Total Rugby League Fans Forum
graveyard johnny

things you used to do that you dont do now

On 10/10/2019 at 17:02, graveyard johnny said:

will start with 3

1. walk in to a bank on a Friday and write out a cheque to myself to withdraw money

2. pull out a choke to start the car

3. buy 1st day covers (stamps)

Firstly fantastic thread and a great idea. for me,taking my mams old papers to the chippy and get a free fish with your order,followed by" tell your mam I was asking after her". secondly,we used to walk to the grocers,fishmongers,butchers( the butcher was tony cotterrill that used to play for leigh,wonderful fellow,and I mean that. that said,on the rugby field he would tear you in half)! we would then drop our bounty off at home,go to the farm,get fresh eggs and bacon etc,come home and have a family breakfast. grandstand was on the telly and when it finished there would be a knock on the door from brad miller or steven cleworth,rugby ball in hand! I never did get to be Ellery hanley…………. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ullman said:

Ride my bike no handed around corners.

Ride my bike without a helmet.

That's pretty sad, can I ask why you don't, pressure from family/club or belief that it will save your life?

38 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

That's pretty sad, can I ask why you don't, pressure from family/club or belief that it will save your life?

My mrs had always fretted about my not wearing a helmet. I had always resisted but I had a nasty spill when a jogger ran out from a side road without looking and ran straight into my path. When my mrs saw the blood and the gash in my forehead she insisted in rather colourful language that that was that, I was wearing a helmet from then on. I wear one more for her peace of mind than my own. I nearly flung the bloody thing in a ditch the first few times I wore it but I've (almost) got used to it. I still hate the way your head boils when you wear one in summer.

• Thanks 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Sadly, ride my bicycle at all. All sold. 

Sorry to hear that, John.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

24 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Sorry to hear that, John.

Knackered shoulders from years of bad technique. My hand made Brian Rourke now resides somewhere in southern England

Four legs good - two legs bad

On 11/10/2019 at 12:21, henage said:

have sex 3/4 times a week 

Is that three to four or three quarters?

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

41 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My mrs had always fretted about my not wearing a helmet. I had always resisted but I had a nasty spill when a jogger ran out from a side road without looking and ran straight into my path. When my mrs saw the blood and the gash in my forehead she insisted in rather colourful language that that was that, I was wearing a helmet from then on. I wear one more for her peace of mind than my own. I nearly flung the bloody thing in a ditch the first few times I wore it but I've (almost) got used to it. I still hate the way your head boils when you wear one in summer.

I hear that a lot tbh, it's weird how people perceive risk, I've been lucky not to get much grief from people regarding my none wearing but it's the exclusion from clubs/racing/events that piddles me off as much as the effective removal of free choice and forcing people to wear and all the negative consequences that come from that.

Here's another, sitting in front of the TV with the family and watching a Morecombe and Wise Special.

On 12/10/2019 at 16:26, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Standing guard to protect your bomb-fire wood so no other streets' kids could pinch it, going bomby raiding to pinch other streets bomb-fire wood😂😎

Sorry to ###### on your bonfire but it's "bonfire".

45 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Knackered shoulders from years of bad technique. My hand made Brian Rourke now resides somewhere in southern England

got any photos? I've two knackered shoulders, one from a high speed crash, the other from rugby, I'm okay for relatively shorter rides on the carbon bike but rarely get in the drops in any case, I tend to ride bigger frames than one would normally use so the longer headstock gives a more comfortable position without needing a silly angled stem.

3 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Sorry to ###### on your bonfire but it's "bonfire".

Yeah, I was thinking about gunpowder plot etc, then as put fingertip to key I thought that doesn't look write.😂

54 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

got any photos? I've two knackered shoulders, one from a high speed crash, the other from rugby, I'm okay for relatively shorter rides on the carbon bike but rarely get in the drops in any case, I tend to ride bigger frames than one would normally use so the longer headstock gives a more comfortable position without needing a silly angled stem.

No photos, sorry. Started out around 1990 as full   Campag Record, Reynolds internally webbed tube (708?) measured by Brian himself as he was still active in the business.  Pure white with blue letters. My titanium MTB has also been sold. Shoulders really really really worn out. 

• Sad 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

No photos, sorry. Started out around 1990 as full   Campag Record, Reynolds internally webbed tube (708?) measured by Brian himself as he was still active in the business.  Pure white with blue letters. My titanium MTB has also been sold. Shoulders really really really worn out. 

😥That sucks big time, I couldn't ever imagine not being able to ride a bike.

Being able to ride home form summer job on a step through moped aged 16 get up the following morning aged 17 and just jump on a motorbike to go to work. Worry about lessons and a test after you had some road experience

When you did do test - examiner was wandering the pavement with a clipboard as you rode past

Edited by SSoutherner
  • Like 2

drink stones and websters hand pulled bitters

• Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

drink stones and websters hand pulled bitters

Bet the 'aroma'  around yours was pleasant the morning after😭😭😭

14 minutes ago, Cherry and White said:

dandelion and burdock. (does it still exists)

Certainly does.

spacer.png

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 minutes ago, Padge said:

Certainly does.

spacer.png

Had one very recently from home bargains . Always takes me back !

Pay a mortgage.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Fentimans also do a dandelion & burdock drink.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On 10/10/2019 at 20:41, Padge said:

Light a coal fire.

Listen for the kettle to whistle.

Chuck everything in one bin.

We still do two of those. We do recycle though. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Facebook. Finally got fed up of the amount of dribble that some people post and the absolute bile they spew at you when your opinion differs from theirs......and these are people i classed as friends. Although i class myself as a mentally strong person some of the abuse really did start to bring me down, to the point that my family noticed a change in my persona. A difference of opinion...yes, abuse...no. So no FB, insta, snapchat, twitter for over 2 weeks, and funnily enough life has become so much nicer. I cant help but think that alot of mental health problems are caused by the social media lifestyle that some have.