Does amateur RL have an image problem?  

Does amateur RL have an image problem?  

About 1hr 16min on the video.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

no, it doesn't have a bad image, far less than amateur soccer IMO.

no.3 starts proceedings off with a swinging arm to a tackled player already on the ground and it progresses on from there.

TRL describing it as a 'King hit' I find unpalatable, call it for what it is a disgusting assault, acts like that should always get reported to police and police should always prosecute to the fullest of the law.

Now, I don’t watch much amateur rugby at all, the only time I do is if I’m up North, so I may not be the best person to answer this but I’ve never seen anything of the sort in amateur games I’ve seen. 

However, is this an isolated incident? I can’t say I’ve seen any news about similar incidents in amateur rugby league. Whether it’s going unreported because cameras aren’t there, I don’t know but this doesn’t seem standard practice in amateur rugby league and appears to be a damaging headline from a designated rugby league newspaper, which is sad. 

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Now, I don’t watch much amateur rugby at all, the only time I do is if I’m up North, so I may not be the best person to answer this but I’ve never seen anything of the sort in amateur games I’ve seen. 

However, is this an isolated incident? I can’t say I’ve seen any news about similar incidents in amateur rugby league. Whether it’s going unreported because cameras aren’t there, I don’t know but this doesn’t seem standard practice in amateur rugby league and appears to be a damaging headline from a designated rugby league newspaper, which is sad. 

You do get the occasional act of thuggery but thankfully it's pretty rare these days,the only major incident I've witnessed was in our home NCL game a couple of seasons ago when a Mayfield player knocked out one of ours from behind,he was sent off and suspended for the rest of the season.

So in answer to the original post I would say no,amateur RL dosent have a problem

I watch quite a lot of amateur rugby league and this is very rare, certainly compared to the standards of previous decades.

The top amateur leagues have very good players and is a very good standard, some younger age groups have some troubles but nothing like it was

So I don't say no the modern amateur game doesn't have an image problem, these are isolated incidents and should be harshly punished to discourage future repeats

Cheap shot from a coward.

Well done to the Langworthy lads who showed concern for the player on the ground. I just wish they also told the number 3 he is not welcome in the club any more.

Playing North West Counties in the 1980's & 90's this type of incident is typical of a local nutter looking to play the sport to just spoil for a fight.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Very rare nowadays to see all out fighting in amateur RL. That said, there does seem to be a divide - NCL barely ever see any incidents of this kind but the regional leagues seem to have far more (in relative terms) of this kind of thing. The Pennine League up until probably 2 seasons was still full of a lot of intimidating, spoiling for a fight 'village' teams. Thankfully, the worst of them seems to have folded and/or been kicked out of the league system. 

17 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

no, it doesn't have a bad image, far less than amateur soccer IMO.

no.3 starts proceedings off with a swinging arm to a tackled player already on the ground and it progresses on from there.

TRL describing it as a 'King hit' I find unpalatable, call it for what it is a disgusting assault, acts like that should always get reported to police and police should always prosecute to the fullest of the law.

I didn’t know you used the term “king hit” in the UK. In Australia they are also called a “coward punch”. 

3 hours ago, Copa said:

I didn’t know you used the term “king hit” in the UK. In Australia they are also called a “coward punch”. 

quite, typical copy cat nonsense, I thought it originated in USA as I've heard it used there a lot, 'dog shot' is another I've heard from Aus, either way it's the type of assault that should get you a couple of months at her majesty's pleasure.

Langworthy 3 got what he deserved for mine.

The main issue for me is our media making it to be far worse than it was. For me it wasn't a cheap shot to start with. the 3 was thowing them about looking for it and was confronting again so got one!

To have the media highlighting a now very minimal part of a sport in professional and amateur decline is a total disgrace.

How many parents considering taking or already having kids in the system will look at their highlighted tweet and say I arent having my kid involved with that.

If it was like the Fryston Keighley incident previosuly fair enough. But that is a down right attempt for views and clicks and is more disgusting and disgraceful than what occurred on the pitch for me

Disgusting shocking incident . I’m all for eye to eye , toe to toe biff but that’s not two guys having a go  it’s a cowardly assault . On the street you’re in deep after that and just coz you’re on a sports pitch should be no difference 

16 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Langworthy 3 got what he deserved for mine.

The main issue for me is our media making it to be far worse than it was. For me it wasn't a cheap shot to start with. the 3 was thowing them about looking for it and was confronting again so got one!

To have the media highlighting a now very minimal part of a sport in professional and amateur decline is a total disgrace.

How many parents considering taking or already having kids in the system will look at their highlighted tweet and say I arent having my kid involved with that.

If it was like the Fryston Keighley incident previosuly fair enough. But that is a down right attempt for views and clicks and is more disgusting and disgraceful than what occurred on the pitch for me

Find it a bit odd that the part of this you call a disgrace is the media coverage of it? How can the media make this look worse than it was? And yes, it's exactly assaults like this which make me worry about my own sons playing. 

I'm seriously questioning whether you saw the full incident as you talk about '3 got what he deserved' - well no not really, he barely had a hand laid on him. It's the sucker punch 3 puts on the number 5 Chorley player after the brawl we're all talking about. 

image.png.b2e734e0a070fd9802443353755b4a9e.png

I am glad he has been banned for life but I don't think it is a case for the courts.

The problem with sports like Rugby League is that a lot of what is legal on the pitch is illegal on the street... three sixteen stone blokes running after you, hitting you hard and throwing you to the ground is illegal on the street. 

There would be some really clear cut cases, like this one, and loads and loads of grey areas with no end of problems.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am glad he has been banned for life but I don't think it is a case for the courts.

The problem with sports like Rugby League is that a lot of what is legal on the pitch is illegal on the street... three sixteen stone blokes running after you, hitting you hard and throwing you to the ground is illegal on the street. 

There would be some really clear cut cases, like this one, and loads and loads of grey areas with no end of problems.

Playing hard and tackling hard are one thing.

Walking up to a player and king hitting him when he is unaware he is about to be assaulted is something else.

That is assault whether its on the pitch or in the Town center after a night on the lash.

Plenty of people have died or had their life changed permanently from attacks like this.

Archived