Remarkable - the front cover of the Telegraph’s sport section

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Whilst Dacia may be at the value end, there is no stigma around them like Skoda and Lada used to have. Dacia seem to do really well quality wise and seem well respected and I think are an excellent partner for us.

No question. Sometime in the late 80s I wouldn’t get into my aunties car as it was a Skoda (I was only about 8, but that’s how bad the stigma was). With Dacia I’ve never seen anything remotely like that.

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

No question. Sometime in the late 80s I wouldn’t get into my aunties car as it was a Skoda (I was only about 8, but that’s how bad the stigma was). With Dacia I’ve never seen anything remotely like that.

Lada, Yugo, Wartburg, Trabant and similar makes made dreadul, primitive crud, although the Lada Niva was popular with farmers as a cheap 4x4 that could usually be fixed with a hammer.

Skodas were also basic, but even before the VAG takeover, they built some fairly decent, if spartan, cars. But they got lumped in with the rest when it came to the jokes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

They did both a preview and review of last night's women's GF.

Ross Heppenstall was the byline in both cases. Here's some of his recent work: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/authors/ross-heppenstall/

Another beautiful thought - imagine how many of the worst kind of RU fogeys sneezed their Darjeeling all over the paper this morning? :kolobok_biggrin:

Ha ha.... I still get a warm glow thinking about the evening at the Ethiad and Old Trafford on the day of the 2015 Grand final / 2015 Rugby Union World cup

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha ha.... I still get a warm glow thinking about the evening at the Ethiad and Old Trafford on the day of the 2015 Grand final / 2015 Rugby Union World cup

You have to admit that the England RU team have put on a less error-strewn spectacle this weekend than they did in 2015.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What we should all be doing is, next time we're in the market for a new car, (at least) test drive a DACIA.

I went and bought a print copy of the Telegraph today.  I read it anyway (online) but I thought that the best way to encourage them to maybe support RL a bit more in the future is to buy the paper when they do actually support it!

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I went and bought a print copy of the Telegraph today.  I read it anyway (online) but I thought that the best way to encourage them to maybe support RL a bit more in the future is to buy the paper when they do actually support it!

Bung them a line about how much you enjoyed their coverage too. One sale is fine, but actual feedback is better.

Oh, and their big general knowledge crossword (either Saturday or Sunday, I can't remember which) is a pretty decent brain workout too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

What we should all be doing is, next time we're in the market for a new car, (at least) test drive a DACIA.

My father drives a Dacia Sandero, and gets the Telegraph every day. He is supremely uninterested in sport of any kind, but is unwittingly supporting The Cause. Nice one, Dad.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bung them a line about how much you enjoyed their coverage too. One sale is fine, but actual feedback is better.

Oh, and their big general knowledge crossword (either Saturday or Sunday, I can't remember which) is a pretty decent brain workout too.

Saturday.

Just returned from a car tour of Northen Spain, France, Germany etc. Dusters are dry popular in France (possible because of Renault ownership of Romanian car company Dacia . Dacia used to make the Renault 8 and 12 under licence.) Strong cultural links between France and Romania. 

Overall, Dacia narrowly outsold VW in France last year at 140, 000 units in total

Duster review here: 

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/dacia/duster

Would have bought one at last car-change except it would not tow our rather heavy caravan. 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Great to see the England shirt given this level of publicity. Sadly England don’t play a single game this year

Are the wheelchair and womens England teams (who are actually pictured there) not playing any games?

On 12/10/2019 at 10:58, Dave T said:

Whilst Dacia may be at the value end, there is no stigma around them like Skoda and Lada used to have. Dacia seem to do really well quality wise and seem well respected and I think are an excellent partner for us.

What is the difference between a Lada and a Jehovah's Witness?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness!

On 12/10/2019 at 09:58, Dave T said:

That’s not strictly true. In times gone by, Clarkson regularly used to ridicule them (the Sandero I think) on Top Gear. Granted they’ve come on a long way since then

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That’s not strictly true. In times gone by, Clarkson regularly used to ridicule them (the Sandero I think) on Top Gear. Granted they’ve come on a long way since then

I think Top Gear (as I recall, at least) were ridiculing the obscurity of the brand, and it was James May doing most of the jokes. When he actually got to drive one, he was actually impressed with the VFM. Then Clarkson had the car destroyed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think Top Gear (as I recall, at least) were ridiculing the obscurity of the brand, and it was James May doing most of the jokes. When he actually got to drive one, he was actually impressed with the VFM. Then Clarkson had the car destroyed.

They regularly reviewed them each series for about 15 seconds about their new car, with Clarkson always making a derogatory comment. May and Hammond less so

15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They regularly reviewed them each series for about 15 seconds about their new car, with Clarkson always making a derogatory comment. May and Hammond less so

There was a regular spot on the news section, where May would announce, with great fanfare, that the Dacia Sandero had "almost" arrived on the UK market. Then someone would hastily change the subject to Ferraris or Porsches or whatever. I don't think they actually reviewed the car any more than that one time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There was a regular spot on the news section, where May would announce, with great fanfare, that the Dacia Sandero had "almost" arrived on the UK market. Then someone would hastily change the subject to Ferraris or Porsches or whatever. I don't think they actually reviewed the car any more than that one time.

Yeah that’s right, although there was more to it with Clarkson chiefly ridiculing Dacia 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1483402/car-mocked-mercilessly-by-former-top-gear-hosts-is-voted-one-of-the-most-reliable-motors-in-the-uk/

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-old-top-gear-reasonably-priced-REzsU0c0SP-f2CIM3mNXrg?iid=CtAX7ga2SI6OkSukQcPf9Q

Archived