Schofield

Just to be dDevils Advocate on this . We’re these sexist comments he was making , in fairness to Gary he has always been forthright in his comments and how he compares teams in the men’s game . I didn’t see the game but is the standard poor . I’m just of the opinion that we break this down and calmly look at the facts , was it .

Sexist . 

reasonable this is ment to be the women’s super league with all the coverage that entails , it needs to have a minimum standard .

a misguided comment that hampers participation , yes the standard may be lacking but let’s approach how we comment in a better way .

im just conscious that we don’t do the modern thing and have people bandwagon any cause of race or gender just to not offend / self serve as opposed to sensibly look at the issue .

No pre conceived ideas on my part , the women’s developed hugely in the last few years in its visibility , and anyone who laced a boot up is a hero in my mind .

Discuss

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thanks. Garry has rightly climbed down from his poorly worded comments. Let's move on and think about how we improve the access to, and standard of, all forms of the game - women's, men's, LD, PD, juniors, wheelchair, and so on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Poower Lad said:

Just to be dDevils Advocate on this . We’re these sexist comments he was making , in fairness to Gary he has always been forthright in his comments and how he compares teams in the men’s game . I didn’t see the game but is the standard poor . I’m just of the opinion that we break this down and calmly look at the facts , was it .

If you compare the game to a male Super League match then yes the standard was poor. Why it would be compared to a male SL match is beyond me though although I do think GS to it to the extreme with his comments on the game.

I will say though as a male involved in the womens game I can clearly break down where the big differences in this percieved lack of quality come from. As a young lad all I wanted to do was play Rugby with my mates, every minute I could at home, every break at school it were rugby. If I were not playing Rugby I were watching rugby, it's funny but I used to pretend I were GS when I were about 12 years of age. By the time I were 13 or 14 I literally had hundreds of thousands of hours of practice under my belt now compare that to a lot of girls who do not have them hours simply because Rugby is not going to be first choice when it comes to what girls would rather do, they are usually limited to a couple of hours training a week, maybe a match and every now and again a kick around with the few of their mates that have ambitions of playing the game at a good level.

I would say at the age of 16 most girls will be playing a standard of rugby that is at least 2 years behind their male counterparts at the same age. Now don't get conned that these girls don't put it in on the field, some of the biggest shots I have seen on a rugby field have been from girls. They are passionate, they are full bloodied, they put their bodies on the line and their game is on the up, there is none of the robotic stuff like we get in SL and while there is differences in skill between the teams it allows creativity and off the cuff stuff to flourish. The womens game is growing massively and will continue to do so and as that gets more popular more girls will participate and eventually this will lead to skill levels rising too. So yeah maybe there were some truth in what GS said but he could have put it a much better way or maybe talked about the improvement in the womens game in the last 2 years alone.

Spot on comments @The Blues Ox ?

i said on another thread the irony in Schofields initial comment was that it's attitudes like his that have held back the Women's Game for years , A lack of access to facilities ,development opportunities and funding caused by the ' Old Time its a mans game ' mentality - not always openly but rippling under at many an amateur club and RL Governance board level has dogged the sport for years .. 

He should take a look at the Aussies/Kiwis for what can be achieved. 

Its superb to watch.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

At the risk of giving him more attention, he would have been absolutely correct to say that there were some poor catches of kicks, and that several passes went astray. I have seen better examples of both in this season's regular Women's SL matches, and from some of those same players, but that's the big occasion for you.

Instead, he just jeered and said it was like a bunch of children. A cheap shot, and one that played to the gallery of "I speak my mind and it doesn't take very long" types, who love to sneer and belittle anything outside their own narrow experience.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Gary needs to give the Womens game time to develop.

He's 54 years old remember.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

If you compare the game to a male Super League match then yes the standard was poor. Why it would be compared to a male SL match is beyond me though although I do think GS to it to the extreme with his comments on the game.

I will say though as a male involved in the womens game I can clearly break down where the big differences in this percieved lack of quality come from. As a young lad all I wanted to do was play Rugby with my mates, every minute I could at home, every break at school it were rugby. If I were not playing Rugby I were watching rugby, it's funny but I used to pretend I were GS when I were about 12 years of age. By the time I were 13 or 14 I literally had hundreds of thousands of hours of practice under my belt now compare that to a lot of girls who do not have them hours simply because Rugby is not going to be first choice when it comes to what girls would rather do, they are usually limited to a couple of hours training a week, maybe a match and every now and again a kick around with the few of their mates that have ambitions of playing the game at a good level.

I would say at the age of 16 most girls will be playing a standard of rugby that is at least 2 years behind their male counterparts at the same age. Now don't get conned that these girls don't put it in on the field, some of the biggest shots I have seen on a rugby field have been from girls. They are passionate, they are full bloodied, they put their bodies on the line and their game is on the up, there is none of the robotic stuff like we get in SL and while there is differences in skill between the teams it allows creativity and off the cuff stuff to flourish. The womens game is growing massively and will continue to do so and as that gets more popular more girls will participate and eventually this will lead to skill levels rising too. So yeah maybe there were some truth in what GS said but he could have put it a much better way or maybe talked about the improvement in the womens game in the last 2 years alone.

