SL Recruitment

Krzzystuff

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

is there anywhere that you can actually make a wager in Canada for RL? I know they said they are changing the laws around sports gambling but I don't know of any sites that you can wager on AND collect your winnings. everyone is willing to take your  money.

The company that had their name on the beer garden banners and tokens last season, can't find it on Google though, sports interactive or something like that.

Anyway game responsibly.

Another interesting article here in the Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019/11/27/the-toronto-wolfpack-need-sonny-bill-williams-to-carry-a-heavy-load-no-management-required.html

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regard to all this hype about William's,what seems to be overlooked is that he learnt all his skills  in League.It's that what's made him the player he is and he was able to adapt to Union easily.Let's give league the credit for where he is today.No mention of this in the above article in the the Star.

28 minutes ago, frank said:

In regard to all this hype about William's,what seems to be overlooked is that he learnt all his skills  in League.It's that what's made him the player he is and he was able to adapt to Union easily.Let's give league the credit for where he is today.No mention of this in the above article in the the Star.

Guys will naturally want to take shots on him...I say put him in the second row and tell him to run wide around the fringes of the rucks, that is where he will cause the most mayhem anyway....others must step in and take over the  hard up straight running....I just hope he doesn't try to do it all....then he will get hurt.

On 27/11/2019 at 19:11, Krzzystuff said:

is there anywhere that you can actually make a wager in Canada for RL? I know they said they are changing the laws around sports gambling but I don't know of any sites that you can wager on AND collect your winnings. everyone is willing to take your  money.

Lots of online gambling companies run Canadian services. Bet365 have rugby league odds and also operate within Canada.

TWP should make a pitch for a couple of Canadian Rugby Union players.  Players I would have a look at:

1.  Jeff Hassler - legit Tier 1 Winger in Union that can consistently break the gain line.

2. Adam Zaruba - Canada Sevens Star, left Rugby to pursue a career in the NFL but has recently come back to the sport.  Would make a dynamic ball carrying forward.

3. Theo Sauder - Very young but this kid has already made the National Team.  He has some real good football skills.

4. Matt Heaton - Smaller Flanker in Union but is very athletic and has a high work rate.  I personally think he would be better suited to League.  Plays and lives in England already.

5.   Brock Staller - leading points scorer in MLR and curiously left out of Rugby Canada's plans.  This guy is skilled and can play Rugby.  

6.  Evan Olmstead - Another legit Tier 1 player, also lived in Australia and played in Aus/NZ so no doubt familiar with League.  Very good ball carrier and tackler.  High work rate:

Hassler and Olmstead would cost a little more money, the others are on MLR wages and would be able to be had for very cheap.  I would also market the idea of playing for Toronto as a way to significantly raise their profile in and out of Canada.

I'm certain most would jump at the chance to play with SBW.

To CanadianRugger.....good post above.  I have not watched the videos yet but will tomorrow.  You are very knowledgeable about the Canadian Rugby scene.  How about sending these to the two Brians at the Wolfpack.  Just in case any of these guys have slipped through their radar.  I'm led to believe that TWP have a list of ALL Rugby players (both codes) in both the SH and the NH with any remote connection to Canada.   And there are some who have a connection that even their own teams are unaware of.  Might help the cause.

20 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

To CanadianRugger.....good post above.  I have not watched the videos yet but will tomorrow.  You are very knowledgeable about the Canadian Rugby scene.  How about sending these to the two Brians at the Wolfpack.  Just in case any of these guys have slipped through their radar.  I'm led to believe that TWP have a list of ALL Rugby players (both codes) in both the SH and the NH with any remote connection to Canada.   And there are some who have a connection that even their own teams are unaware of.  Might help the cause.

Thanks CH, I've been playing and watching Canadian Rugby Union since 2001.  I have also coached the sport at junior level and scouted for some representative sides.  

Out of the group above, I would try and target a player like Zaruba.  He is 6'5, 265lbs and was good enough to land a spot on the Philadelphia Eagles.  He also played

Watch this skill:

He is a wasted talent playing Rugby Sevens and was part of Rugby Canada's stupid shift towards promoting Rugby Sevens over Mens XV as Sevens is an Olympic Sport.

TWP wouldn't even have to offer him that big of a contract to outspend the Rugby Canada Sevens.  He is lining up to go for the Olympics in 2020 but make him an offer he can't refuse.

