Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Poower Lad

Schofield

18 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

I certainly know those teams existed, and many more besides. You are dodging my question, I am not asking you to name Yourself. If I am not mistaken nobody has mentioned pay other than you. Amateur rugby league is not a job. If someone wishes to broadcast the playoff games from the football leagues 4th professional tier because the games  might be even, entertaining, and of interest to 30,000 people so be it, no one thinks that those players should then be on 200000 per week. You weren't involved with Woolston were you? 

As I said in my earlier post, it wasn't just about women's RL I was commenting on, but there are some people who do want equal pay because they are the best at their level, even though that level is not equal to the standard of the teams they themselves want to be paid the same as ...

https://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/blog/women-in-football-are-demanding-pay-equality-we-must-no-longer-let-them-be-second-class-citizens

As I said I won't indicate my association with the women's game at that time purely to prevent possible identification ... which most do on here otherwise we wouldn't use pseudonyms.

4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You too have blown your arguement out of the water ...

You say   " .....those players for the Women's SL Teams are the best female RL  players in the Country ...."

Yes,. best at their level .. but that level is surpassed by many other RL teams who don't get such attention given to them

It is not the women's game in general I was commenting on but where some people want the same rewards even though they don't produce the same quality or revenue.  As shown here ...

https://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/blog/women-in-football-are-demanding-pay-equality-we-must-no-longer-let-them-be-second-class-citizens

They want equality of pay yet what about the equality of income the different sides bring in for their clubs ?

This discussion is about womens RL.

In this week's League Express he hasn't exactly apologised.

In fact, he is so upset that with the flak he has had to face that he is threatening to leave rugby league altogether!

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This discussion is about womens RL.

Yes it is but although the link I posted was to do with soccer (which was to highlight the fact that there are those who want equal pay despite not bringing in equal revenue) in my previous posts I had referred to such RL teams having advantages of using professional club grounds, as well as facilities, and appearing on tv ... which is more than many other teams can do who play a better standard of game. It's not the women's game that I am against; it's having some pity for those teams who play a better standard but are not given get the same treatment.

7 hours ago, Bearman said:

In this week's League Express he hasn't exactly apologised.

In fact, he is so upset that with the flak he has had to face that he is threatening to leave rugby league altogether!

Wouldn’t be missed by me

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

he is so upset that with the flak he has had to face that he is threatening to leave rugby league altogether!

You're kidding?

I mean, it's not the first time he's faced some pushback for an opinion. What's different?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The only shock is that it’s taken this long for Schofield to show his true colours. 

I’ve hoped the game would turn it’s collective back on him for years, his archaic, nonsensical rants are not wanted and paint the game in such a poor way. This should be the reason he’s bounced out of the game for good. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes it is but although the link I posted was to do with soccer (which was to highlight the fact that there are those who want equal pay despite not bringing in equal revenue) in my previous posts I had referred to such RL teams having advantages of using professional club grounds, as well as facilities, and appearing on tv ... which is more than many other teams can do who play a better standard of game. It's not the women's game that I am against; it's having some pity for those teams who play a better standard but are not given get the same treatment.

Men and women to be paid the same in the World Cup 9s.

Also, all participants, regardless of team, to receive the same match fee in the Oceania Cup.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/14/men-and-women-on-same-pay-for-world-cup-9s/

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Which women's teams play a better standard?

Men's and Women's sport is different, why keep comparing them? There can be only one conclusion drawn from this, and it ends up with you being sexist, even though you keep saying it isn't that. What motive do you have for bringing up that some other men's teams are better than these women whenever it is brought up. And you are vocal every time on it.

They are the best women players.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The only shock is that it’s taken this long for Schofield to show his true colours. 

I’ve hoped the game would turn it’s collective back on him for years, his archaic, nonsensical rants are not wanted and paint the game in such a poor way. This should be the reason he’s bounced out of the game for good. 

Super League were advertising that he was part of the pre-match entertainment in the Fanzone for Rugby AM.

Tone deaf.

22 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Gary is lots of fun but was wrong on this one

He ain't the best articulator though so not sure he always means what he says

He not known for intelligence that's for sure

9 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Why don't those teams join the womes league then.........

