Has This Match Captured the attention of the non-RL Salford Public?

Salford's fairytale run to the Grand Final seems to have garnered lots of positive publicity, but I guess that I may have this view because I am actively seeking out stories.

What I am interested to know , is for those of you based in Manchester is this game actually catching the attention and interest of those who wouldn't normally know who Salford Red Devils are, let alone discuss at work, or consider going to a game.

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Nah, those in Manchester that like Rugby League won’t support them because they’re called Salford and not Manchester. 

Hopefully being Salford rather than a generic Manchester actually acts a point of difference in the city i.e. if Salford could start growing as a club and making regular Finals, the name Salford in a sporting context would be synonymous with the Rugby League club and representative of Manchester as a whole.

Fairytale, they are certainly not favorites or are the underdogs....  I just can't see the description as fairy tale, especially to the general public.

They are in SL, thats is not in a lower league. They are 3rd in the league standing, whilst have had lesser league standing, like Leeds, Warrington, and other teams in recent years.

Those that follow the game will understand their lack of monies, and general difficult financial situation... but unless you know that back ground why would they see it as a fairy tale.

Salford is going through a sporting boon at the moment with the emergence into the football league of the soccer team and the Red Devils making the league’s Grand Final.

As a local to the general area and working in Manchester, it has always seemed like Manchester United has always dominated the sporting landscape for the Salford lads I know.

But I’m detecting an emerging pride in people about being from Salford, so yes, I would say it’s capturing the imagination.

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Has the game been covered by national news on TV or in print? I don’t watch a lot of TV and never buy a newspaper, just wondering how we’re doing coverage wise. 

More than usual I would say, especially around the Salford ‘Cinderella’ angle.

Tied in with the Toronto angle it’s been a good week for the sport in the U.K. 

I suspect a Salford win tonight will generate much larger headlines than if Saints prevail as expected.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:44, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Nah, those in Manchester that like Rugby League won’t support them because they’re called Salford and not Manchester. 

But those on here who say we don't need a Manchester team do so because they say these people in Manchester will instead flock to Salford, Wigan and Warrington.

Judging by the number of ressurected jerseys on show either archeological digs have been rife from Ordsall to Weaste or a few people have remembered they used to like going to watch the game.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

30 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I just hope that their appearance in the Grand Final can spark a new interest in the Red Devils and see a rise in crowds.

That's the real test for Salford. Even if this run to the final can just attract an additional 1,000 people to matches, out of the many thousands extra that went to the final and semi final, then that would improve the finances of the club immeasurably.

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's the real test for Salford. Even if this run to the final can just attract an additional 1,000 people to matches, out of the many thousands extra that went to the final and semi final, then that would improve the finances of the club immeasurably.

Knowing Salford's luck that won't happen which is a shame because that effort alone deserves it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived