Fiji team to join NSW competition

Damien

They are only expected to be in the Ron Massey Cup for 1 season, at the most 2.  It is conditional on the Government funding and in the NRL Strategic plan that they need to be in the Canterbury Cup (NRL requires 2021, Government gives them until 2022).

The Canterbury Cup is actually televised on both Fox Sports and Channel 9, so they get 2 live games a week, plus FBC has already expressed interest in covering the Silktails, so it's not like they won't have coverage moving forward. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

21 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I think there’s a fair chance they get sponsorship to sustain it so think you’re being pessimistic personally 

The Great Dane - not sure where you get your info from but we have a bunch of sponsors and investors other than DFAT through the PacificAusSports program. We also have a Centre of Excellence being built at Nadi International Airport, a leagues Club in Nadi town, two NRL clubs as direct feeder clubs and nearly 60 NSWRL contracted players.

8 hours ago, Copa said:

I suspect there will be more fans of Fiji in the crowd than fans of the local team.

All freebies and cardboard cut outs, and scandalously the people that are there might look like they’re enjoying themselves. 

2 hours ago, ColFraserDotCom said:

Thanks Great Dane for you optimism. Last time I looked we had received more money from Legend Sportswear than we had for the PacificAusSports program. So you might want to email me and get your facts.

Pullup Banner.jpg

Do you only accept blue sponsors?

Best of luck - great to see this. Four years is a decent length of time to build some momentum.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

it's a pity that France does not create a Treizist camp in New Caledonia that is much closer than the Fiji Islands or even Papua New Guinea.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

On 11/10/2019 at 17:11, Damien said:

This can only be good for the game in Fiji and it's continued growth:

Fiji team will join the Ron Massey Cup next season with a view to eventually playing in the Canterbury Cup NSW.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/11/new-fiji-team-to-join-nswrl-competition-in-2020/

I hope they are use players who were born in Fiji or who have Fijian parent/s.

That would be real progress for Fijian Rugby League

18 hours ago, fcl said:

it's a pity that France does not create a Treizist camp in New Caledonia that is much closer than the Fiji Islands or even Papua New Guinea.

I'd like to see each Island nation eventually linked with an existing Qld or NSW Cup team or have their own. By "linked" I mean yearly player trials, taking players "under their wing", a trial or regular season game if viable. Essentially giving every player in the Pacific a pathway if they're good enough.

Of those that could support their own it is probably only PNG and Fiji in the short-medium term. Places like Tonga, Samoa, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands, Cook Islands and even Hawaii would all ideally have a partnership with a QCup or NSW Cup team.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I hope they are use players who were born in Fiji or who have Fijian parent/s.

That would be real progress for Fijian Rugby League

I kind of presumed that is the point of it, to give them that pathway.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I kind of presumed that is the point of it, to give them that pathway.

Doubt they'll ever have a player that isn't Fijian, nor should they really as it would kind of defy the point. Unless they look for players from other Pacific Islands which is unlikely.

15 hours ago, TheReaper said:

No, but the traditional fans of the heartland clubs will reject them for replacing teams ?

If you run a line from West Leagues Club Ashfield to West Leagues Club Campbelltown you run a line through 65% of all Fijians living in Sydney. Most are already members of the AFRL (Australian Fijian Rugby League) they have become our community partner so I think we will be OK.

3 hours ago, ColFraserDotCom said:

If you run a line from West Leagues Club Ashfield to West Leagues Club Campbelltown you run a line through 65% of all Fijians living in Sydney. Most are already members of the AFRL (Australian Fijian Rugby League) they have become our community partner so I think we will be OK.

How many people would that be?

Archived