Guess the Attendance

Eddie

I must admit, if I was local, this fixture would make me get off my backside and attend more so than had it been Saints v Wigan. The buzz around Salford and what they may do is exciting. 

Even if the result goes against them it should be a great experience and event. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe, but if it was me and it was Wigan v Salford I’d want to be in the Salford end and some people may have done the same. 

SL website has been selling tickets in the Salford end, so that was possible. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, if I was local, this fixture would make me get off my backside and attend more so than had it been Saints v Wigan. The buzz around Salford and what they may do is exciting. 

Even if the result goes against them it should be a great experience and event. 

This is why I don't get how it's not a sell out or close to, loads of clubs less than 30 minutes away, cheap tickets.

1 minute ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

This is why I don't get how it's not a sell out or close to, loads of clubs less than 30 minutes away, cheap tickets.

We need to not be so hard on ourselves. These two clubs average around 15k between them for home games. Yet we will have four times that for this game. 

60-odd thousand for a game of Rugby League in the UK is an excellent crowd.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We need to not be so hard on ourselves. These two clubs average around 15k between them for home games. Yet we will have four times that for this game. 

60-odd thousand for a game of Rugby League in the UK is an excellent crowd.

So why does the CC final get so much more grief when fans have to travel further and it's in a poor part of the year? I get your point re average numbers but we all know that the casual/glory hunters come out to follow their team in a final and with it being so close it's much more likely they'll turn out for this than a CC final.

It's been over 70k for 4 of the last 5 finals so I'm not seeing why this should be much less tbh, especially since Sts fans will want to be there as it's their last chance of getting any silverware (Of importance) for their brilliant team that will win if they play their best?  

2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

So why does the CC final get so much more grief when fans have to travel further and it's in a poor part of the year? I get your point re average numbers but we all know that the casual/glory hunters come out to follow their team in a final and with it being so close it's much more likely they'll turn out for this than a CC final.

It's been over 70k for 4 of the last 5 finals so I'm not seeing why this should be much less tbh, especially since Sts fans will want to be there as it's their last chance of getting any silverware (Of importance) for their brilliant team that will win if they play their best?  

I think people refuse to consider context, but the Challenge Cup has delivered much bigger crowds just a relatively short while ago, so I think it is less the number, more the drops that are a concern.

What is clear is that the level of demand for the Grand Final is 64-74k. It will be at the higher end if it is at attractive game for teams with good support. Lower end if it is a smaller team or a less attractive game. Look at Wire v Wigan. 1st game got 66k, but that was in a World Cup year - home internationals do appear to affect Finals crowds, the next time they went up to 70k, and then last year down to below 65k.

That 5k fluctuation is relatively standard, and I hope that is all we see here, I hope for 65k to be passed.

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Until I saw these emojis, I never even made the heaven and hell link in the clubs' names!

You'd have thought that would make a good marketing tool...

Not a very nice way of describing Robert Elstone.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think this is the most significant attendance figure we will see this year as it is the clearest test yet of 1) is the GF an Event and 2) can success on that scale stimulate an “unfashionable” club (as I write that I can’t help but think back to when I started watching when the Salford team of Gill and Fielding was far more fashionable than wigan...) 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think this is the most significant attendance figure we will see this year as it is the clearest test yet of 1) is the GF an Event and 2) can success on that scale stimulate an “unfashionable” club (as I write that I can’t help but think back to when I started watching when the Salford team of Gill and Fielding was far more fashionable than wigan...) 

And the most significant attendance figure next year will be the first home game at the AJ Bell.

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 12:59, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Were you there?

On 10/10/2019 at 14:57, DavidM said:

Nearly a thread that didn’t have Toronto in it !

All threads must mention Toronto. It's a forum rule.

Seriously though, what was the attendance?

1 hour ago, bazzzz65 said:

Were you there?

I'd already committed to covering someone at work when I thought it was going to be another Saints v Wigan final (as I said a while back) The people I work for are a social based organisation based here in N.Hertfordshire that distributes meals, looks after nutrition and other welfare aspects for vulnerable people in the community, vastly more important than going to a RL match don't you think?

Did you enjoy the game from your seat and did your team win?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Over 8000 down from when Leeds were last there, who have had over 70,000 in their last 3 grand final appearances.

Anyone who agrees with changing Catalans and Toronto a final attendance bond must also agree with charging Salford a bond. This final was literally on their doorstep, if it was at Wembley their support would be significantly smaller.

And yet Salford fans filled their end last night and it made for a bouncing atmosphere.

Maybe Toronto should pay a bond in case they reach the Grand Final because it would be a disaster in terms of (1) the attendance and (2) the impact on Super League’s flagship event?

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Over 8000 down from when Leeds were last there, who have had over 70,000 in their last 3 grand final appearances.

Anyone who agrees with changing Catalans and Toronto a final attendance bond must also agree with charging Salford a bond. This final was literally on their doorstep, if it was at Wembley their support would be significantly smaller.

Hopefully some of those Salford fans yesterday go to some Salford games in 2020.

Hard to be sure because obviously most neutrals were supporting Salford, but it looked to me like Salford shirts outnumbered saints shirts in the crowd and before the game outside, by some distance. 

So I think a decent crowd. As is always the way with Old Trafford it looks great on TV and you really have to look to find empty seats as they are in the darker upper areas. Even with 10k empty seats it gave the impression of being a capacity crowd, not many grounds can do that.

I'd like to see SLE do more with the event presentation to try and get those 10k seats filled now, but it was pretty good last night.

Archived