Kirsty McColl

Music is one of the things that can really stir my emotions.

When I hear the piano intro part of "The Fairytale of New York" each Christmas, I nearly always find myself welling up, and it's not just the sheer quality of this classic tune that does it.

Part of it is remembering the appalling tragedy of her death and also the subsequent "investigation" into the events that surrounded it.

Wealthy Mexican businessman, powerful speed cruiser, pop star scuba diving with her children in waters where such craft were banned, lowly deckhand with no licence, suddenly claiming to have been at the helm, part way through the investigation.

It reads like a work of fiction.

If only it had been one.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Music is one of the things that can really stir my emotions.

When I hear the piano intro part of "The Fairytale of New York" each Christmas, I nearly always find myself welling up, and it's not just the sheer quality of this classic tune that does it.

Part of it is remembering the appalling tragedy of her death and also the subsequent "investigation" into the events that surrounded it.

Wealthy Mexican businessman, powerful speed cruiser, pop star scuba diving with her children in waters where such craft were banned, lowly deckhand with no licence, suddenly claiming to have been at the helm, part way through the investigation.

It reads like a work of fiction.

If only it had been one.

Her mother tried to get to the bottom of it, but of course the Mexican had much deeper pockets than she had. 

Kirsty was a huge talent.  I went to one of her birthday commemorations at Soho Square - it was very moving.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Dad, Ewan, born in Broughton, Salford.

He wrote "Dirty Old Town" about Salford, also "The Manchester Ramhler" about the famous mass trespass.  He was married to Kirsty's mum and then to Peggy Seeger of the famous US folk group The Weavers

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

An extremely talented woman, whose death was tragic and a travesty of justice.

:kolobok_sad:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 11/10/2019 at 04:01, Old Frightful said:

When I hear the piano intro part of "The Fairytale of New York" each Christmas, I nearly always find myself welling up, and it's not just the sheer quality of this classic tune that does it

I know I'm in a minority but I hate it. 

Always depresses me.... The fake Irish accents make the whole thing so ungenuine too

Kirsty was wonderful

When you read the life of her Dad it is a reminder of all the forgotten things but there's absolutely no in point bringing them up again.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The lead singer has an English accent when he speaks, grew up in England! 

Anyone not singing in there own accent annoys me

?

Well, that's nearly all British rock and pop singers out of it then........?

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The lead singer has an English accent when he speaks, grew up in England! 

Anyone not singing in there own accent annoys me

Shane spent some of his life in Ireland. His vocal delivery was very much playing a part. Some found his delivery to be very over the top and perhaps to imitative of some of the sixties and seventies Irish folk/ballad singers. Some of his songs are better sung by others, although Furry Tail of New York isn't one of them in my opinion.

1 hour ago, longboard said:

His vocal delivery was very much playing a part. 

I think that's always been my issue 

If someone is acting in a play/movie fine

If someone has wrote a song and we are to believe it's genuine and means something then don't fake it. I want to hear the real person delivering their message not a pastiche 

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think that's always been my issue 

If someone is acting in a play/movie fine

If someone has wrote a song and we are to believe it's genuine and means something then don't fake it. I want to hear the real person delivering their message not a pastiche 

It's a persona with most performers.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He was raised in Leytonstone!! 

An area I know way too well (the O'Neil there still haunts my nightmares) 

Some of the strongest cockney accents going are from that way

He's a middle class boy through and through. Nothing wrong with that of course.

On 16/10/2019 at 14:52, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know I'm in a minority but I hate it. 

Always depresses me.... The fake Irish accents make the whole thing so ungenuine too

You and your fake accents.

However, you're not alone. I'm no fan of that particular song.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Archived