The women getting on TV are the elite athletes in their sport, just because big Dave playing for West Wales is technically a better player should not come in to the argument.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Why don't those teams join the womes league then.........

The women getting on TV are the elite athletes in their sport, just because big Dave playing for West Wales is technically a better player should not come in to the argument.

It gives people of a certain mindset the chance to moan about quotas, PC gone-mad etc. 

But they are not sexist mind, just erm.....

• Like 1

People may or may not like Schoefield.  It's a free country (for now).  He is entitled to his opinion as well.

I do not read or listen to him, or others much on media either. So I don't know what he has supposed to have said, or how. If he has been rude etc then it's a bit different, but he has an opinion which others are free to comment on. Equally, shooting the messenger is stupid as well.

There are any number of athletic pursuits (not least athletics!) that are open to men and women. They are all legitimate. It would probably take all week to consider the differences between them and their suitable viability.

Frankly to me, some look more suited to men than women and vice versa. I think, because I respect women, I am entitled not to enjoy certain womens competitive sports. A male boxer is today in hospital on life support; thats bad enough, I abhore the notion of female boxing. I think beach volleyball is a sick joke for instance and I hate the idea of women mimicking men's scrums with all their colliflour ears and thick necks.  I'd like to hope women would avoid the tattoos as well.  I'm probably old fashioned... 

We should encourage athleticism, let's start from there and see how things go. In due course I'm sure a woman can learn how to milk a penalty as well as the next man...

Edited by Rupert Prince

Two points from me.

Firstly, there is absolutely no value in comparing the quality of the women's game to the men's game.  They are separate competitions with the Super League the pinnacle of the domestic competition and the international game the pinnacle globally.  We can enjoy and celebrate both the men's and women's game as we (hopefully) see our game grow.

Yes, it is a free country and people are allowed to express their opinions.  And the fact it is a free country also allows girls and women to play whatever sport they choose, irrelevant of whether someone thinks it 'suits them'.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Difference of opinions. It may seem sexist to you but it isn't meant to be.

you do know that is not how it works don't you? just because it "isn't meant to be" doesn't all of a sudden negate the fact that it is.

I watched the challenge cup final before the 2 semis, my son was keen to watch it as it was a cup final, didnt care that it was the womens game... 

I say the next bit just because a comparison is useful not that i think it should be compared at all.. I felt it was to the same sort of level as the top level amateur mens game.. The hits were as hard, the handling as good etc.. what i felt it lacked in terms of "top level" is the extra little things that training full time get you, a little cohesion and athleticism but that would come if they were paid full time I am sure. But what both my son and I said was that it was probably the most entertaining match of the day. The Warrington match was better as we had "skin in the game" but for pure entertainment the womens final was superb. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I would go and pay to watch more of it without an issue. 

To compare does them no favours and for that I apologise for the above but it was to show that I honestly think they are not far off and probably exactly where the mens game would be if it were amateur. But that for entertainment value that does not matter and it was a great game. I didn't see the grand final but was told it was a good game, there are plenty of mens games where pressure tells and mistakes happen. 

I hope it grows and more people get involved, the womens game is another great string to RL's bow and the more people playing the game the better. Its also great to have the positive sporting roll models in more sports that are not "feminine" for people like my daughter to look up to.. she is starting to take an interest now in certain non traditional sports simply because they are getting more exposure.. and that is a good thing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Which women's teams play a better standard?

Men's and Women's sport is different, why keep comparing them? There can be only one conclusion drawn from this, and it ends up with you being sexist, even though you keep saying it isn't that. What motive do you have for bringing up that some other men's teams are better than these women whenever it is brought up. And you are vocal every time on it.

They are the best women players.

You can compare anything, but it doesn't mean we should.

Yes, (most) men will be better at rugby league and will play it to a much higher standard given the chance. It can't be argued that the handling skills of the women were well off that of the men.

However, if it's all about the actual skill, why are we wasting our time with men's 100m sprints when we could be watching cheetahs doing it? We are watching the best of that section of the game.

There is nothing achieved in comparing it to another section when they have so many disadvantages in comparison to them.

• Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

35 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You can compare anything, but it doesn't mean we should.

Yes, (most) men will be better at rugby league and will play it to a much higher standard given the chance. It can't be argued that the handling skills of the women were well off that of the men.