Note the CFL is also looking to snap him up (see article at link)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/sports/2019/2/5/1_4283976.html

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/117918308/circus-act-has-sonny-bill-williams-primed-for-league-return-with-toronto-wolfpack

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/sonny-bill-williams-inside-the-toronto-wolfpack-stars-intense-high-performance-training-camp/sn6g2r8cgmj51et2xqymphggx

Does anyone know if that intensive training camp is paid by the Wolfpack or if it's part of SBW's obligations to get in good shape before starting the team's training camp (ans starting being paid by Wolfpack)?

7 hours ago, manu266 said:

Yes indeed Manu266, but as I've said elsewhere I believe that 24 players is quite a ways short of what will be needed for 29 regular season games + Challenge Cup + hopefully.....playoffs.  Need 30 players as a minimum IMHO.  Playoffs would be fantastic but a mid-table finish would be verrrrry acceptable. In fact anything but 12th. place would be OK for me.

9 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Yes indeed Manu266, but as I've said elsewhere I believe that 24 players is quite a ways short of what will be needed for 29 regular season games + Challenge Cup + hopefully.....playoffs.  Need 30 players as a minimum IMHO.  Playoffs would be fantastic but a mid-table finish would be verrrrry acceptable. In fact anything but 12th. place would be OK for me.

We can get by with 27 or 28 if coached properly so we need a few more bodies...Brierley signing with Hull KR frees up some cap room...I'd like to see one more hard hitter in the Pack and someone with breakaway speed in the Pack forwards...one young super quick halfback would also be nice.  We ne4ed to have guys who can break one tackle and then Sonny Bill will feast.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We can get by with 27 or 28 if coached properly so we need a few more bodies...Brierley signing with Hull KR frees up some cap room...I'd like to see one more hard hitter in the Pack and someone with breakaway speed in the Pack forwards...one young super quick halfback would also be nice.  We ne4ed to have guys who can break one tackle and then Sonny Bill will feast.

Mostly agree with you K-man but not about getting by with 27/28 players.  Viz.......for three straight years EVERY single team in L1 and Championship have played OUT OF THEIR SKIN when they play the Wolfpack.  They want to "put them in their place" as it were.  Brian McD has alluded to this phenomenon on more than one occasion. Magnify this effort by the SL Teams in 2020.  And remember.....they are generally across the board a skill level notch or two above what our guys have been used to for 3 years.  Every time I think about it I say to myself....."maybe 30 is not going to suffice".  Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Mostly agree with you K-man but not about getting by with 27/28 players.  Viz.......for three straight years EVERY single team in L1 and Championship have played OUT OF THEIR SKIN when they play the Wolfpack.  They want to "put them in their place" as it were.  Brian McD has alluded to this phenomenon on more than one occasion. Magnify this effort by the SL Teams in 2020.  And remember.....they are generally across the board a skill level notch or two above what our guys have been used to for 3 years.  Every time I think about it I say to myself....."maybe 30 is not going to suffice".  Time will tell.

I see your thinking but "quality with some quantity" should be our goal.  Now I know I'm going out on a limb here and everyone seems to disagree with me but I figure Wolfpack make the top 5 for the playoffs this year....thats how I see it and thats the way its going to be come HELL OR HIGH WATER!

Teams won't travel well over here.  They will grossly underestimate the acclimatization process of time zone changes.  We will start slowly and win most home games.

Also Toronto's starting XIII will beat any team in the league.  I agree depth will hurt us slightly but we are heavy on NRL experience compared to most.

8 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Teams won't travel well over here.  They will grossly underestimate the acclimatization process of time zone changes.  We will start slowly and win most home games.

Also Toronto's starting XIII will beat any team in the league.  I agree depth will hurt us slightly but we are heavy on NRL experience compared to most.

Going into the Challenge Cup will probably stretch us.....good coaching can go a long way to mitigate an injury problem.  We have good backup depth in the backs so no worries there....we need some young big hitters in the pack just to finish things off...they don't need to be overly offensive since we have lots of firepower there.....just straight gain lime runners but good defensively..need a couple of big hitters to take the pressure off of the others.

13 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Agree but disagree..I think one can overemphasize the time/distance equation and the FT SL teams (unlike our p/t competition in L1 and CH) can't use it as an excuse..well conditioned athletes should be able to cope with it  especially if they come in 2-3 days prior to gameday and get in some solid practice. Race drivers and many other athletes do it all the time.  As far as  roster size..I'm sure the two Brian'shave it sorted and yes we have a terrific lineup across the board but certainly we will need numbers similar to what the competition have..what's the average 27/28??

22 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Agree but disagree..I think one can overemphasize the time/distance equation and the FT SL teams (unlike our p/t competition in L1 and CH) can't use it as an excuse..well conditioned athletes should be able to cope with it  especially if they come in 2-3 days prior to gameday and get in some solid practice. Race drivers and many other athletes do it all the time.  As far as  roster size..I'm sure the two Brian'shave it sorted and yes we have a terrific lineup across the board but certainly we will need numbers similar to what the competition have..what's the average 27/28??

I'm don't think they will adapt well initially @RobertAM.  Look at the Jaguares in Super Rugby, it took them three seasons to finally get it right.  They were basically Argentina's starting XV the initial season and everyone expected them to make the playoffs but they struggled on the road with the time changes.

It will take Super League clubs two or three seasons to account for a road trip to Toronto.  It will get worse for them if they have to come over multiple times in the future.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Looks like Quinn is on his way back to the Wolfpack.

I say give the kid a chance!

fully agree, cant wait to see him walk out at Lamport as a superleague player!!

23 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Looks like Quinn is on his way back to the Wolfpack.

I say give the kid a chance!

I hope they actually let him play this time, without shipping him out on DR/loan.

He was doing well for Canada U20s, I'm not sure what other paths are open to him? I doubt MLR would pay much, so unless he can get a RU contract in Europe, this make sense for him.

2 hours ago, ojx said:

I hope they actually let him play this time, without shipping him out on DR/loan.

He was doing well for Canada U20s, I'm not sure what other paths are open to him? I doubt MLR would pay much, so unless he can get a RU contract in Europe, this make sense for him.

Almost impossible to get a Rugby Union contract in Europe now due to residency regulations, even in France.  That's why guys like Hassler are coming home, guy was Pro14 Dream Team and couldn't find a club that wanted him due to quota restrictions.

MLR salary cap is only like $450,000 per team.  Most players are part time still.  The quality also isn't quite there yet.

Only real option for Quinn was Canada 7s and he is honestly wasted talent playing Rugby 7s.  There are a number of 7s players who should be playing XVs that aren't due to stupid Rugby Canada decisions.

If I were TWP, I would look to snap up Ngawati, Zaruba, Coe, Coats and Sauder.  You got some other guys as well like Du Toit, Braid, etc that play 7s but would be worth having a look at.

TWP would pay more than Canada 7s.

Another player they could make a play for is Will Percillier.  Currently with Stade Francais but a genuine talent:

stade-francais-will-percillier-signing-2

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Almost impossible to get a Rugby Union contract in Europe now due to residency regulations, even in France.  That's why guys like Hassler are coming home, guy was Pro14 Dream Team and couldn't find a club that wanted him due to quota restrictions.

MLR salary cap is only like $450,000 per team.  Most players are part time still.  The quality also isn't quite there yet.

Only real option for Quinn was Canada 7s and he is honestly wasted talent playing Rugby 7s.  There are a number of 7s players who should be playing XVs that aren't due to stupid Rugby Canada decisions.

If I were TWP, I would look to snap up Ngawati, Zaruba, Coe and Sauder.  You got some other guys as well like Du Toit, Braid, etc that play 7s but would be worth having a look at.

TWP would pay more than Canada 7s.

Well if they are having cap trouble and need bodies this might just be the way to go.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well if they are having cap trouble and need bodies this might just be the way to go.

it's totally the way to go and some of these boys can play.  Braid has started as a Flyhalf for Worcester in the English Premiership and also Glasgow, he is good enough to play top flight Rugby.

Yah different sport but he plays 7s so will already have the gas tank in terms of fitness.

Sarel+Pretorius+Worcester+Warriors+v+New

92605671_braid2.jpg

tumblr_pyo1gmyFJy1rgs59qo1_r1_400.jpg

The great news is they wouldn't have to pay these guys that much as even a normal wage would be more than they are making playing 7s.

Archived