Fiji team to join NSW competition

Damien

Great news.

Can I ask a favour, can someone point me in the direction of a website or graphic that describes the pyramid structure for Rugby League in Australia.  The Wiki pages go through all the history so not easy to see what the clear picture is today.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Great news.

Can I ask a favour, can someone point me in the direction of a website or graphic that describes the pyramid structure for Rugby League in Australia.  The Wiki pages go through all the history so not easy to see what the clear picture is today.

I don't know of any graphics of the pyramid (mainly because we don't have a true pyramid), but the Ron Massey's is the NSW third tier competition.

Also I wouldn't get too excited about the club either, as it's totally reliant on funding from the Australian government and that funding runs out after four years. So basically they have four years to either convince the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to extend their grants (and even if they do those grants won't last forever), or find investors or sponsors willing to make up the difference.

I wish the Silktails all the best, and I hope that they can pull it off, but realistically it's more likely then not that they are on borrowed time.

7 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I don't know of any graphics of the pyramid (mainly because we don't have a true pyramid), but the Ron Massey's is the NSW third tier competition.

Also I wouldn't get too excited about the club either, as it's totally reliant on funding from the Australian government and that funding runs out after four years. So basically they have four years to either convince the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to extend their grants (and even if they do those grants won't last forever), or find investors or sponsors willing to make up the difference.

I wish the Silktails all the best, and I hope that they can pull it off, but realistically it's more likely then not that they are on borrowed time.

Nothing like a RL fan to look at the glass half empty..........or completely empty as is usually the case 

32 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Thanks.  So I understand is this 3rd tier under NRL... so NRL then tier 1, 2 & 3 (Ron Massey Cup) or is this 3rd tier with NRL as tier 1?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think there’s a fair chance they get sponsorship to sustain it so think you’re being pessimistic personally 

Exactly. It is a bit ridiculous to be moaning about what may happen in 4 years. A lot of positive things could happen in that time too. Also just because the initial funding is for that time it doesn't mean that this can't be extended, other funding or sponsorships.

Great news... small acorns. Hopefully this also happens in Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands etc...

I'd also advocate doing this across Europe with the British leagues. Serbia have spoken about League 1 but it would be amazing for Italians et al to work towards a similar model.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

can someone point me in the direction of a website or graphic that describes the pyramid structure for Rugby League in Australia

I'm pretty sure Australia abandoned the pyramid in favour for the less shady trapezoid a couple of decades ago.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Exactly. It is a bit ridiculous to be moaning about what may happen in 4 years. A lot of positive things could happen in that time too. Also just because the initial funding is for that time it doesn't mean that this can't be extended, other funding or sponsorships.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I think there’s a fair chance they get sponsorship to sustain it so think you’re being pessimistic personally 

And I think that you know absolutely nothing about the realities of the situation of the sport in the PIs, but if you want to ignore reality to live in a delusion that's up to you, but I warn you that you aren't actually helping anybody by doing so.

Just now, The Great Dane said:

The NRL is the first tier.

NSW cup and Qld cup are second tier.

Ron Massey's (NSW) and (IIRC) FOGS cup (QLD) is third tier.

Great, thanks for this.

27 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

And I think that you know absolutely nothing about the realities of the situation of the sport in the PIs, but if you want to ignore reality to live in a delusion that's up to you, but I warn you that you aren't actually helping anybody by doing so.

And you are delusional if you think you are a mind reader that can predict what will happen in 4 years.

27 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The NRL is the first tier.

NSW cup and Qld cup are second tier.

Ron Massey's (NSW) and (IIRC) FOGS cup (QLD) is third tier.

So they are coming in a level below the PNG Hunters, albeit not in the same state's competition.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

And you are delusional if you think you are a mind reader that can predict what will happen in 4 years.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict that it's unlikely that they'll be able to find a big sponsor willing to chuck in a relatively large amount of money over an extended period of time, into a club in a competition that isn't broadcast at all, and with the expectation that they'll get little to nothing to show for it in return.

They're looking for a big sweetheart deal (or lots of little ones), the same sweetheart deal that they have been searching for for at least a few years now, and I hope that they find it, but the odds are very much against them. To deny that is to deny reality.

On a side note, as I alluded to in another post, all it would take is for Scott Morrison to be replaced as Prime Minister and the whole thing will probably fall apart pretty quickly, and I don't think that we've had a Prime Minister that's lasted more than 4 years in over a decade, LOL. So if recent trends continue they probably don't even have 4 years.

16 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict that it's unlikely that they'll be able to find a big sponsor willing to chuck in a relatively large amount of money over an extended period of time, into a club in a competition that isn't broadcast at all, and with the expectation that they'll get little to nothing to show for it in return.

They're looking for a big sweetheart deal (or lots of little ones), the same sweetheart deal that they have been searching for for at least a few years now, and I hope that they find it, but the odds are very much against them. To deny that is to deny reality.

On a side note, as I alluded to in another post, all it would take is for Scott Morrison to be replaced as Prime Minister and the whole thing will probably fall apart pretty quickly, and I don't think that we've had a Prime Minister that's lasted more than 4 years in over a decade, LOL. So if recent trends continue they probably don't even have 4 years.

You best tell Petero he's wasting his time then ?

7 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Unfortunately I'm just being realistic.

If there's one thing rugby league is short of it's miserable people claiming to "tell it like it is".

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived