Shirts and other merch

I saw an article in the press saying that as few Salford fans were wearing shirts at Wigan they must have been new fans.  I have supported Salford since before they won their last title in 70s but rarely wear tje club shirt or any merchandise. I dont like the material. I have worn t shirts or odd sweat shirt. Are other clubs the same

Too much polyester and not enough nice cotton in rugby league. I'm the same....wear a traditional long sleeve rugby shirt to fev matches..... I've a couple in traditional fev colours with butcher's stripes but they aren't official merchandise or anything.

All the official gear is usually sportswear so unless you're at the gym it isn't particularly comfortable.

Sky don't half talk some rubbish.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

I very rarely wear any merchandise to a game. Most club shirts these days are covered with adverts & you end up looking like a walking polyester billboard. I know that it's probably unrealistic for clubs to ditch all the shirt advertising & the annual shirt design changes due to the revenue it brings in, but ideally, I would love for clubs to return to wearing proper traditional cotton rugby shirts with perhaps a maximum of 2 advertising areas on each shirt. 

25 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

I very rarely wear any merchandise to a game. Most club shirts these days are covered with adverts & you end up looking like a walking polyester billboard. I know that it's probably unrealistic for clubs to ditch all the shirt advertising & the annual shirt design changes due to the revenue it brings in, but ideally, I would love for clubs to return to wearing proper traditional cotton rugby shirts with perhaps a maximum of 2 advertising areas on each shirt. 

Won't happen but no reason why clubs couldn't offer retro-style cotton jerseys in their club shops in traditional colours, TOFFS style. Maybe some already do? 

I don't really like wearing rugby jerseys to be honest, modern league or old fashioned league/union style.  The idea that they look "great with jeans" is mental - they look terrible with, well, pretty much anything.  I wear a cherry and white generic hooped t shirt to Wigan games if the weather's ok - it's lasted me about 12 seasons so far and cost £5.99.  And my scarf (£3, Wembley 1992) if it's cold.

(This isn't a whinge by the way I just don't really like rugby shirts for casual wear).

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Won't happen but no reason why clubs couldn't offer retro-style cotton jerseys in their club shops in traditional colours, TOFFS style. Maybe some already do? 

I know Leeds do and there's the Ellis rugby ones too. Leeds also did a collaboration with Superdry (alongside I think Leicester tigers) and you see that "classic style" shirt pretty often at Leeds games.

7 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Too much polyester and not enough nice cotton in rugby league. I'm the same....wear a traditional long sleeve rugby shirt to fev matches..... I've a couple in traditional fev colours with butcher's stripes but they aren't official merchandise or anything.

All the official gear is usually sportswear so unless you're at the gym it isn't particularly comfortable.

Sky don't half talk some rubbish.

It wasnt sky might have been Mr Sadler

I've been watching for over 30 years that I can remember and I've not had a shirt since I was about 10 - that was until two weeks ago when I won one. I wore it to the Wigan game and will wear it to the Grand Final out of gratitude - I might then try and get it signed and retire it. I'm just not the type for wearing team shirts - I'd wear a decent t-shirt if they ever did one similar to the NFL styles but all the current ones are a bit naff.

The problem is clubs don't want to do Merchandise, other than Jerseys, Scarves & Bobble hats (Useful during summer rugby), very few clubs do car stickers, mugs, tee-shirts, "Baseball Style" Hats, bags (such as rucksacks etc.), kids toys, signed team photos, sweat shirts, key-rings, the world is full of knick-knacks that can be personalised and sold in club shops to make a profit, and with so many empty high st shops around, maybe clubs could negotiate a discounted rent for a couple of months for "pop-up" shops just before Christmas, and the start of the new season. 

Or is this too much positive, forward thinking for Rugby League clubs?

27 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I think people tend to bring out shirts for big games and finals. There’s always a lot of Saints replica shirts in Perpignan and when we get to a Final. 

I agree I also think there's a sense that you want to wear your colours and identify the team you support to fellow fans which is most prevalent on away days/finals.

56 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The problem is clubs don't want to do Merchandise, other than Jerseys, Scarves & Bobble hats (Useful during summer rugby), very few clubs do car stickers, mugs, tee-shirts, "Baseball Style" Hats, bags (such as rucksacks etc.), kids toys, signed team photos, sweat shirts, key-rings, the world is full of knick-knacks that can be personalised and sold in club shops to make a profit, and with so many empty high st shops around, maybe clubs could negotiate a discounted rent for a couple of months for "pop-up" shops just before Christmas, and the start of the new season. 

Trinity have a permanent presence in the Ridings shopping centre in Wakefield - not sure if other Super League teams do this, but you'd think if Wakefield can manage it, it should be possible for other clubs.

Just now, wilsontown said:

Trinity have a permanent presence in the Ridings shopping centre in Wakefield - not sure if other Super League teams do this, but you'd think if Wakefield can manage it, it should be possible for other clubs.

Saints had a shop in the town centre when based at Knowsley Road and it’s takings were the equivalent of reaching the Challenge Cup Final each year. 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Saints had a shop in the town centre when based at Knowsley Road and it’s takings were the equivalent of reaching the Challenge Cup Final each year. 

Catalans were going to do the same but were told by the local shopping centre they had to pay a bond......

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

The ones in bold do my nut in... they arent expensive but can be sold for a very generous mark up and are great for kids and adults that dont mind showing a bit of pride at work/home (I'd have all but the car sticker, not a big fan of any car stickers to be honest but many are)... all except the signed photo can be the same every year aswell (logo/badge/crest) just have a stock of them to sell and they dont go off! the photo infuriates me as its so simple (doesn't even need to be signed either), so cheap but you can flog them for £5-10 with ease!!

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I could not agree more.

An easy way for clubs to make money and connect with younger supporters,especially.

Alcohol and beer do not interest those under 13 yrs of age,or so,but something to show off with at school,does.

Soccer clubs cater for those from cradle to coffin.The 'foreign' tourists to Manchester United are up to their oxters with 'junk' but they are happy and the club profits massively.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

We did a pop up shop in Hull's main city centre shopping centre last Christmas, only closed a few months back I believe, did good business despite us already having a city centre shop. 

18 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It's a tradition that in workington that town do a pop up shop at Christmas, selling all the new merch and kit

Archived