SL Recruitment

Krzzystuff

scrap or at least amend this silly salary cap. for a competition calling itself superleague it is really holding the game back.

If some SL teams are operating on a shoestring can they really describe themselvesas the pinnacle of RL??  wanna compete against the NRL relax this daft restriction

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

scrap or at least amend this silly salary cap. for a competition calling itself superleague it is really holding the game back.

If some SL teams are operating on a shoestring can they really describe themselvesas the pinnacle of RL??  wanna compete against the NRL relax this daft restriction

They will not do it...we just have  to play the hand we have been dealt...that is all there is to it.

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

They will not do it...we just have  to play the hand we have been dealt...that is all there is to it.

Your right there.SL don't give a stuff for the leagues below them so I don't  see things changing.

Enjoyed the game today, you were in it up untill you had a  man binned.You will win games when you return home.

With a full squad like that you will win plenty of games, the only question is wether you will be able to field a full squad in those winnable games.

I’m in favour of increasing the salary cap somewhat but I do think we need to be careful not to end up in the same situation as the SPL with only two teams winning in 40 years and one team on their way to ten consecutive titles.

As for dispensation.... Even with Wolfpack being my favourite Super League team (Although to be fair anyone except Wigan and Saints are my favourite Super League team.) i’m not too sure about just giving them more money to spend. The club have known about the salary cap for four years now and other clubs have managed to field competitive squads while spending nowhere near the cap. TWP took a risk and it might yet still pay off.

There are a couple of things I do think could be done though. I’d make bigger incentives for signing North American players, but that should have all been set out years ago so that they could have been developed over the last few years. Protection from relegation? Possibly, maybe that should be the case for all promoted sides. Most of all, a 14 team Super League!

You guys are doing it tough at the minute, but to go into SL and start wanting salary cap dispensation and the cap scraped is a bit of a joke really. It's been that way forever so it's not just going to change now because use are struggling. Your club will of known what the cap was so should of budgeted to it. As for other clubs, when they get injuries, they can promote from the reserves and u18s. Now I know Toronto are a new club, but... SL has been the target from day 1, you've had more than enough time to get something in place. 

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

With a full squad like that you will win plenty of games, the only question is wether you will be able to field a full squad in those winnable games.

I’m in favour of increasing the salary cap somewhat but I do think we need to be careful not to end up in the same situation as the SPL with only two teams winning in 40 years and one team on their way to ten consecutive titles.

As for dispensation.... Even with Wolfpack being my favourite Super League team (Although to be fair anyone except Wigan and Saints are my favourite Super League team.) i’m not too sure about just giving them more money to spend. The club have known about the salary cap for four years now and other clubs have managed to field competitive squads while spending nowhere near the cap. TWP took a risk and it might yet still pay off.

There are a couple of things I do think could be done though. I’d make bigger incentives for signing North American players, but that should have all been set out years ago so that they could have been developed over the last few years. Protection from relegation? Possibly, maybe that should be the case for all promoted sides. Most of all, a 14 team Super League!

I think we will have so many injuries after the first five games we will be in trouble...funny how the first five games in SL are also the top 5 teams from last year...must be a coincidence.  It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

I think we will have so many injuries after the first five games we will be in trouble...funny how the first five games in SL are also the top 5 teams from last year...must be a coincidence.  It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

They might be the top five from last year but I don't think they're the five toughest games. Salford over achieved last year and are much weaker this year. I expect them to be around the bottom four or five. Castleford are also missing a lot of quality due to injuries, Hull FC will be a much tougher game.

Warrington next week is about as hard as it gets but I think TWP will pick up a couple of wins in the few weeks after. Maybe even against Saints who have their own injury problems. You only need to be better than one team to stay up and I have a feeling that other team might be Wakefield.

2 minutes ago, fevtom said:

They might be the top five from last year but I don't think they're the five toughest games. Salford over achieved last year and are much weaker this year. I expect them to be around the bottom four or five. Castleford are also missing a lot of quality due to injuries, Hull FC will be a much tougher game.

Warrington next week is about as hard as it gets but I think TWP will pick up a couple of wins in the few weeks after. Maybe even against Saints who have their own injury problems. You only need to be better than one team to stay up and I have a feeling that other team might be Wakefield.

Hopefully we will have 13 players available for those later fixtures.

I agree that the salary cap shouldn’t be a problem as every other teams are doing fine, but I am curious as to how much it really costs the other teams for position 24 and +. If these players are really coming from their academy and cost almost nothing in salary then the Wolfpack should have flagged that much earlier and build a case for an adapted dispensation.

But if they put too much money on players 1-23 (minus the exempted marquees) then they took a big risk and they only have themselves to blame.

Absence of an academy? Well we have one now, Hopwood College Academy; It’s gonna take another 10 years before we can use players out of a non-English academy, and even then it will probably be League 1, max. Championship level players. But we need that North American Academy and a League 1 team to real start developing seriously.

Using Hopwood College and Rochdale in the meantime is the only solution. Developing partnerships with other academies could be enhanced, even in other developing nations for example, there could be a Quinn Ngwata anywhere in the world.

Relegation? Too early to start calculating, there is no magic number at this stage, and even starting 0-3 does not mean anything, but how will they avoid a much more dangerous 0-5 or 0-6 now with the squad situation?

Now I don’t know if there is a betting agency that offers odds for “Toronto 12th and not relegated” but I would put money on that one. Because I’m surprised by the positive comments on the classic media so far. Forget the social media here, if you listen to Sky pundits and commentators, read the local M62 papers, the BBC, see Sky efforts to add broadcast games, I think deciders and money backers in this league are pleased to see the Wolfpack there and they want them to stay. Or maybe I see the world in technicolor here?

And let’s face it, relegation in a Championship as it is today would be catastrophic in terms of home attendance and tv ratings. With a Middle 8 or something similar, maybe not, but another season like last one, without real opposition except for 2 games, we will lose a lot of Canadian fans, maybe lose the entire project.

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

I agree that the salary cap shouldn’t be a problem as every other teams are doing fine, but I am curious as to how much it really costs the other teams for position 24 and +. If these players are really coming from their academy and cost almost nothing in salary then the Wolfpack should have flagged that much earlier and build a case for an adapted dispensation.

But if they put too much money on players 1-23 (minus the exempted marquees) then they took a big risk and they only have themselves to blame.

Absence of an academy? Well we have one now, Hopwood College Academy; It’s gonna take another 10 years before we can use players out of a non-English academy, and even then it will probably be League 1, max. Championship level players. But we need that North American Academy and a League 1 team to real start developing seriously.

Using Hopwood College and Rochdale in the meantime is the only solution. Developing partnerships with other academies could be enhanced, even in other developing nations for example, there could be a Quinn Ngwata anywhere in the world.

Relegation? Too early to start calculating, there is no magic number at this stage, and even starting 0-3 does not mean anything, but how will they avoid a much more dangerous 0-5 or 0-6 now with the squad situation?

Now I don’t know if there is a betting agency that offers odds for “Toronto 12th and not relegated” but I would put money on that one. Because I’m surprised by the positive comments on the classic media so far. Forget the social media here, if you listen to Sky pundits and commentators, read the local M62 papers, the BBC, see Sky efforts to add broadcast games, I think deciders and money backers in this league are pleased to see the Wolfpack there and they want them to stay. Or maybe I see the world in technicolor here?

And let’s face it, relegation in a Championship as it is today would be catastrophic in terms of home attendance and tv ratings. With a Middle 8 or something similar, maybe not, but another season like last one, without real opposition except for 2 games, we will lose a lot of Canadian fans, maybe lose the entire project.

Adapted dispensation why? The money the clubs have put in to building a youth pathway will of cost thousands of pounds anyway so it balances out anyway. 

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Adapted dispensation why? The money the clubs have put in to building a youth pathway will of cost thousands of pounds anyway so it balances out anyway. 

Like I said because the academy is not ready, they need more time and for the rest, without figures I'm not making any conclusions.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Hopefully we will have 13 players available for those later fixtures.

In case anyone is wondering, section 4 of the laws of the game, the 4 replacements are not mandatory and any team needs at least 9 players on the field at any time, sin bin and blood bin count as on the field, not red card. 

The roster crunch has arrived earlier than expected for the Wolfpack. It was always going to happen I think. I do like what I saw last night against Wigan though. No one wants to start the season 0-3 and have all the roster and salary cap issues swirling around them that the Wolfpack do. However, they have improved in each of the 3 games and there is some adjustment going on to the speed and skill of super league. The focus (and expectations of fans) just has to be to try and finish 11th or higher. Anything else is gravy. All they have to do is finish above a Hull KR or a Wakefield. Beat those sorts of teams and don't get smashed by bigger teams and they'll be right. In terms of the roster, they can fill it out with Rugby guys who have league experience who don't count against the cap. Surely they've spent the off-season stockpiling a list of guys who fit that bill and can call on them if things get dire as they now appear to be. I expect to see a signing or 2 announced in the next week or 2 as they struggle to get everyone back from injury, childbirth, visa issues, etc. This season, Wolfpack fans will have to make the adjustment from enjoying the constant winning to enjoying the small victories on the road to surviving relegation. I found the Gaz O'Brien benching curious. I like everything Brian Mac has done this season except that decision...

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

The roster crunch has arrived earlier than expected for the Wolfpack. It was always going to happen I think. I do like what I saw last night against Wigan though. No one wants to start the season 0-3 and have all the roster and salary cap issues swirling around them that the Wolfpack do. However, they have improved in each of the 3 games and there is some adjustment going on to the speed and skill of super league. The focus (and expectations of fans) just has to be to try and finish 11th or higher. Anything else is gravy. All they have to do is finish above a Hull KR or a Wakefield. Beat those sorts of teams and don't get smashed by bigger teams and they'll be right. In terms of the roster, they can fill it out with Rugby guys who have league experience who don't count against the cap. Surely they've spent the off-season stockpiling a list of guys who fit that bill and can call on them if things get dire as they now appear to be. I expect to see a signing or 2 announced in the next week or 2 as they struggle to get everyone back from injury, childbirth, visa issues, etc. This season, Wolfpack fans will have to make the adjustment from enjoying the constant winning to enjoying the small victories on the road to surviving relegation. I found the Gaz O'Brien benching curious. I like everything Brian Mac has done this season except that decision...

Bolding/Underlining above is mine.   Re. Gaz, I agree here unless as he stated he genuinely wanted to give Blake Wallace a crack at the position.  I think Brian Mac's plan really is to lose the first 5, maybe 6 games, lull everyone into a sense of security, then blitz them all big-time.

42 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Bolding/Underlining above is mine.   Re. Gaz, I agree here unless as he stated he genuinely wanted to give Blake Wallace a crack at the position.  I think Brian Mac's plan really is to lose the first 5, maybe 6 games, lull everyone into a sense of security, then blitz them all big-time.

Its going to be a long season and I think he wanted to have a good hard look at what Wallace could do...Gaz will take a beating this year so everyone is going to see lots of play time, especially Gaz.  Wallace has some experience playing there now as a backup.    We have to use everyone and a balanced whole season approach is best.

we need all out walking wounded back, Chase visa sorted, get the Quinadian plus into seasoning mode with the Hornets in exchange for us borrowing a couple of their veterans and all will workout. Im sure the two Brians are on it.

Now Chase has to get a new passport? what the h**l is going on? I'm stupified by the arcane rules that RL/SL inflict on teams..

On the plus side SBW is flying back..feel for him and his family but that's life..I missed a lot of kids bdays etc due to work commitments all over the world. Didn't get 10mil for my troubles though!

11 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Now Chase has to get a new passport? what the h**l is going on? I'm stupified by the arcane rules that RL/SL inflict on teams..

On the plus side SBW is flying back..feel for him and his family but that's life..I missed a lot of kids bdays etc due to work commitments all over the world. Didn't get 10mil for my troubles though!

Quit your whining and start to focus yourself (we can't affod to have you weak minded with the challenges we face)...we are up against it and need all hands on board....now Trinity has won a game and we are in last place.....it will all come together once we can bring our boys home to us where they belong.

BRING OUR BOYS HOME !

