Dr Marwan

On 08/10/2019 at 18:36, graveyard johnny said:

a foul individual with his own interest at heart that  left his latest toy to die- well done Salford on their own merits 

Sorry , did the guy not write off 5,000,000 quid of his own cash . Yes he may not be your cup of tea but that hardly seems self serving . And someone please tell we where Leigh would be without Beaumont . Fair play to them for putting money in to the game . 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/10/2019 at 20:22, JohnM said:

Perhaps that is why he's made money when the rest of us haven't. He might be daft, but he's less daft than most of us. 

We can't have his money without his say, which is how it is bound to be, in my view. 

Give the game money without oversight and it will just disappear down, the drain

Exactly .

On 08/10/2019 at 19:05, Red Willow said:

Marwen saved Salford. At the point he joined the club was dead. He was badly advised at the start by people including a certain Mr Chambers.

He is responsible for funding Jackson Hastings and Joey Lusick when they first came.

I'd be happy if he left his money in the game but left the decisions to the experts.

Fair comment , and I think in hindsight he would have done a lot of things differently . But hats off to him because no way would Salford be at the GF if he hadn’t stepped in .

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nobby bought a load of over the hill aged players and tried to mould them into a cohesive unit, it didn't work.

How much say did he have in the signings?

they had no recent success so wee struggling to attract the best young players, buying playing a little older were suppose to be something to build on and bring quicker success

it didn't work to the extent they expected, and it got worse when they got rid of nobby, had they kept faith and built more slowly they would have benefited from the stability

it took a while for them to work that out and look at them now

1 hour ago, Fuzzy said:

How much say did he have in the signings?

they had no recent success so wee struggling to attract the best young players, buying playing a little older were suppose to be something to build on and bring quicker success

it didn't work to the extent they expected, and it got worse when they got rid of nobby, had they kept faith and built more slowly they would have benefited from the stability

it took a while for them to work that out and look at them now

No that ain't the case Fuzzy, Nobby was the architect behind the Salford team, he was hired as coach by Marwen and that was the first of the bad advice he was given, don't forget that Marwen was relatively new to the sport he had the cash but not the knowledge so having been told by someone that Nobby was "The best coach around that was available" he paid him to be the leader of his team and gave him carte blanche on who he wanted to sign.

Nobby had a good record as the Bradford coach, having inherited a very good team when Matty Elliott went back to Aus, but please don't  tell me his teams played good football, he was blessed with having 3  very good players in the Paul Brothers and Mick Withers, and a team of power houses, he had a game 'A' plan of wear 'em out down the middle, and when game 'A' failed all he had to revert to was err game 'A', no other structure, and look at his record after leaving the Bulls, it ain't very good. He was one of those fortunates in life that he was in the right place at the right time.

And that is my interpretation, if you disagree that is your prerogative to do so Fuzzy.

On 08/10/2019 at 19:05, Red Willow said:

Marwen saved Salford. At the point he joined the club was dead. He was badly advised at the start by people including a certain Mr Chambers.

He is responsible for funding Jackson Hastings and Joey Lusick when they first came.

I'd be happy if he left his money in the game but left the decisions to the experts.

Hastings and lussick live in koucash's House rent free 

He was a couple of places behind me in the queue for a pie at half time and seemed to have plenty of time for those who wanted a chat or a selfie.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Salford are no where near the cap. It is funny that many of the things Marwen was saying 3 years ago are being said by others now.

Nooby and Harris just signed anyone who was available with little regard to how they fitted together.

On 13/10/2019 at 08:38, The Future is League said:

I would like to see Marwan help David Hughes out financially at London Broncos

That strikes me as a really worthwhile effort. 

15 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Really? I know quite a number of rich people, and 90% of them are as daft as a box of frogs.

No you don’t. 

On 13/10/2019 at 08:38, The Future is League said:

I would like to see Marwan help David Hughes out financially at London Broncos

Hughes seems a sensible bloke, why would he want that clown involved?

On 08/10/2019 at 18:36, graveyard johnny said:

a foul individual with his own interest at heart that  left his latest toy to die- well done Salford on their own merits 

That is harsh. You could argue that he likes drawing attention to himself on a regular basis but the way he left Salford deserves a lot of credit. Salford's path to the Grand Final was of course at least partially  built on actions from Koukash.

38 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

That strikes me as a really worthwhile effort. 

I honestly don’t, and that having spent thousands of pounds over the years watching the Broncos. London will never have a big club, the market is simply not there for a “London” club,  and it doesn’t need one to serve its dual purposes of hosting massive RL events, and developing players. And Mr H has plenty enough money. 

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I honestly don’t, and that having spent thousands of pounds over the years watching the Broncos. London will never have a big club, the market is simply not there for a “London” club,  and it doesn’t need one to serve its dual purposes of hosting massive RL events, and developing players. And Mr H has plenty enough money. 

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am a big fan of Dr K. He signs actual cheques and pays actual money to get teams on the field. That’s enough for me. I wish we had 100s of them. I hope he felt proud on Saturday, as his club did him so proud. 

Your comments are interesting. I'm surprised though at the finality of your conclusion that London will never have a big club.

I take your point that London doesn't need a big club to host massive events or to develop players but I think the game would benefit, by a big club in London and its ability to host (and fill) massive events would be enhanced by the existence of a big club there. The same goes for the development of young players. I don't believe the game has ever invested in the development of the game in a professional manner, in London or anywhere else for that matter and the growth which has come about has been as a result of the ad-hoc, random efforts of plucky enthusiasts unwilling to take ''no'' for an answer.

Thankfully Newcastle are demonstrating that it is possible to spread the game in virgin territory, with the right approach. We just need to model what they are doing and treat it with the respect it deserves and replicate the model elsewhere (London especially).

As a salesman, I believe you can sell an excellent product anywhere.  Even in the harshest and most hostile environment, if you are skillful at what you do.

I'm not prepared to accept that the game will ''never'' have a big club in London, but the seeds have to be planted far and wide, tended to and nurtured till its possible to harvest everything the club needs from London.

On 14/10/2019 at 16:23, fighting irish said:

Your comments are interesting. I'm surprised though at the finality of your conclusion that London will never have a big club.

I take your point that London doesn't need a big club to host massive events or to develop players but I think the game would benefit, by a big club in London and its ability to host (and fill) massive events would be enhanced by the existence of a big club there. The same goes for the development of young players. I don't believe the game has ever invested in the development of the game in a professional manner, in London or anywhere else for that matter and the growth which has come about has been as a result of the ad-hoc, random efforts of plucky enthusiasts unwilling to take ''no'' for an answer.

Thankfully Newcastle are demonstrating that it is possible to spread the game in virgin territory, with the right approach. We just need to model what they are doing and treat it with the respect it deserves and replicate the model elsewhere (London especially).

As a salesman, I believe you can sell an excellent product anywhere.  Even in the harshest and most hostile environment, if you are skillful at what you do.

I'm not prepared to accept that the game will ''never'' have a big club in London, but the seeds have to be planted far and wide, tended to and nurtured till its possible to harvest everything the club needs from London.

It would be interesting to see how much each club actually invests or has invested.  I know that at one time it was very good in Hull and far from ad hoc.  Not so now, given the drop off in amateur clubs in the area but I’m guessing that last part really.

Personally, I think there is plenty of scope in London, just by population.  Kids will play any sport if you give them opportunity.  Just depends on how motivated the relevant LB people are and whether the budget is sufficient.

Archived