Fri 11 Oct: Women's SLGF: Castleford Tigers v Leeds Rhinos KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more
    • Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points
    • Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/10/19 at 18:30

thought it were a great game a rugby played tough, a lot a talant on show too and the cas 9 peach can come support leaky at our place all day long,she controled everything for the 80, bet theres a few sore bones this morning but love to know how many tuned in to see that game.stand proud.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Oh, and they are WOMEN Gary, not ladies. It's just like where we have the "mens" game, not the "gentlemens".

Women can be women or ladies.  It isn't for men, other women, gentlemen or other ladies to decide whether a female wants to be known as a woman or a lady or a girl or in fact whether she cares one way or the other.

Personally, as a female, I don't care whether a man/gentleman wants to call me a woman or a lady.  Older gents in particular call females ladies; it's their culture.  It's about respect.  For older gents, calling a female a lady is often a mark of respect.

Schofield is right in one sense: the standard of the female game is low when compared to the male game and if some of my sex want to be patronised by being told how superb their standard is at present then that's their look-out.  I'd rather have the truth and then the female game can improve, aim higher over time, which is a good thing in sport.

Schofield made his usual deliberate error by making a valid point (the standard needs to improve) in an insulting way and at the wrong time (next week would have been better), which is the way he operates consistently and so I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist about it really.  He stirs the pot.  It's how he sees his role.

Schofield has achieved what he wanted. To divert the conversation away from what is a great story about a great event and the development of the womens game to some pointless discussion on the relative quality of the game and players.

Are we going to dismiss every female sporting event and achievement because of its relative quality against the mens version.  That is certainly what the likes of Schofield want.

This was the highest standard of the womens game and that is all that matters.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Schofield is right in one sense: the standard of the female game is low when compared to the male game and if some of my sex want to be patronised by being told how superb their standard is at present then that's their look-out.  I'd rather have the truth and then the female game can improve, aim higher over time, which is a good thing in sport.

Agree 100%. 

It did resemble a kids game at times and there’s lots of room for improvement, from core skills to attacking structure.

Do I think that it was a waste of time? Absolutely not. It was a highly entertaining game and I can only see huge growth in the women’s game.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Agree 100%. 

It did resemble a kids game at times and there’s lots of room for improvement, from core skills to attacking structure.

Do I think that it was a waste of time? Absolutely not. It was a highly entertaining game and I can only see huge growth in the women’s game.

Exactly.

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Schofield has achieved what he wanted. To divert the conversation away from what is a great story about a great event and the development of the womens game to some pointless discussion on the relative quality of the game and players.

Are we going to dismiss every female sporting event and achievement because of its relative quality against the mens version.  That is certainly what the likes of Schofield want.

This was the highest standard of the womens game and that is all that matters.

It will be a 'great event' when the standard overall is higher and more than 1,600 people want to watch the final!  In the meantime, it is developing nicely and the greater exposure given to it by Sky this year will definitely help.  The crowd was the highest so far for a female final and that is a good thing.  It's all looking good but there is a long way to go and personally I'd much prefer people to discuss the actual situation rather than hype up something simply because it's females doing it.

You could be (quite rightly) critical about the handling, especially when catching kicks, but I was entertained by a good contest.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

It will be a 'great event' when the standard overall is higher and more than 1,600 people want to watch the final!  In the meantime, it is developing nicely and the greater exposure given to it by Sky this year will definitely help.  The crowd was the highest so far for a female final and that is a good thing.  It's all looking good but there is a long way to go and personally I'd much prefer people to discuss the actual situation rather than hype up something simply because it's females doing it.

Why does the standard have to be higher for it to be a great event? I didn't watch the English Academy beat the Australian Schoolboys last year and immediately dismiss it because those kids would lose to a League 1 side. I don't dismiss the National Conference final because the competing teams would be hammered by St Helens.

It is possible to enjoy something without constantly cross referencing it to something that is supposedly a higher quality.

Yes, the standard of the Womens game will improve but why are we not allowed to say it was a great event yet?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

What happens when the hemispheres meet and who sets the rules? I watched a recording earlier in the day of the Aussie version and its still 30 minute halves. Theres a huge difference between a 60 minute game and a 80 minute game with the same substitution rule.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Why does the standard have to be higher for it to be a great event? I didn't watch the English Academy beat the Australian Schoolboys last year and immediately dismiss it because those kids would lose to a League 1 side. I don't dismiss the National Conference final because the competing teams would be hammered by St Helens.

