Saints in the NRL

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The biggest advantage is when the WCC is played , before the Premiers have got going at all . But it says a fair bit that for that , and even it’s here Roosters would be favourites and expected to win . Roosters are the best well drilled club side on the planet right now by a fair way 

Plus even some of the better St Helens sides have sometimes misfired badly in the WCC.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if saints played the roosters in the middle of a regular season for both teams and they both fielded full strength teams then it would be a cricket score to the roosters

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The WWC is a warm up game for the NRL champions, with a couple of days in there for the visiting players to get a quick view of some snow in February.

It will probably disrupt the SL team. 

Because the WWC is timed by the NRL season it adds in an extra wasted week onto the SL season.

23 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The WWC is a warm up game for the NRL champions, with a couple of days in there for the visiting players to get a quick view of some snow in February.

It will probably disrupt the SL team. 

Because the WWC is timed by the NRL season it adds in an extra wasted week onto the SL season.

It is always the British club making the provision to play the fixture ensuring a free weekend, the NRL clubs seemingly refuse to play it within their season structure, considering the NRL clubs have a "bye" week each throughout the season surely  when the GF winner's are known by the Ist week in Oct and they don't start the NRL comp untill March they could fit it in ................................... if they were serious about it.

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It is always the British club making the provision to play the fixture ensuring a free weekend, the NRL clubs seemingly refuse to play it within their season structure, considering the NRL clubs have a "bye" week each throughout the season surely  when the GF winner's are known by the Ist week in Oct and they don't start the NRL comp untill March they could fit it in ................................... if they were serious about it.

Aye, but the split weekends that create the byes are scheduled around the State of Origin games, are they not ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Aye, but the split weekends that create the byes are scheduled around the State of Origin games, are they not ?

And they also need an excuse if they lose. Never underestimate the importance to Australians of this factor.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As always with the WCC.

If the Roosters win, the Australians are super human and are miles ahead of us and unbeatable. 

If Saints win, the Australians don't take it seriously and weren't trying.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

48 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As always with the WCC.

If the Roosters win, the Australians are super human and are miles ahead of us and unbeatable. 

Imagine the look on the Australians' faces when they turn up for a "clear the air" and "making sure the referee knows what he's doing" meeting, only for them to find Eammon McManus already there. :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Imagine the look on the Australians' faces when they turn up for a "clear the air" and "making sure the referee knows what he's doing" meeting, only for them to find Eammon McManus already there. :kolobok_wink:

It might be the first game of Rugby League ever played when the teams have a referee each!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The population would still claim its ######-hole, that Percival isn’t as good as as Newlove, the council is the cause of all the problems....

the sun is too bloody hot, the beach is full of tourists...etc

We may be super league champions, we have a shot at club RL world champions, but when it comes to moaning the population of St Helens will beat all-comers

If I was setting the handicap I'd give Saints an 18 point head start. 

That seems a lot, but you're forgetting this Roosters side were -8 against Canberra on neutral territory after Canberra had just beaten Melbourne and Souths back to back. 

This Roosters side has the strongest side on paper in NRL history IMHO. I think they are seriously going to struggle next year with salary cap, they've been fortunate with some good youth coming through, smart recruiting and some existing players seeming to step up a level. You go through their team they have:

James Tedesco, Dally M winner, man of series SOO 2019 - Probably best player in the world. 

Cooper Cronk - Multiple grand final winner played for Australia most of his career.

Luke Keary - Probably starts for Australia when fit. 

Manu & Mitchell - I'd put them both in my top 3 centres.

Isaac Liu, JWH & Zane Tetevano - All got into NZ squad. 

Boyd Cordner - NSW SOO captain. 

Victor Radley - Made NSW squad.

Jake Friend - Has been in Australia squad.

Brett Morris - Regular in Aus/NSW squad over the last decade.

Angus Crichton - Been in NSW squad.

That's 13 players who have made international for Aus/NZ or played origin which is ridiculous. 

Being realistic with Holbrook as coach I'd expect Saints to finish 5 - 8th in the NRL. Player by player I think they would probably have 7th or 8th best side but Holbrooks coaching is exceptional which gives them the potential to go up a few spots. 

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As always with the WCC.

Both are true, but you forget that even if the Australians win, they’re still not taking it seriously.

To be honest, I’m not even sure the SL teams are taking it 100% seriously themselves these days.

4 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

If the A league soccer champions joined the Premier League they'd get stuffed most weeks.....this is the same.

NRL is miles in front of us

Not even remotely the same thing. One index has the Premier League as the No. 1 league in the world and the Australian league as the 67th best league in the world.

If you think the difference between NRL and SL is on the same level, you're taking the mickey.

2 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Not even remotely the same thing. One index has the Premier League as the No. 1 league in the world and the Australian league as the 67th best league in the world.

If you think the difference between NRL and SL is on the same level, you're taking the mickey.

Ok so replace A league with the Scottish Premier League. Either way the gap in standards week in week out is huge.... would take saints years to get up to speed.

We struggle to beat them in the WCC when they've only just reported back for pre season with beer bellys.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Saints would probably finish ahead of the Titans but they would only win 6-8 games in the season. Just think, a St. George-Illawarra Dragons team with international and SOO stars Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Tariq Sims, Cameron McInnes, and Gareth Widdop (admittedly injured a lot) could only manage 8 wins and 16 losses.

The gap with the NRL is larger than it has ever been.

17 minutes ago, eal said:

Saints would probably finish ahead of the Titans but they would only win 6-8 games in the season. Just think, a St. George-Illawarra Dragons team with Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Ben Hunt, Tariq Sims, Cameron McInnes, and Gareth Widdop (admittedly injured a lot) could only manage 8 wins and 16 losses.

Yeh , Corey Norman , Paul Vaughan , Korbin Sims etc ... not good at all . Can we not turn all this round and have St George come over for a year  and play SL and have a chance of winning something ?...With a new coach obviously

13 minutes ago, eal said:

Saints would probably finish ahead of the Titans but they would only win 6-8 games in the season. Just think, a St. George-Illawarra Dragons team with Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Ben Hunt, Tariq Sims, Cameron McInnes, and Gareth Widdop (admittedly injured a lot) could only manage 8 wins and 16 losses.

So is the salary cap,I'm sure the extra £3.2M would allow them to sign the players to make them competitive.

Saints might do ok but it's impossible to know, would you pick the same roster to play in the conditions prevalent to the NRL, probably not.

The only way they are getting close to Roosters is if they put in a lot of effort pre season to focus on that instead of the first couple of SL games, Roosters turn up short handed/not bothered/couple of training sessions beforehand AND Stains get their favourite ref to help them out?

9 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

If the A league soccer champions joined the Premier League they'd get stuffed most weeks.....this is the same.

NRL is miles in front of us

The best of SL would usually fare at the very least average in the NRL.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Archived