Sign in to follow this  
Poower Lad

Schofield

7 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I know that it is more than the number of men's amateur RL matches shown.

Is it?

The BBC showed all the rounds of the Challenge Cup including all-amateur ties.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 13/10/2019 at 07:48, Poower Lad said:

Just to be dDevils Advocate on this . We’re these sexist comments he was making , in fairness to Gary he has always been forthright in his comments and how he compares teams in the men’s game . I didn’t see the game but is the standard poor . 

G Schofield has blocked me on Twitter, what did he say please? I assume it was on twitter.

Edited by southwalesrabbitoh

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

So that's a minimum of two live Womens Super League games a week next year then. Great.

That's not equality of standard of play. Just because the women's competition is called Super League doesn't mean it is of the same standard.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That's not equality of standard of play. Just because the women's competition is called Super League doesn't mean it is of the same standard.

The relative standard of play between the men and women's games is completely irrelevant. 

It doesn't matter how many times you bring it up, it remains irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember on the community forum a few years ago, people involved in the amateur game deriding the RFL for spending money on touch/tag rugby, because 'it did nothing to help produce super league players'.  The only participation that mattered was boys/men.  They would point to the increases in RU or athletics participation as examples to hit the RFL with.  Any suggestions that growth in RFU/athletics was driven by female or social activity was dismissed.  Any money spent on tag/touch/female/wheelchair was a waste (LDRL and PDRL weren't around then I don't think.).   Sad that such ideas hold us back.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

On TV like the women's games ???

I watched them on a regular TV. There were, I believe, on the Red Button with live text on the BBC Sport app. I know because I always make my very funny comment about people bringing dogs to games and use the bbcrl hashtag.

Now, how many women's games were on TV either in the same way or with more coverage?

I think I can think of four games that had coverage: Women's Origin, NRLW Final, Women's Challenge Cup Final, and the Grand Final.

And that appears to be too many for you?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Look, we've already agreed that until every single Super League is covered - equality of standard - that we shouldn't even be showing the Championship, let alone moving on to the NCL.

The beauty of it being on tv is that girls will watch it and think "I can play that" where as if its not on tv do people know that the game exists for them? 

Participation can rise, girls can become more involved in the game or feel more a part of the game. They may well want to go and watch both the mens and womens game (including amateur mens) because they feel involved.. 

All of this is good.. but may not happen with this exposure... so why is that exposure bad if what it gets us is good? It makes no sense whatsoever.. 

Unless of course you just dont want women playing the sport.. or think it is somehow embarrassing to show them playing   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Well, that's just a difference of opinion.

No, it's not opinion, it really is in fact irrelevant.

The decision for the women's Super League or the NRLW or the Women's 9's or international games to be broadcast on TV is going to be made without any consideration to the relative quality of the women's and men's games.

Just because you think it is important doesn't make it important.  It was irrelevant when you first brought it up and it will remain irrelevant no matter how many time you continue to bring it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I remember on the community forum a few years ago, people involved in the amateur game deriding the RFL for spending money on touch/tag rugby, because 'it did nothing to help produce super league players'.  The only participation that mattered was boys/men.  They would point to the increases in RU or athletics participation as examples to hit the RFL with.  Any suggestions that growth in RFU/athletics was driven by female or social activity was dismissed.  Any money spent on tag/touch/female/wheelchair was a waste (LDRL and PDRL weren't around then I don't think.).   Sad that such ideas hold us back.  

I think I've said before that a friend was very heavily involved in club cricket (he moved so is now less involved) and was integral in turning the committee there from one that couldn't see why they needed a women's team to one that was basically a bunch of middle aged stalkers trying to locate girls who might want to play. The reason for the change was at first they realised they could get more funding from the ECB for basic things like nets and ground improvements if they had more girls participating ... but then they realised you had more parents volunteering, more people connected to the club bringing more money in, and that when the girls'/women's teams won things their trophies looked just as good in the clubhouse. It was, and is, an incredibly virtuous circle.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

No, it's not opinion, it really is in fact irrelevant.

The decision for the women's Super League or the NRLW or the Women's 9's or international games to be broadcast on TV is going to be made without any consideration to the relative quality of the women's and men's games.

Just because you think it is important doesn't make it important.  It was irrelevant when you first brought it up and it will remain irrelevant no matter how many time you continue to bring it up.

No, it IS opinion ... all you had said was "the relative standard of play between men and women is irrelevant" and to which on that statement I have a different opinion.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No, it IS opinion ... all you had said was "the relative standard of play between men and women is irrelevant" and to which on that statement I have a different opinion.

The context of this conversation is women's Super League being shown on TV.

The relative standard of the men's and women's game is irrelevant when coming to the decision on broadcasting the women's game.

I am happy for you to think the relative standard of the two games is an important consideration when deciding whether to show the women's Super League, I'm just pointing out that it isn't actually a consideration.

And do you know how I know this? Because they are actually showing it... you see how that works?

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4