What The Hell? Tongan Invitational XIII? No GB Test

Scubby

Apparently politics in Tonga RL, I've heard that players would not play for the old Board. IRFL stepped in and new board appointed. Legal wrangle in Tonga from old board. Hence why shown as invitational, compromise so players would play.

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

In some ways, the GB tour is invitational as they’ve no formal place in the international game. But the Aus vs Tonga game - I thought that was the Pacific Cup? 

Yes it is, you can't just invite a Tongan XIII into the Pacific Cup. This is on the official International RL Facebook page.

3 minutes ago, dunno much said:

That list is missing 5 players Scubby

John Asiata, Andrew Fifita, Addin Fonua-Blake, David Fusitu'a, Siliva Havili, Ata Hingano, William Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Sione Katoa, Tuimoala Lolohea, Manu Ma'u, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai Jr, Kotoni Staggs, Tevita Junior Tatola, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Jason Taumalolo, Daniel Tupou, Sitili  Tupouniua

58 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is this not down to the infighting in Tongan RL that they’ve been given this name? Even so, that’s a good side. 

That's what I assumed. Not having a current Tongan RL organisation that's officially accepted, this is just the Tongan national side under a flag of convenience. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Kotoni Staggs is a name that jumps out there . Tbh I didn’t know he had Tongan heritage but he’s gonna be one of the best around the way he’s developing 

He is going to be a cracking player (he is already very good).  When you see how the likes of Staggs, Payne Haas & David Fafita are progressing, the Broncos are going to be such a good team in a few years if Seibold can get his hands on some decent half backs.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He is going to be a cracking player (he is already very good).  When you see how the likes of Staggs, Payne Haas & David Fafita are progressing, the Broncos are going to be such a good team in a few years if Seibold can get his hands on some decent half backs.

Brodie Croft apparently 

I think we can just be relieved that 'Tonga' are playing, and with a 'full strength team'. If this had not happened, I think we would have seen Australia abandon its match against Tonga, and the GB Lions tour would have essentially collapsed financially. 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Brodie Croft apparently 

Interesting.  He is a good player but more of an individual threat than an on field general which is really what Brisbane needs right now. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Thos was announced last night. Due to the political infighting they have got round it by calling Tonga an Invitational XIII.

I assume it is just a governance thing.

Not sure why you also raised the Burgesa thing as an issue though Scubby, he has pulled out with an injury that may shorten his career.

Archived