SL Recruitment

Krzzystuff

50 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

The great news is they wouldn't have to pay these guys that much as even a normal wage would be more than they are making playing 7s.

Also, any wage wouldn't count in the salary cap because they are new to the sport.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How difficult would it be getting them permits to work and train in Britain? After all they would be taking jobs away from good British lads

I still wonder id TWP has some sort of behind-the-scenes agreement not to "rock the boat" with Rugby Canada. It seems fairly easy for them to do it and as CR pointed out there are definitely guy who would be worth giving a shot.

6 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I still wonder id TWP has some sort of behind-the-scenes agreement not to "rock the boat" with Rugby Canada. It seems fairly easy for them to do it and as CR pointed out there are definitely guy who would be worth giving a shot.

Its clearly a 'Gentlemans Agreement' way to proceed....at least until things become more established.

Who wants to bring the old battles from the Old World over here?  We can all get along...its the Canadian way.

10 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I wonder that as well.  Argyle could definitely do so with impunity if he wanted to but probably doesn't want to turn off potential customers.

I wouldn't worry about ticking off the rugby establishment in Canada. What have they ever accomplished? The Arrows and MLR are their competitors and if Argyle and his compatriots in Ottawa and New York can get a leg-up on them so be it.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The Arrows and MLR are their competitors.

I think the Wolfpack and the Arrows are entirely complementary. A rising interest in rugby will be good for both teams. Between them that is 18 home games in Toronto, compare this to what we had three years ago. This is great.

12 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I wouldn't worry about ticking off the rugby establishment in Canada. What have they ever accomplished? The Arrows and MLR are their competitors and if Argyle and his compatriots in Ottawa and New York can get a leg-up on them so be it.

I know the owner of the Toronto Arrows.  He is a good man, loves his rugby and on a positive note.... He has nothing to do with Rugby Canada.

I agree that The Arrows and Wolfpack compliment each other nicely.  I would like to see them both play at Lamport and work with the city to develop it in to a Rugby Centre of Excellence.

MLR are moving aggressively in the States and while I personally like the idea of the 2 codes working together for the betterment of the game I simply can't see that working for ever. One code is going to emerge as the more popular and the other is going to fade away. Given past history and the current actions of MLR I think it's obvious who that will be.

The sooner we have several RL teams established the better they can collectively stand up to RU.

Not necessarily,  for example both versions of lacrosse keep going. 

I didn't mean that TWP was "worried" about ticking off RC, just that maybe they don't want to for some reason. Maybe the investors are just fans of Canadian Rugby Union and don't want to take anything away from them or add to their struggles, even if they happen to be running a RL team since that was the first opportunity to get involved in pro rugby here.

@TIWIT, I don't think it's obvious at all given the context of the site we're on. Meaning I assume you think it's RL that will win out. If you only mean in the city of Toronto, then I'd call it 50/50, if one were fold. But North America wide I think Union has many, many aspects in its favour. Based on the history and actions of the RFL I have very little faith that there will ever be more than 4-5 teams scattered across the English divisions.

51 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Not necessarily,  for example both versions of lacrosse keep going. 

I didn't mean that TWP was "worried" about ticking off RC, just that maybe they don't want to for some reason. Maybe the investors are just fans of Canadian Rugby Union and don't want to take anything away from them or add to their struggles, even if they happen to be running a RL team since that was the first opportunity to get involved in pro rugby here.

@TIWIT, I don't think it's obvious at all given the context of the site we're on. Meaning I assume you think it's RL that will win out. If you only mean in the city of Toronto, then I'd call it 50/50, if one were fold. But North America wide I think Union has many, many aspects in its favour. Based on the history and actions of the RFL I have very little faith that there will ever be more than 4-5 teams scattered across the English divisions.

The Northerners don't want foreigners in their league.  That is obvious.  They have had plenty of opportunities but very little support.  The only reason they've tolerated Catalans is because it offers a vacation.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

The Northerners don't want foreigners in their league.  That is obvious.  They have had plenty of opportunities but very little support.  The only reason they've tolerated Catalans is because it offers a vacation.

I agree but not all of the Northerners, I know many that want us in...the lack of support and obstacles placed in the way is impressive but Argyle is undeterred and he does have the cash! (I'm currently designing/making a unique gift for Argyle which I will make sure he gets in the Spring...I know he will love it! P.S. I'm making one for Noble and McDermott too!).

Anyway, if we are looking at signings and diamonds in the rough for now there is one guy who needs a real 'look see'....in the US.....I've watched some clips of him....just the Prop we need next year and I mean it....good ball handler and runner...aggressive...BIG HITTER.   We need a BIG HITTER in the Pack next year; its very important to our chances!  I'm sure his salary would be reasonable.

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaRL/videos/452895548707944/

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas Canada !

Not a lot of news at the moment around our team but found this on this week League Express

• Overseas players will report for training after the Xmas period. Her Majesty's Revenue agency will start to cash in on the lucrative SBW payroll, Canada Revenue Agency must wait another 4 months for that.
  • Wolfpack announces a plan to invest in their training facilities at Hopwood Hall College, North of Manchester, but they could also complete their preseason at a Premier League facilities in the next weeks.
  • A documentary about the first 3 years will air during the Xmas period on UK Freesport, hope they stream it as well
  • No dual registration confirmed yet, Bulls likely ti sign with Hull FC, Widnes only option?
  • still a small 22 player roster, no confirmation on Nagawati contract

I am also concerned about no TV deal to show all of the TWP games. This is not acceptable for a North American audience.

Right now, I get Sky Sports via a VPN. Here is what is scheduled to open the season. Not every TWP game is listed.

sky-sch.thumb.png.8171a03f4d2f87d0b1df226c1b61b850.png 

• 1 month later...

Super league clubs refused 2 dispensations requested by TWP, the 5% salary cap raise and the free signing of 2 U21 players, the latter could have been used by all clubs.

But they accepted the free signing of 2 u21 Canadian players. Not sure why this exemption is not given for any Canadian, American or Jamaican youngster, like the overseas rule is, but that opens the way to Quinn Ngawati. Not sure who else can be signed from Canada. 

Chase Stanley got his beautiful Visa in his passport, thank you your majesty, he will play against Wigan.

Williams going back to NZ for the birth of his child will miss at least the next one. Let's hope he is not blocked at the border when he comes back.

And the RFL starts to discuss post Brexit rules that will probably affect Pacific players, currently protected by EU laws. Not sure if Williams is registered as Samoa or NZ but the EU law still applies to Catalan, so the Pacific players might keep their special status.

Source: League Express 10 Feb 2020

That was fake news that chase Stanley has received his Visa. Chase is not on the 21 this week and several news sources confirmed he is still in Australia.

Mellor has been named in the squad but will probably not play, wrist injury, if broken, we could look at 6 weeks.

Lussick still injured, Sonny on birth leave. Worthington on loan. From 23 down to 18 already. Rochdale get ready to share players.

How come Worthington has not been called back yet? How does loan work exactly? 

50 minutes ago, manu266 said:

depends on length of loan  a  months loan  player goes back to  his  club after a month with no recall  during the loan 

longer than a month player stays for a month  with no recall then clubs have a 24-hour recall option after the  month. is over

7 hours ago, manu266 said:

That was fake news that chase Stanley has received his Visa. Chase is not on the 21 this week and several news sources confirmed he is still in Australia.

Mellor has been named in the squad but will probably not play, wrist injury, if broken, we could look at 6 weeks.

Lussick still injured, Sonny on birth leave. Worthington on loan. From 23 down to 18 already. Rochdale get ready to share players.

WE ARE UP AGAINST IT!  We are flying on a wing and a pray...HANG ON!   Its going to be a crazy ride this season...get ready.

Since so much of how TWP will do this season will be based on injuries etc I made a list to make it easier to see who's available. It can be updated whenever.

• 1. Gareth O'Brien
  • 2. Matty Russell
  • 2. Chase Stanley - Visa Issues
  • 4. Ricky Leutele
  • 5. Liam Kay
  • 6. Joe Mellor - Wrist Injury
  • 7. Josh McCrone
  • 8. Adam Sidlow
  • 9. Andy Ackers
  • 10. Anthony Mullally
  • 11. Andrew Dixon
  • 12. Bodene Thompson
  • 13. Jon Wilkin
  • 14. Darcy Lussick - Injured
  • 15. Gadwin Springer
  • 16. Tom Olbison
  • 17 Blake Wallis
  • 18. Brad Singleton
  • 19. Gary Wheeler
  • 20. James Cunningham
  • 21. Sonny Bill Williams - Paternity Leave
  • 22. Greg Worthington - On Loan At Featherstone
  • 23. Hakim Maloudi

As Manu said that puts the current squad down to 18 available. The good news is at least a few of them should be resolved soon.

Archived