Greece v Scotland - Nov 1 - New River, London

IM2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you really think Lachlan Coote spent his childhood dreaming of pulling on a Scotland RL shirt, or indeed any of the Englishmen playing for Scotland?

What’s that got to do with it? Do you think that the Tongans and Samoans born and bred in Australia and NZ wouldn’t have dreamed of playing in the green and gold or black ? Or is it only people of pacific island heritage that are ‘allowed’ to be heritage players ?  I maybe a bit controversial here and some people will maybe find this a bit uncomfortable. When Aussies or Kiwis are non white or not Maori. Apparently that’s ok for them to represent their heritage and culture. But if it’s an Anglo Saxon/European that represents a different country to their birth, then it’s wrong. It seems to me it’s only, some, English people that have a problem with this. As a Welshman, I have no problem with anyone who has a Welsh qualification, birth, heritage or residency, representing my country. And nor do I have any problem with any other player qualifying for any other country playing International Rugby League. Do we have to quiz players on how much they feel Scottish/Welsh/English etc ??

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

What’s that got to do with it? Do you think that the Tongans and Samoans born and bred in Australia and NZ wouldn’t have dreamed of playing in the green and gold or black ? Or is it only people of pacific island heritage that are ‘allowed’ to be heritage players ?  I maybe a bit controversial here and some people will maybe find this a bit uncomfortable. When Aussies or Kiwis are non white or not Maori. Apparently that’s ok for them to represent their heritage and culture. But if it’s an Anglo Saxon/European that represents a different country to their birth, then it’s wrong. It seems to me it’s only, some, English people that have a problem with this. As a Welshman, I have no problem with anyone who has a Welsh qualification, birth, heritage or residency, representing my country. And nor do I have any problem with any other player qualifying for any other country playing International Rugby League. Do we have to quiz players on how much they feel Scottish/Welsh/English etc ??

Absolutely agree. 

It is a shame that just about every thread about an international game gets turned into this borefest 

18 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one mate. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Why can't people be proud of their heritage/bloodline. 

I was born in Australia but none of my grandparents were (2 from England, one each from Scotland and Northern Ireland). I would have loved to represent any of those 4 nations equally.

new rise.jpg

Scotland try and conversion in the last seconds. 

FT. Greece 24-42 Scotland. 

Greece should be really proud of that performance, were right in it up to the hour mark. Like most smaller nations, defence a big lacking but looked really good going forward, a lot of speed in their team. 

2 out of 3 in the group qualify, Scotland have now and Greece shouldn't have a problem against Serbia for the other spot if they play like that! We'll all be going down Greece and Jamaica games at the 2021 World Cup! Whoever said rugby league was just about 3 nations! 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So can you explain why Tongans who are born and bred in Australia are ok to play for Tonga, but Scots who are born and bred in England can’t play for Scotland? Is it because Australians who don’t look like ‘Australians’ are ok to play for their ‘heritage’ nation, but Scots can’t, because they were born in England and look ‘English’ ?? You have no idea what culture, family and heritage mean to people who do not have a mixture . I am obviously assuming that you are English, born and bred and have no other influences. I may be wrong.

Archived