Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

So GB is dead after a few games? RFL sticking with England?

Recommended Posts

The bizarre state of affairs goes on. The first GB tours in 27 years is just a week or two away, and the RFL is focussing on creating an England RL supporters club.

I assume this means a couple of things?

  • England is the brand going forward
  • They want GB to quietly go away after the autumn

Unless I am mistaken? But this does have a feel of "GB, oh yeah. That" The effort they have put into the GB is nothing short of disgraceful.

https://www.rugby-league.com/england/article/55805/england-fans-you-decide 

Edited by Scubby
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GB. Nige's parting gift. A concept no one else was really into.

  • Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastLondonMike said:

GB. Nige's parting gift. A concept no one else was really into.

The idea should have been shelved again as soon as Australia weren't interested.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we've been around this block a load of times but... the problem isn't that they aren't backing GB long term, but that it was brought back at all. 

For a whole load of structural reasons, England will be the main rugby league identity for the RFL for the foreseeable future. Therefore it makes sense for them to develop it as much as they can, particularly ahead of the world cup, which is such a defining moment for our game. 

They barely have the resources to promote one identity, let alone two, so it's no surprise GB will be a flash in the pan. But we are where we are, and I'll still enjoy the games, and I do like the merch. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s not dead as there is another tour planned in 2024. Better luck next time, Scubs!

Much like the confederation cup it is never going to happen. Especially after the losses for this tour are added up.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So what ideas do people have for names?

The White Supremacists?

The Lion Pack?

Your first suggestion is reprehensible, even if said as an attempt at "humour".

Lions live in a pride, so the second would make the team a laughing stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So what ideas do people have for names?

The White Supremacists?

The Lion Pack?

Golden Lions

White Noise

Crusaders

Fans of Steel

The Smack Pack

The Wacky Pack

The Joy of Six (Tackles)

Joy Division

New Order

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

GB. Nige's parting gift. A concept no one else was really into.

I am Mike, and so to are 40 others I met last week prior to boarding the plane on the 23rd.

OK, we the group of people are fortunate enough both time and financially to be able to make the trip, but I will ask all those fan's of RL being those detractors of the GB team concept if the venue's had been reversed and shortly over a four week period we had Tests v Tonga, 2 v The Kiwis and also against PNG played over here in the coming weeks do you think they would have been boycotted or well attended? indeed how many fans are not going to watch the games on TV, either live or recorded, as a point of principal that they are against the GB team?

I think we may well have quite a number of hypocrites from these pages, just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am Mike, and so to are 40 others I met last week prior to boarding the plane on the 23rd.

OK, we the group of people are fortunate enough both time and financially to be able to make the trip, but I will ask all those fan's of RL being those detractors of the GB team concept if the venue's had been reversed and shortly over a four week period we had Tests v Tonga, 2 v The Kiwis and also against PNG played over here in the coming weeks do you think they would have been boycotted or well attended? indeed how many fans are not going to watch the games on TV, either live or recorded, as a point of principal that they are against the GB team?

I think we may well have quite a number of hypocrites from these pages, just a thought.

I don't really see how that would make people hypocrites Harry.

If it's a choice between some and no international Rugby League then I'm sure that most RL fans would choose to watch the Rugby League. It doesn't mean that they have to agree with the decision. Beggars can't be choosers, especially when it comes to international RL.

By the same token I don't expect all those that favour GB opposed to an England team have boycotted England games for the last decade or more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't really see how that would make people hypocrites Harry.

If it's a choice between some and no international Rugby League then I'm sure that most RL fans would choose to watch the Rugby League. It doesn't mean that they have to agree with the decision. Beggars can't be choosers, especially when it comes to international RL.

By the same token I don't expect all those that favour GB opposed to an England team have boycotted England games for the last decade or more.

I've just seen videos of all the 9s players with all their England RL bags, kits and gear on heading off to Sydney. I suppose that is all going to be binned for GB stuff for 4 weeks?

The lack of RFL support and promotion for the GB tour has been nothing short of staggering. Launching the England membership scheme on the eve of the tour is equally strange. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I've just seen videos of all the 9s players with all their England RL bags, kits and gear on heading off to Sydney. I suppose that is all going to be binned for GB stuff for 4 weeks?

The lack of RFL support and promotion for the GB tour has been nothing short of staggering. Launching the England membership scheme on the eve of the tour is equally strange. 

