Best things about this season

I know its not over quite yet but what the hell - let's have a list of positive things you've enjoyed about this season. For me...

1. Going to Barcelona for the Catalan v Wigan game

2. The growth in women's RL

3. Getting my partner to go along to a couple of games

4. The brilliant LD and PD games

5. Toronto

53 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I know its not over quite yet but what the hell - let's have a list of positive things you've enjoyed about this season. For me...

1. Going to Barcelona for the Catalan v Wigan game

2. The growth in women's RL

3. Getting my partner to go along to a couple of games

4. The brilliant LD and PD games

5. Toronto

I’m with you on 1,2,4 and 5 (I’m sure 3 was lovely) and a Salford win on Saturday would top the lot. 

There are plenty, but some I can immediately think of in addition to the above: 

Gelling sitting with a young fan in the stand at Widnes (its the small things that count)

Chris Hill finally putting a cork in it after the Catalans game (just getting back to playing rugby)

York's performance after their promotion

Westerman's knee (can you imagine that in ANY other sport?) 

and (coming up next weekend) The Reggae Warriors.

Things I have enjoyed this season:

1. The surprisingly large away support at most London games in Ealing. First prize to Hull FC, who weren’t the most numerous but were the loudest with ‘Old Faithful’ and ‘We’ve Got Albert Kelly’ etc. They rocked it. Shame about their team.

2. The rebirth of Salford led by Jackson Hastings - a star on and off the pitch. 

3. Saints’ speed, execution, and speed of execution.

4. The Fab Four at Canberra and in particular John Bateman teaching the Aussies how rugby league should be played.

5. The clampdown on gamesmanship at the ruck following a particularly chronic Catalans game in Perpignan and the immediate improvement.

The NRL has been superb, again. 

State of Origin. It’s always brilliant. Tommy Trbojevic was immense in Origin II, James Maloney was excellent and Gagai’s two late tries in the opener. 

Cooper Cronk bowing out the champion he is. 

The top two of the Championship being Toronto and Toulouse. 

York’s season after promotion in 2018. 

West Wales winning a game. 

Here's a few, and I know partisan loyalty may see you disgreeing with some of them, but what the hell:

Salford's fairytale.
London Broncos' almost-fairytale, the ending partially made up for by the immense team spirit.
St Helens being as exhilaratingly lethal as I've seen since the Long/Martyn era.
Wigan's fightback from the early season doldrums.
Leeds doing the same, to some extent. Both interesting, to see a major club rebuild itself, and occasionally take wrong turns.
Canberra's poms.
A exciting Challenge Cup Final.
OurLeague and Twitch live streams, making it harder and harder to tear yourself away from the TV on a weekend.
Women's RL getting some traction, both in the stands and in viewing accessibility.
Wheelchair RL doing the same.
Adam Hills getting the word out to loads of social media followers about PDRL.
Toronto getting to SL in just three years.
Hearing the guy behind Newcastle Thunder talk about measured, sensible growth and taking the long view.
Looking forward to the international season.
Red Star Belgrade getting a go in the Cup.
Bradford v Leeds in the Cup. What an occasion, what an atmosphere!
Straight relegation being as down-to-the-wire and exciting as the Middle Eight deciders of previous years.
Newcastle being announced as the Magic venue for next year.
Lam, Price and Holbrook playing up to the big screen.
Barcelona (let's draw a veil over the rest of the Catalans' season, okay?)
Patrick Ah Van's selfless gesture of playing for nothing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Would add to the above.

Impressive seasons at Fev and Leigh. Both clubs can be rightly proud of their efforts on and off the field, from a precarious beginning, to be more than competitive.

Swinton finishing mid-table. Quality social media.

Newcastle development work. Quietly building attendances and the Community game.

Magic back at St James'. A sensible decision shock.

Toronto accepted into SL. Would have been crazy not to, but this is RL after all!

Edit. Futtocks got a couple of them in first.

Oh. And 4000 at a Turkish domestic game. Flew a bit under the radar as we saw nearly 10k in Canada. But, if one takes a step back, and thinks back only 5 years, both of them are bloody remarkable.

Whitehaven too. A surprise winner of L1. Suddenly Cumbria's elite side...

there have been many this year haven't there. overall seems the most positive year in my RL lifetime (3 years)

West Wales getting a victory was great.

York making the playoffs.

CC runs by Champ Clubs

London's run against the odds

Salfords amazing story

The coverage of  Champ & League 1 games on our league app

Barcelona game

Wolfpack promotion!!

18 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I’m with you on 1,2,4 and 5 (I’m sure 3 was lovely) and a Salford win on Saturday would top the lot. 

Re 3. One game with her was Skolars draw with Cougars  which was an extraordinary game in the midst of a hurricane! 

Let's see:

Salford in final

Toronto promotion

York

Barcelona

Putting 56 points on KR

Relegation battle

London middle finger to critics

Rise of women's game

Salford winning grand final (I hope) 

England v Jamaica

Return of GB

Its been a great season and rugby league in general has been the winner I think! 

Best things about this season

every game played in all  divisions

every team  that played in  all divisions

every player that played in  all divisions

every fan that went to matches   in all  divisions

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I appear to have missed this news somehow - where, when and who was it?

There was a thread and video last week. Couldn’t believe it! Defo one to add to highlights. 

Archived