Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Thought that may have been the case.

I’ll take your word for it.

I certainly know similar to a team mate in front of the PTB, the scrum half can’t be placed inside if the ball moves in front of him. 

It’s one of the problems with our sport. There are a few laws which are absurd and far too many infringements in 80 minutes for a referee to call all of them. When we the fans allow leniency to the laws in order for the “game to flow”, then we can expect to have occasions like this.

It's the fact the officials DON'T call them as to why they occur so often! If you get caught speeding on the same stretch of road every day and increase the punishment each time would you carry on speeding, no you wouldn't. if players were to get pinged for every offence/infraction they commit and thus get penalised out of a game, do you think that would carry on doing the same thing or would they modify their play/behaviour? That we see motorists speeding every single day every time they get into a car is because there is next to no deterrent whatsoever, the consequences are far greater in that they are crashes, injuries and deaths but the thinking in terms of getting away with it is identical.

I've said this countless times, the game could be cleaned up massively if the officials simply enforced the laws of the game from minute 1-80 even if that meant 50 pens a game to start with. Coaches and players would get the message and change behaviour, the game would flow better and be a better spectacle with less shenanigans and controversy and ultimately fewer decisions for officials to make thus giving them an easier job as layers are massively less likely to commit offences for fear of punishment.

The two head shots on Salford players should have both seen a card, it's clear the RFL are all talk and no action, they don't give a stuff about player welfare or 'tackles' like that would be snuffed out for the most part and neck tackles would also be penalised regularly. the 'rubbing heads' BS from someone earlier should also be an instant yellow card offence, it's not rubbing heads, it's someone shoving their head into your face/head deliberately, there's simply no need for it to happen, none, and yet officials ignore it and thus it carries on.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knock the ref bashing on the head, folks.

We don't do that sort of thing on TRL.

The only reason it's gone on as long as it has in here tonight is ckn is on holiday and I've been at the match and too busy to moderate it.

But it stops now.

If you just want to bang on about how the ref ruined everything and was totally biased blah blah blah, find somewhere else to do it.

Thanks.

Congratulations to Saints by far the best team this year.

Well done Salford on a great season.

My god the standard of refereeing in this country is appalling and needs overhauling,getting rid of the fat controller would be a good starting point.

5 hours ago, redsi42 said:

What did he say

“There’s no point bagging the ref - they beat us 23-6. A couple of calls won’t change that, at the end of the day they were too good. There were a couple of calls that were 50/50 but you’ve gotta be able to defend that and have resilience. I don’t like ref bashing so I’m not going to do it. It was his (Chris Kendall’s) first Grand Final and good on him. Everyone moves on from here.”

In the same way the referee never lost us the Challenge Cup Final, Kendall never won us this Grand Final. It’s quite a sad indictment on the game that rather than talking up the team that won and the team that lost, after such a good season, all focus is on the referee. 

Better side for 65-70 minutes and the class and quality of our side won that. 

Again, Luke Thompson, there can’t be many props better on the planet than him. 

43 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

In the same way the referee never lost us the Challenge Cup Final, Kendall never won us this Grand Final. It’s quite a sad indictment on the game that rather than talking up the team that won and the team that lost, after such a good season, all focus is on the referee. 

The problem is it was St Helens who wanted to make the cup final about the referee - no-one else did because he had no impact on the result. It's the height of hypocrisy to decline to say anything about it now.

Some of the decisions in the 2nd half did seem harsh on Salford but the best side won.

I wanted Salford to win but after the season St Helens had it did seem the correct outcome.

It was a great game - and both sets of supporters made some great noise and richly contributed to a decent Final.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Better side for 65-70 minutes and the class and quality of our side won that. 

Again, Luke Thompson, there can’t be many props better on the planet than him. 

Thompson is very good, and I say this lightly the measure you are judging him by is far different to the rigours that a prop forward in the NRL performs in. It is without question that the game in Australia over the course of a season is much more difficult for a prop to sustain great performance's week after week just as Luke does over here against 'weaker' opposition. I am taking nothing away from Luke he can only play what is Infront of him.

