Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

Eliud Kipchoge becomes first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours

You’d think he’d just jogged to the shops for a paper . He was running around celebrating fresh as owt . Incredible 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:04, JohnM said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/49771509

Easy peasy!  He was running for less than two hours. I was much fitter in 1982 when I ran a marathon in just over 4 hours. I was running for a much longer time!!

It’s true

I ran this year’s London marathon in over 5 1/2 hours and felt worse afterwards than when I’ve taken 3 1/2 hours. 2 hours must be a doddle 

Not a true record as it was specifically set-up with pacemakers all the way and was not in a competitive event -  and also just a publicity gimmick for Nike's new shoes.

Nobody would say it's a record if St.Helens played a friendly against a very low-ranking amateur team and scored the most number of points in a match.

Dont think anybody is saying its a world marathon record . Still one of the greatest runs by a male athlete . Wont be long before someone dips under 2 hours in a marathon race . 13mph on my bike takes some doing   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henage said:

Dont think anybody is saying its a world marathon record . Still one of the greatest runs by a male athlete . Wont be long before someone dips under 2 hours in a marathon race . 13mph on my bike takes some doing   

There is no definitive marathon record really, as the courses, conditions ad other factors over the distance are so variable. A track race can still have variables, but they only affect by small margins.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m surprised it’s not called the snickers now

That joke's going to die a death soon: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snickers-marathon-chocolate-bars-morrisons-a9105926.html - if only for a while.

The bar's original name was Snickers anyway; they changed it for the UK market. The same company also produced a bar in the USA called Marathon, which was a version of the Curly Wurly. Confused yet?

Edited by Futtocks

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There is no definitive marathon record really, as the courses, conditions ad other factors over the distance are so variable. A track race can still have variables, but they only affect by small margins.

However, records at altitude have been equally affected by conditions not available elsewhere yet they are still allowed to be counted as such.

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That joke's going to die a death soon: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/snickers-marathon-chocolate-bars-morrisons-a9105926.html - if only for a while.

The bar's original name was Snickers anyway; they changed it for the UK market. The same company also produced a bar in the USA called Marathon, which was a version of the Curly Wurly. Confused yet?

Very easily 

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The best thing for confusion is some sweets

Have some opal fruits

Can I get them on prescription 

• Haha 1

Did he really need all those pace makers? Couldn't he have run to the Rocky IV training soundtrack on loop? Same effect