Why is there no equivalent of the challenge cup in Aus?

On 08/10/2019 at 21:24, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did there used to be? 

There used to be the Panasonic and I think KB (Beer!!) Sponsored midweek cup back when it was the NSW RL in the 70s & early 80s. They were a TV programming type of thing, often played at only one or two grounds, Leichhardt certainly was one I remember attending, and used to include NSW country/district sides one of whom reached the final one year I believe. The games were sometimes played in 4 quarters, more advertising breaks, with a financial reward for the winners etc.

Until the latter rounds the clubs didn't take them too seriously (like here) but the MOM awards were pretty good with a car being awarded to the winner in the final on a few occasions if I remember correctly, but it was a long time ago so I might be mistaken?

41 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

There used to be the Panasonic and I think KB (Beer!!) Sponsored midweek cup back when it was the NSW RL in the 70s & early 80s. They were a TV programming type of thing, often played at only one or two grounds, Leichhardt certainly was one I remember attending, and used to include NSW country/district sides one of whom reached the final one year I believe. The games were sometimes played in 4 quarters, more advertising breaks, with a financial reward for the winners etc.

Until the latter rounds the clubs didn't take them too seriously (like here) but the MOM awards were pretty good with a car being awarded to the winner in the final on a few occasions if I remember correctly, but it was a long time ago so I might be mistaken?

UK used to have two cups I thing... Regal trophy or something 

Seems a shame Aus doesn't have one. More chance for success means more interest I think

E.g. Wire fans might be a bit disillusioned and no where as near as big as a club if it were not fir the Challenge Cup

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

UK used to have two cups I thing... Regal trophy or something 

Seems a shame Aus doesn't have one. More chance for success means more interest I think

E.g. Wire fans might be a bit disillusioned and no where as near as big as a club if it were not fir the Challenge Cup

We have had 3 and four cups on occasions,  the Regal Trophy as you mentioned, originally the Players No6 trophy started early 70s till 94, the County Cups which ran till  93/94, the BBC 2 Floodlight trophy from 65 to 80 I think and the infamous Captain Morgan Trophy which lasted one whole season 72/73?? Sorry I'm a bit vauge on the dates but today's not a good day health wise and my book's etc are upstairs and I lack the energy to make unnecessary trips unless nature calls!

As you can see cup games were once a staple part of the game and always caused a rise in excitement and attendences which is why the current situation is perplexing, to dismiss it as being down to season tickets is I feel missing the point and a easy get out, with only one main Knockout tournament it should be the jewel in the crown of the game for all clubs not something to be endured and watered down to a shadow of it's former self.

As above, the Aus Cup comp (Amco, Panasonic etc) were midweek fixtures created for TV. 

The idea has just never really materialised and I think it is simply down to the vast distances between all the various leagues in the sport’s earliest years. It wasn’t possible to hold cup fixtures that included city and country based NSW & Qld teams.

By the time air travel became viable for sports in Australia, there were almost immediately interstate club sides competing in the NSWRL. Subsequently, there wasn’t really the fascination around which clubs from which leagues would beat other clubs from other leagues.

I would love to see the Challenge Cup expanded to somehow revisit the World Club Championship. RU has a stranglehold on the international game. The professional club game is still an opportunity for RL gain international notoriety.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Maybe the Aussies seriously go about limiting the number of games players get through in a season. Another comp would put pressure on them. It doesn’t seem to worry the SL and Championship clubs who even hang on to Christmas fixtures and have doubled up fixtures at Easter.

Graham, Super League have dropped the Easter Monday fixture next season and moved the CC Final to  Saturdsy 18thJuly. The season will start in January.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

8 hours ago, Clogiron said:

We have had 3 and four cups on occasions,  the Regal Trophy as you mentioned, originally the Players No6 trophy started early 70s till 94, the County Cups which ran till  93/94, the BBC 2 Floodlight trophy from 65 to 80 I think and the infamous Captain Morgan Trophy which lasted one whole season 72/73?? Sorry I'm a bit vauge on the dates but today's not a good day health wise and my book's etc are upstairs and I lack the energy to make unnecessary trips unless nature calls!

As you can see cup games were once a staple part of the game and always caused a rise in excitement and attendences which is why the current situation is perplexing, to dismiss it as being down to season tickets is I feel missing the point and a easy get out, with only one main Knockout tournament it should be the jewel in the crown of the game for all clubs not something to be endured and watered down to a shadow of it's former self.

Yes, it's a shame even the CC has taken a hit recently. Hopefully a circular thing and it'll back up to speed again

Captain Morgan trophy?... The rum?? Ha ha no way! Don't worry about the year.. .. Wait to check next time you need the loo upstairs! Hope tommorow a better day health wise chap! 

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes, it's a shame even the CC has taken a hit recently. Hopefully a circular thing and it'll back up to speed again

Captain Morgan trophy?... The rum?? Ha ha no way! Don't worry about the year.. .. Wait to check next time you need the loo upstairs! Hope tommorow a better day health wise chap! 

Beds, I was a year out on the Captain Morgan, the final was played in 74 and yes it was the Rum.        The booze and fags advertising ban hit the game and individual clubs hard with some at the time big names lost to the game, having said that RL doesn't have a good record in retaining big name sponsors eg The Halifax, Esso, Norweb, Emirates, Virgin, Lincon F.S. etc, thats why were left with the Totally Wicked Stadium & Mend-a-Hose Jungle.

6 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Beds, I was a year out on the Captain Morgan, the final was played in 74 and yes it was the Rum.        The booze and fags advertising ban hit the game and individual clubs hard with some at the time big names lost to the game, having said that RL doesn't have a good record in retaining big name sponsors eg The Halifax, Esso, Norweb, Emirates, Virgin, Lincon F.S. etc, thats why were left with the Totally Wicked Stadium & Mend-a-Hose Jungle.

Yep, always a source of amusement with Union mates down here when they see Cash convertor on our best team's shirt rather than Jaguar or Deloiite etc... 

Archived