I am really hoping he can replicate his SL form in the up coming series against some quite formidable opposition packs, if he does then without any fear of contradiction we can lay claim that in SL we have one of the best front rowers on the planet.

PS I hope that Walmesley is not cig papers thickness behind him.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Fascinating reading back because, as a spectator at Old Trafford, I thought Saints were comfortably the better side throughout (bar a 10-minute spell at the end of the first half) and completely deserved their 17-point win.

Yes, whilst I enjoy a pile-on at Saints expense, we need to be careful not to act as badly as many Saints fans did after the Challenge Cup. I dont think it was all about the ref, I thought Saints were pretty dominant. 

Saints may have got the rub of the green, but they were the better side, and mistakes happen.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thompson is very good, and I say this lightly the measure you are judging him by is far different to the rigours that a prop forward in the NRL performs in. It is without question that the game in Australia over the course of a season is much more difficult for a prop to sustain great performance's week after week just as Luke does over here against 'weaker' opposition. I am taking nothing away from Luke he can only play what is Infront of him.

I am really hoping he can replicate his SL form in the up coming series against some quite formidable opposition packs, if he does then without any fear of contradiction we can lay claim that in SL we have one of the best front rowers on the planet.

PS I hope that Walmesley is not cig papers thickness behind him.

I think the evidence we have seen of forwards going there and Aussie forwards coming here shows that we can make pretty certain judgements of quality of SL forwards.

Saints deserved champions. Clearly the best team in a competition full of average sides.

One of the commentators last night declared them the best Super League team ever. Relative to their contemporaries this may have some merit when you look at the winning margin but I'm not sure they'd have run away with the league had the overall standard been higher. I'd love to see them tested a bit more next season if others raise their game. The potential is there to be a truly great team. 

57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the evidence we have seen of forwards going there and Aussie forwards coming here shows that we can make pretty certain judgements of quality of SL forwards.

Granted most of the individuals who have gone there have performed admirably, Luke would have to proove himself in that company, others like your own Mike Cooper who personally I think is one of our better props in SL didn't quite hack it, it is up to the individuals.

And I would also comment on the Aussie forwards who come over here, hand on heart David do you consider we have the best they can offer? In the main the Aussie player's (any position) we get in the UK are surplus to requirement in the NRL, you will be able to point at a small number and say what about such a body, that is  granted, but just to put your comparison in respect, you can bet those forwards of ours over there will be present international player's, the best we can offer, that does not reciprocate itself with those who come here from Aus, for whatever the reason they do not come.

9 hours ago, redjonn said:

Saints were overwhelming the better team.  Salford made early crucial  errors that helped Saints to pile on the pressure and keep play in Salfords half, helping to zap their mental and physical energies. That in itself as in most RL games meant Salford would struggle in later part of game.

In the second half Saints sustained a stranglehold on Salford, keeping them pressed back. Salford really struggled against Saints tackling and defensive efforts. If we are having to talk ref he had no impact on Saints total dominance, although if I had to be critical I would say he allowed Salford often to move from the mark.... it made no difference  to Saints suffocating tackling and defence and better attacking performance..

Why on earth we have to focus on individual ref decisions when one team were so dominant, so much stronger and so much better.

I do hope that Salford are able to build on their first grand final appearance.  They played well and I didn't begin to relax until halfway through the second half.  At the end of the first half I was convinced Saints were in trouble.  It was great to see Salford at OT and I really do hope they are back there soon.

I think it’s refreshing to read the magnanimous comments from Salford fans, players and their officials. After the dispiriting, concerted systemic abuse of the refs and system from all and sundry associated with St Helens, which followed the Challenge Cup it is great to see true class. They may have lost on the night, but they showed themselves to be true champions, 

12 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

After all the pressure the entire Saints club from top to bottom put on officials after Wembley, it was inevitable that they would get all the calls they needed tonight, exactly when they needed them. We will never know what might have been, which is a shame, but it is certainly job done as far as McManus is concerned.

While clearly tarnishing tonight’s “achievement”, we can only hope that this sort of pre meditated hatchet job on officials doesn’t become  the norm. 

?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, whilst I enjoy a pile-on at Saints expense, we need to be careful not to act as badly as many Saints fans did after the Challenge Cup. I dont think it was all about the ref, I thought Saints were pretty dominant. 

Saints may have got the rub of the green, but they were the better side, and mistakes happen.

Indeed but as can be often seen the rub of the green and dominance can often go hand in hand.

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Granted most of the individuals who have gone there have performed admirably, Luke would have to proove himself in that company, others like your own Mike Cooper who personally I think is one of our better props in SL didn't quite hack it, it is up to the individuals.

And I would also comment on the Aussie forwards who come over here, hand on heart David do you consider we have the best they can offer? In the main the Aussie player's (any position) we get in the UK are surplus to requirement in the NRL, you will be able to point at a small number and say what about such a body, that is  granted, but just to put your comparison in respect, you can bet those forwards of ours over there will be present international player's, the best we can offer, that does not reciprocate itself with those who come here from Aus, for whatever the reason they do not come.

Mike Cooper absolutely did hack it in the NRL.

12 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I am told it was a great time at Media City.  Lots of Saints fans and a peaceful demo by the Kurdish community. A beleagured oppressed people, forgotten by the world at large. And the Kurds as well.

Apologies, I must confess that it is not my own joke.

(In fact it was probably first told on Workers Playtime, 1956)

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

OK, re Mr Cooper, and the other points I made, respectfully I answered yours.

Ok, Cooper played 69 NRL games. He was well respected and earned an England call up, doing well against some of the worlds best at club level and internationally.

On the other point, we dont need to see Thompson in the NRL to make a call on his talent. We can see it, and if people feel the need to benchmark, then we have more than enough reference points, we have had plenty of overseas players who have had substantial NRL experience and played here for us to compare to. Some big names have done well, others less so, whilst some modest names have done well and been firm favourites here 

We also have the reference point of the forwards that have gone over recently to be able to compare to. 

It doesn't really matter on the quality of player coming here, they have substantial NRL experience and we can see that Thompson is an excellent player.

I'm not sure players need to go to the NRL to 'prove themselves', and I think fans are more than capable of recognising talented players.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ok, Cooper played 69 NRL games. He was well respected and earned an England call up, doing well against some of the worlds best at club level and internationally.

On the other point, we dont need to see Thompson in the NRL to make a call on his talent. We can see it, and if people feel the need to benchmark, then we have more than enough reference points, we have had plenty of overseas players who have had substantial NRL experience and played here for us to compare to. Some big names have done well, others less so, whilst some modest names have done well and been firm favourites here 

We also have the reference point of the forwards that have gone over recently to be able to compare to. 

It doesn't really matter on the quality of player coming here, they have substantial NRL experience and we can see that Thompson is an excellent player.

I'm not sure players need to go to the NRL to 'prove themselves', and I think fans are more than capable of recognising talented players.

It's all about perpective David, if a lowly ranked international 400 meter runner was competing against a club runner in a one lap race he would undoubtedly look very fast, now pitch that same guy in a World or Olympic final and he would be nowhere near at the finish probably finishing yards behind.

I really want our guy's to be the best, but to do that they have to compete against the best and prove themselves in that company, of all the high profile guy's who have gone from our shore's to the NRL never once have I heard them say I am going for the money, it is always I want to proove myself with and against the best. 

I think we are all capable of recognising talented players, I spend a lot of time watching the community game, and the conversation often gets round to the quality of a particular player and of how good or great he is, but again putting that into perspective we are measuring him against his contemporaries, the 'great' accolade we have given him, we know would not be as relevant if he made the next step up in competing at a higher level, he would have to proove himself at that level.

If you disagree with me that the NRL is a better standard, with many more better player's and played at a much higher intensity than SL, then discussion over, but if you don't and agree with me, respectfully I can't see the point of your argument.

Archived