However, if it's all about the actual skill, why are we wasting our time with men's 100m sprints when we could be watching cheetahs doing it? We are watching the best of that section of the game.

There is nothing achieved in comparing it to another section when they have so many disadvantages in comparison to them.

Indeed. The best Women's teams are competing against the other best women's teams.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

I watched the challenge cup final before the 2 semis, my son was keen to watch it as it was a cup final, didnt care that it was the womens game... 

I say the next bit just because a comparison is useful not that i think it should be compared at all.. I felt it was to the same sort of level as the top level amateur mens game.. The hits were as hard, the handling as good etc.. what i felt it lacked in terms of "top level" is the extra little things that training full time get you, a little cohesion and athleticism but that would come if they were paid full time I am sure. But what both my son and I said was that it was probably the most entertaining match of the day. The Warrington match was better as we had "skin in the game" but for pure entertainment the womens final was superb. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I would go and pay to watch more of it without an issue. 

To compare does them no favours and for that I apologise for the above but it was to show that I honestly think they are not far off and probably exactly where the mens game would be if it were amateur. But that for entertainment value that does not matter and it was a great game. I didn't see the grand final but was told it was a good game, there are plenty of mens games where pressure tells and mistakes happen. 

I hope it grows and more people get involved, the womens game is another great string to RL's bow and the more people playing the game the better. Its also great to have the positive sporting roll models in more sports that are not "feminine" for people like my daughter to look up to.. she is starting to take an interest now in certain non traditional sports simply because they are getting more exposure.. and that is a good thing!

Sorry RP but you should have just stuck with what you then go on to say - there is no value or point in comparing the men's to the women's game. The highlighted statement is just ridiculous to be honest and I say that in the knowledge of both supporting and coaching in the women's game. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sorry RP but you should have just stuck with what you then go on to say - there is no value or point in comparing the men's to women's game. The highlighted statement is just ridiculous to be honest and I say that in the knowledge of both supporting and coaching in the women's game. 

i thought carefully about whether to use it and felt that, for anyone who hadnt seen it, it was a description of the level the handling, vision etc was at.. ie top level.. what they lack in the mens amateur game vs mens professional game is the same as what is complained about with the women's game IMHO which is why I decided to use it as the example. I do not like the comparisons with the mens game as it is not and would not normally use it. I am sorry you find it ridiculous (i apologised on the original post as well as I dont feel comparisons with the mens game are good) I was hoping some would find it useful as a one off.

Edited by RP London

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Men's and Women's sport is different, why keep comparing them?

Isn't that the same argument for when some women's teams say they want the same pay as the men ?

I am comparing quality of play and ability to attract an audience, not gender. For the same reasons you wouldn't expect a League 1 team to be paid the same as those in Super League.

I would make the same argument against the situation if a local men's amateur team was being paid the same as a Super League side.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

why are we wasting our time with men's 100m sprints when we could be watching cheetahs doing it?

There are whole athletic divisions where the highest quality global tournament is easily the NCAA competition or the US trials.

And yet the BBC still insist on showing the Olympics.

30 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Isn't that the same argument for when some women's teams say they want the same pay as the men ?

I am comparing quality of play and ability to attract an audience, not gender. For the same reasons you wouldn't expect a League 1 team to be paid the same as those in Super League.

I would make the same argument against the situation if a local men's amateur team was being paid the same as a Super League side.

Let's not move the goalposts here. Your first post was around treatment and focused on where they played. 

You have now gone down the money route in other sports, which is not relevant here.

Plenty of kids teams get to play at the Halliwell Jones. If Warrington want to have a womens RL team, which contains some of the best female Rugby League talent in the country, they can play their games where they want. Whether that is Victoria Park or wherever.

Men already have the opportunity to play at these facilities, they just need to be the best male players to realise them. 

I dont sit and tut about the u8s playing at half time because I think I could do better than them.

Considering you claim to be a champion of the womens game, why would you begrudge the odd game in a decent stadium or one game ever being televised in the UK? It's a bizarre outlook. 

The only solution to your issue is that the womens game goes back to getting no attention, no tv coverage, no sponsors or money and play on amateur fields. Why do you want that? There can really be only one answer to that.

• Like 1