It is possible to enjoy something without constantly cross referencing it to something that is supposedly a higher quality.

Yes, the standard of the Womens game will improve but why are we not allowed to say it was a great event yet?

I haven't dismissed anything, as is quite clear from my posts.

I doubt Schofield was dismissing it either.  He was simply criticising it, as is his way.  But ultimately Schofield loves the game and while I don't know him personally and so cannot say anything for certain, my guess would be that he wants all aspects of the game to be played to as high a standard as possible.

I say that the female game can get much better but that doesn't mean that a particular game wasn't entertaining or worthwhile.  I believe yesterday's final was both.  

Female soccer had the same challenges and its played on fields everywhere.  Now look at it.  While it may never attract the same attention that the men's game attracts - but it might - it's certainly a lot better supported (by fans, sponsors and the media) than it was a decade ago.  We have to start somewhere and we have only really just begun.  It's a good start and we enjoy it but let's not airbrush the tricky bits.  We don't airbrush standards out of the male game, let's not airbrush them out of the female game either.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

I doubt Schofield was dismissing it either.  He was simply criticising it, as is his way.  But ultimately Schofield loves the game and while I don't know him personally and so cannot say anything for certain, my guess would be that he wants all aspects of the game to be played to as high a standard as possible.

I say that the female game can get much better but that doesn't mean that a particular game wasn't entertaining or worthwhile.  I believe yesterday's final was both.  

Female soccer had the same challenges and its played on fields everywhere.  Now look at it.  While it may never attract the same attention that the men's game attracts - but it might - it's certainly a lot better supported (by fans, sponsors and the media) than it was a decade ago.  We have to start somewhere and we have only really just begun.  It's a good start and we enjoy it but let's not airbrush the tricky bits.  We don't airbrush standards out of the male game, let's not airbrush them out of the female game either.

I am not airbrushing the standards out of the Women's game, I am happy to identify parts that can (and will) improve. I am simply saying that we should do this relative to the womens game itself and not cross referencing it to the quality of other games.

As for Schofield, I think you are being very kind to him, I absolutely believe his intention was to dismiss the game rather than encourage development. 

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not airbrushing the standards out of the Women's game, I am happy to identify parts that can (and will) improve. I am simply saying that we should do this relative to the womens game itself and not cross referencing it to the quality of other games.

As for Schofield, I think you are being very kind to him, I absolutely believe his intention was to dismiss the game rather than encourage development. 

Given that a grand final is the pinnacle of rugby league (well one of them; I believe the Challenge Cup is the other!), it is very difficult to improve parts of the female game relative to itself.  It has to aim for the standards set in the male game.  

23 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

There's a big difference between mentioning the errors and saying it was like a children's game. Even he could have worded it better, but he went for the cheap jeer and the clicks.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Given that a grand final is the pinnacle of rugby league (well one of them; I believe the Challenge Cup is the other!), it is very difficult to improve parts of the female game relative to itself.  It has to aim for the standards set in the male game.  

I believe that it is entirely possible to strive for continuous improvement without having to reference the mens game.

However as this conversation has somewhat derailed the conversation from what was a great game and a great win for Leeds, I will leave it there.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

As a 20 year veteran of the women's game , What Schofield doesn't get is that is the irony that it is the antiquated and misogynistic attitudes that he's displayed in his initial tweet that have held back the women's game in the past ....not the efforts of the players on the field ...

Schofield has deleted his original tweet and posted an apology.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Schofield has deleted his original tweet and posted an apology.

Wuss.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

17 hours ago, DEANO said:

I do hope the lady with the head injury is ok. Looked really nasty

The bump went down and she caught a plane yesterday to go to the 9's competition.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The bump went down and she caught a plane yesterday to go to the 9's competition.  

Great news, she is a quality player and I am looking forward to seeing how both our England teams go in the Nines.

On 12/10/2019 at 09:18, cookey said:

totalrl,John Drake and Martyn Sadler must be proud to be associated with this rather sad,inadequate individual.

So much for promoting Rugby League,suppose it's all about clicks isn't it Martyn?

What a dumb and ignorant comment.

Archived