The lack of joined up strategy is astounding on this. Any half competent organisation and manager would see all the a mile off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't really see how that would make people hypocrites Harry.

If it's a choice between some and no international Rugby League then I'm sure that most RL fans would choose to watch the Rugby League. It doesn't mean that they have to agree with the decision. Beggars can't be choosers, especially when it comes to international RL.

By the same token I don't expect all those that favour GB opposed to an England team have boycotted England games for the last decade or more.

Hi Damien, have you frequented these pages since the announcement and confirmation of a GB touring team was first announced? 

If so you will be witness to some of the very adverse comments that decision has recieved, from, whats the point, all English no other home country player's, no continuity, waste of time, financial disaster etc etc. Some have been very vociferous in their hatred towards it and would seemingly do anything to denounce, criticise and condemn it. It is those I am pointing at who publicly stated their abhorence and loathing of it, as I said I do not think it would stop them from attending if the series was over here or will stop them tuning when it is on TV from down under.

As for your last sentance, I don't think that I have ever seen and read any condemnation of an England team from any quarter, for my own take on it, I would play as 'Home' international teams which we have to do for the contrived competition that is the RL World Cup (a competition of 12 teams, populated by about 65 to 70% of born and bred Australians) then bring in the GB team for a test series every 4 years irrespective of whether it is made up entirely of English or not, it gives the opportunity to other born home nation player's to compete at the top level if they are good enough.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Damien said:

The idea should have been shelved again as soon as Australia weren't interested.

certainly gives off an air of inadequacy in regards to the Australians,that said if they aren't interested in playing us,then who will they play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am Mike, and so to are 40 others I met last week prior to boarding the plane on the 23rd.

OK, we the group of people are fortunate enough both time and financially to be able to make the trip, but I will ask all those fan's of RL being those detractors of the GB team concept if the venue's had been reversed and shortly over a four week period we had Tests v Tonga, 2 v The Kiwis and also against PNG played over here in the coming weeks do you think they would have been boycotted or well attended? indeed how many fans are not going to watch the games on TV, either live or recorded, as a point of principal that they are against the GB team?

I think we may well have quite a number of hypocrites from these pages, just a thought.

I wasn't referring to the fans. I was referring to the RFL. 

I too am a fan of the GB concept. I just don't think now is the right time for it to come back. That doesn't mean I won't support the team though.


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Your first suggestion is reprehensible, even if said as an attempt at "humour".

Get over yourself. Of course it wasn't a serious suggestion. I picked the most extreme and blatantly stupid suggestion I could think of as a lighthearted way of illustrating that any name involving "white" is somewhat problematic, due to the (in most cases unintended) racial connotations. Even Man of Kent's "White Noise" - which given its connection to sound might make it seem viable - actually sounds more like a magazine that the BNP might produce.

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Lions live in a pride, so the second would make the team a laughing stock.

Fine. Let's discount that suggestion then. Now lets review your suggestions. Oh, what a surprise - you didn't contribute ANYTHING. Just moaning and then further down, more moaning. As you were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Golden Lions

White Noise

Crusaders

Fans of Steel

The Smack Pack

The Wacky Pack

The Joy of Six (Tackles)

Joy Division

New Order

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

 

Good efforts, but nothing that especially stands out for me. And I feel like you may have lost your way somewhat towards the end.

M62 Crew

Grim up north Gang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anybody know what this England fan club involves? It better include a car sticker, a decent pin badge and a proper membership card 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Get over yourself. Of course it wasn't a serious suggestion. I picked the most extreme and blatantly stupid suggestion I could think of as a lighthearted way of illustrating that any name involving "white" is somewhat problematic, due to the (in most cases unintended) racial connotations. Even Man of Kent's "White Noise" - which given its connection to sound might make it seem viable - actually sounds more like a magazine that the BNP might produce.

Fine. Let's discount that suggestion then. Now lets review your suggestions. Oh, what a surprise - you didn't contribute ANYTHING. Just moaning and then further down, more moaning. As you were.

White Noise was actualy a BM record label for #### like Screwdriver and Brutal Attack etc.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GB merch is a lot nicer that the england gear.....apart from that I'm not bothered....be nice to see more internationals whether it's GB or England I don't really care..... the whole international set up is frustratingly rubbish......not playing Australia.....only playing NZ twice......its just tin pot.

  • Like 1

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...