5 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Well I'm stupified by Wolfpack incompetence on that one. First they seem to discover and understand the salary cap a bit late, now it's the kolpak rules that they still dont get. Because its Sonny Bill who should apply for a Samoa passport, to be counted as a kolpak wolfpack, he was the last overseas player to sign...

These rules, ridiculous or not, complicated or not, are well known since 2003, no excuse here. 

They might change with Brexit I hope our admin team gets the updates.

All players injured so far have been confirmed injured on Saturday but without much details.

Squad must be named on Wednesday noon, that could give some indications, but again you can name injured players if you don't have any other options. 

• 1. Gareth O'Brien
  • 2. Matty Russell
  • 2. Chase Stanley - Nationality Issues
  • 4. Ricky Leutele
  • 5. Liam Kay
  • 6. Joe Mellor - Wrist Injury (broken)
  • 7. Josh McCrone
  • 8. Adam Sidlow
  • 9. Andy Ackers
  • 10. Anthony Mullally
  • 11. Andrew Dixon
  • 12. Bodene Thompson
  • 13. Jon Wilkin Knee 
  • 14. Darcy Lussick - Injured
  • 15. Gadwin Springer Head
  • 16. Tom Olbison
  • 17 Blake Wallis
  • 18. Brad Singleton
  • 19. Gary Wheeler
  • 20. James Cunningham - Hamstring
  • 21. Sonny Bill Williams - Back from Paternity Leave
  • 22. Greg Worthington - On Loan At Featherstone
  • 23. Hakim Maloudi

16 available so far...

Meanwhile, the Wolfpack’s squad depth continues to test them, and they are understood to have had an approach for one of their players from a Super League rival in return for four fringe players to boost their squad numbers.

https://www.totalrl.com/wolfpack-still-waiting-for-stanley/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wolfpack-still-waiting-for-stanley

All players injured so far have been confirmed injured on Saturday but without much details.

Squad must be named on Wednesday noon, that could give some indications, but again you can name injured players if you don't have any other options. 

• 1. Gareth O'Brien
  • 2. Matty Russell
  • 2. Chase Stanley - Nationality Issues
  • 4. Ricky Leutele
  • 5. Liam Kay
  • 6. Joe Mellor - Wrist Injury (broken)
  • 7. Josh McCrone
  • 8. Adam Sidlow
  • 9. Andy Ackers
  • 10. Anthony Mullally
  • 11. Andrew Dixon
  • 12. Bodene Thompson
  • 13. Jon Wilkin Knee 
  • 14. Darcy Lussick - Injured
  • 15. Gadwin Springer Head
  • 16. Tom Olbison
  • 17 Blake Wallis
  • 18. Brad Singleton
  • 19. Gary Wheeler
  • 20. James Cunningham - Hamstring
  • 21. Sonny Bill Williams - Back from Paternity Leave
  • 22. Greg Worthington - On Loan At Featherstone
  • 23. Hakim Maloudi

16 available so far...

Meanwhile, the Wolfpack’s squad depth continues to test them, and they are understood to have had an approach for one of their players from a Super League rival in return for four fringe players to boost their squad numbers.

https://www.totalrl.com/wolfpack-still-waiting-for-stanley/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wolfpack-still-waiting-for-stanley

In the short term, call back Worthington and call up a Rochdale player. Also get the Ngawati deal over the line.

8 minutes ago, ojx said:

In the short term, call back Worthington and call up a Rochdale player. Also get the Ngawati deal over the line.

I don't think Worthington can be recalled until after the first month of the loan, whenever that is. Any news on Ngawati? It would be nice to see a Canadian player in Super League even if it's only because of the circumstances.

I can see why another club might try to take advantage of the desperation and get themselves a decent play for four reserves but wouldn't that mean the combined wage of all four would have the be the same or less than the outgoing player?

11 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I don't think Worthington can be recalled until after the first month of the loan, whenever that is. Any news on Ngawati? It would be nice to see a Canadian player in Super League even if it's only because of the circumstances.

I can see why another club might try to take advantage of the desperation and get themselves a decent play for four reserves but wouldn't that mean the combined wage of all four would have the be the same or less than the outgoing player?

I just can't see us giving up Ricky to Warrington...we need Ricky.

Archived