Brilliant and informative response based on evidence . I think it’s worth discussing these kind of things in an open and calm manner however unpalatable people may or may not find them . Completely agree with you on this now thanks . 

To be fair to Schofield he has been complimentary towards the women's game in the past. 

I haven't seen the game in question to be able to comment on the quality of it. But if a similar comment was made about a men's game (and it often is) then no one would care. Just because its the women's game it doesn't mean they should be immune from criticism. And saying the standard was poor isn't in itself sexist.

That said people need to stop comparing to the men's game and just appreciate it in its own right. No one says that Dina Asher Smith is much slower than the men, or that Simone Biles can't vault as high as the men. They are rightly applauded for being amazing athletes in their own right. The same should go for our own women. 

Let us all be honest here, Schofield is an utter and total w@n3r.

He makes money from being an absolute t0$$er, don't give him oxygen*

*yes I know I just did, 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

In this week's League Express he hasn't exactly apologised.

In fact, he is so upset that with the flak he has had to face that he is threatening to leave rugby league altogether!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

he is so upset that with the flak he has had to face that he is threatening to leave rugby league altogether!

You're kidding?

I mean, it's not the first time he's faced some pushback for an opinion. What's different?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The only shock is that it’s taken this long for Schofield to show his true colours. 

I’ve hoped the game would turn it’s collective back on him for years, his archaic, nonsensical rants are not wanted and paint the game in such a poor way. This should be the reason he’s bounced out of the game for good. 

Super League were advertising that he was part of the pre-match entertainment in the Fanzone for Rugby AM.

Tone deaf.

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Why don't those teams join the womes league then.........

The women getting on TV are the elite athletes in their sport, just because big Dave playing for West Wales is technically a better player should not come in to the argument.

It gives people of a certain mindset the chance to moan about quotas, PC gone-mad etc. 

But they are not sexist mind, just erm.....

People may or may not like Schoefield.  It's a free country (for now).  He is entitled to his opinion as well.

I do not read or listen to him, or others much on media either. So I don't know what he has supposed to have said, or how. If he has been rude etc then it's a bit different, but he has an opinion which others are free to comment on. Equally, shooting the messenger is stupid as well.

There are any number of athletic pursuits (not least athletics!) that are open to men and women. They are all legitimate. It would probably take all week to consider the differences between them and their suitable viability.

Frankly to me, some look more suited to men than women and vice versa. I think, because I respect women, I am entitled not to enjoy certain womens competitive sports. A male boxer is today in hospital on life support; thats bad enough, I abhore the notion of female boxing. I think beach volleyball is a sick joke for instance and I hate the idea of women mimicking men's scrums with all their colliflour ears and thick necks.  I'd like to hope women would avoid the tattoos as well.  I'm probably old fashioned... 

We should encourage athleticism, let's start from there and see how things go. In due course I'm sure a woman can learn how to milk a penalty as well as the next man...

Two points from me.

Firstly, there is absolutely no value in comparing the quality of the women's game to the men's game.  They are separate competitions with the Super League the pinnacle of the domestic competition and the international game the pinnacle globally.  We can enjoy and celebrate both the men's and women's game as we (hopefully) see our game grow.

Yes, it is a free country and people are allowed to express their opinions.  And the fact it is a free country also allows girls and women to play whatever sport they choose, irrelevant of whether someone thinks it 'suits them'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I watched the challenge cup final before the 2 semis, my son was keen to watch it as it was a cup final, didnt care that it was the womens game... 

I say the next bit just because a comparison is useful not that i think it should be compared at all.. I felt it was to the same sort of level as the top level amateur mens game.. The hits were as hard, the handling as good etc.. what i felt it lacked in terms of "top level" is the extra little things that training full time get you, a little cohesion and athleticism but that would come if they were paid full time I am sure. But what both my son and I said was that it was probably the most entertaining match of the day. The Warrington match was better as we had "skin in the game" but for pure entertainment the womens final was superb. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I would go and pay to watch more of it without an issue. 

To compare does them no favours and for that I apologise for the above but it was to show that I honestly think they are not far off and probably exactly where the mens game would be if it were amateur. But that for entertainment value that does not matter and it was a great game. I didn't see the grand final but was told it was a good game, there are plenty of mens games where pressure tells and mistakes happen. 

I hope it grows and more people get involved, the womens game is another great string to RL's bow and the more people playing the game the better. Its also great to have the positive sporting roll models in more sports that are not "feminine" for people like my daughter to look up to.. she is starting to take an interest now in certain non traditional sports simply because they are getting more exposure.. and that is a good thing!

Archived