Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

49 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

What did happen is that the referee/officials made a significant number of errors that had a bearing, all have an effect on the game/scoreline. 

Utter rubbish.

There was only one decision that may have had a bearing on the scoreline and that was the one I pointed out above.  Any other so-called errors had no bearing on anything because Salford had plenty of time and opportunity to defend them.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Not even the best Saints side in SL, Clarke is just there to spout nonsense/fill in gaps between the commentary, if you can call it that.

This side have been called the best because they broke a record in finishing top of the league by 16 points, which is the greatest margin in 124 years.

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Utter rubbish.

There was only one decision that may have had a bearing on the scoreline and that was the one I pointed out above.  Any other so-called errors had no bearing on anything because Salford had plenty of time and opportunity to defend them.

So the 2 Saints tries that should have had penalties to Salford in the build up  didn't affect the scoreline. How odd.

Fages clearly didn't retreat behind the scrum as he is supposed to do and created the gap for Taia as a result. That is plain as day.

The 3rd try Saints clearly stripped the ball but no penalty to Salford and instead Saints were given the ball and scored. Again plain as day.

Well I the game. I was surprised by the calls that went against Salford, what were the TJs doing surely they could have helped out.

Saints were by far the better side ball in hand, the speed of the play the ball was difficult to deal with.

The atmosphere was incredible, the noise in the Salford end was almost constant, I'm not a huge fan of football grounds as I feel detached from the game especially when watching behind the sticks. 

Hope it isn't too long before Salford are involved in another one. Met up with fans I haven't seen in years as we now stand in the different parts of the ground.

No, just that at the Willows we all stood in the shed, now those same fans are spread across South and West stand and in the west stand I see less people as that is significantly bigger than the old shed.

One fans did travel over from Sydney as well so it explains that ?

3 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Who on here or anywhere on social media has said that Kendall won you the GF, I can't say I'm a twatter follower but I've read Graun and FB comments (not all of them) and a fair few RL fans too, I haven't read anywhere that have said that Kendall cost Salford the trophy?

What did happen is that the referee/officials made a significant number of errors that had a bearing, all have an effect on the game/scoreline. Saints were the better side on the night but not by the scoreline as it ended up, I'm not interested in what they did in the league, they didn't 'deserve' it on the back of that, they were the best side but that's a different competition, no side ever deserves to win a competiton based on their previous form/play, it's what they do in the game that matters.

However when you're getting a leg up, playing well is made all the easier to do so and harder for the opposition to match when they are having multiple decisions go against them through no fault of their own. This does change the mentality (of both teams) and it also has an effect physically too. Without those incorrect decisions would the outright outcome be different, probably not, but it would have been a hell of a lot closer, at least competitive and not look like one team is getting favoured officiating which puts a negative spin on the match/occasion.

The key to the game for me.. was the early unforced errors by Salford that enabled Saints to "pitch tent" in Salfords half/last 20. Zapping Salfords mental and physical energies that as in any RL game normally means they will lose the "energy battle" some way into the 2nd half. Normally ensuring that the other team totally dominant from that point on.

If any negative spin for our preferred underdogs not winning it was those Salford errors and not being able to cope with the pressure early on.

That's what happened for me... those errors early on lost the game more than any debatable ref decisions.... including ones that Saints could have been awarded but were not.

19 hours ago, redsi42 said:

What did he say

When asked about the poor ref decisions he said something like ‘I’m not going to bag the ref, look at the scoreboard...best team won’

Eamon McMoanus take note

Not seen the entire thread so apologies if this has been already posted :

Hats off to the good folk behind Manchester's traffic alerts...

IMG-20191012-WA0000.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

57 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

When asked about the poor ref decisions he said something like ‘I’m not going to bag the ref, look at the scoreboard...best team won’

Eamon McMoanus take note

God only knows what would have happened if Saints had lost due to a "Controversial" call.

MacManus would have spontanueously combusted. 

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

And yet you still couldn't be arsed going to the stadium to watch them?

What?  I've been to the stadium lots over the course of the season to watch them.  I went to Wembley to watch them.  

Just now, Saintslass said:

What?  I've been to the stadium lots over the course of the season to watch them.  I went to Wembley to watch them.  

But you didn't manage to travel the 20 or so miles to OT to see the best team in SL history play in the GF?

Some fans just don't deserve the team they are given.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

But you didn't manage to travel the 20 or so miles to OT to see the best team in SL history play in the GF?

Some fans just don't deserve the team they are given.

That's right.  I couldn't be bothered.  Sure.  I'd suggest you keep your inappropriate comments to yourself.

Just now, Saintslass said:

That's right.  I couldn't be bothered.  Sure.  I'd suggest you keep your inappropriate comments to yourself.

But my comment was very appropriate.

I simply stated a fact. You, as a self confessed Saints fan, couldn't be bothered to follow your team 20 miles to watch them in the biggest game of the season.

You seem very quick to praise them, and defend them, but not that quick to get in the car and go and watch them.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

But my comment was very appropriate.

I simply stated a fact. You, as a self confessed Saints fan, couldn't be bothered to follow your team 20 miles to watch them in the biggest game of the season.

You seem very quick to praise them, and defend them, but not that quick to get in the car and go and watch them.

Er, I don't have a car.

Like I said, you should keep your inappropriate comments to yourself.  

1 minute ago, Barca Mum said:

Good Salford support I've been to many sporting events but never heard the c word used so much by the supporters not offended by swearing I get supporters passionate about their team but perhaps a step too far considering I was in family area

I agree with you.

However, Man United's stewards are among the worst in any sport. They will do very little, if anything, to persuade anyone to stop using language like that.

We used to have a corporate table at Old Trafford, and I once took some Everton fans to watch a game there against Man U. The way they were treated by the stewards was the final straw for me, and having held that £20,000 per season table for 10 years, we never went back.

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It was an intriguing tactic that I picked up on. Not something you see much of, but they seemed to go for the power play every time when on the try line rather than finish with a kick and hope.

That tactic is made vastly easier when the gap between the defenders and attackers is allowed to narrow significantly than the laws state, at one point I thought the Saints D were going to take the first pass from the dummy half of Salford, it was so blatantly obvious and that on top of the other poor decision making by the man in the middle compounded matters further.

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:25, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

The two head shots on Salford players should have both seen a card, it's clear the RFL are all talk and no action, they don't give a stuff about player welfare or 'tackles' like that would be snuffed out for the most part and neck tackles would also be penalised regularly. the 'rubbing heads' BS from someone earlier should also be an instant yellow card offence, it's not rubbing heads, it's someone shoving their head into your face/head deliberately, there's simply no need for it to happen, none, and yet officials ignore it and thus it carries on.

Presumably then you also think Dudson should have been sin-binned for his head shot on Thompson ? After all it was a swinging arm with direct contact to the head & neck.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived