Saints in the NRL

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So is the salary cap,I'm sure the extra £3.2M would allow them to sign the players to make them competitive.

Sure, but that wasn't the question. The question was how the current Saints team would fare in the NRL.

Of course Saints would be competitive if they had extra money to sign James Tedesco, Luke Keary, Cameron Munster, etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh , Corey Norman , Paul Vaughan , Korbin Sims etc ... not good at all . Can we not turn all this round and have St George come over for a year  and play SL and have a chance of winning something ?...With a new coach obviously

St George at a minimum would make the Super League Grand Final. SL this year only had one good team, which is Saints. The rest were consistently inconsistent.

23 minutes ago, eal said:

St George at a minimum would make the Super League Grand Final. SL this year only had one good team, which is Saints. The rest were consistently inconsistent.

You're probably close to the truth, but we'll never know. That's why one league is easier to predict than the other.

Thankfully, even SL throws up a surprise sometimes.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

55 minutes ago, eal said:

Whereas St George were consistantly ###### and that's without them having to shed half their squad to meet the salary cap.

Two different comps,2 wildly differing salary caps.= Pointless argument.

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

To be fair you are the only one mentioning Salary caps.......the thread is debating how this current ST Helens side would do in the NRL

Yep that's the question.

The team as it stands now with the brand if RL they play would do very well in the NRL.

I think they'd have a job on not finishing bottom........week in week out the standard would be too high.........they can win games in 20 minute blasts in Super League.....they'd probably have to play as good as they did in the grand final for 80 minutes every week in the NRL to tread water.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

6 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I think they'd have a job on not finishing bottom........week in week out the standard would be too high.........they can win games in 20 minute blasts in Super League.....they'd probably have to play as good as they did in the grand final for 80 minutes every week in the NRL to tread water.

Absolute nonsense. 

West Tigers nearly made the 8 and they've got a much worse squad than Saints. Corey Thompson and an aging Benji Marshall were 2 of their best performers this year. 

There is a massive gap between the bottom half of the NRL and bottom half of SL but to say that Saints wouldnt tread water is garbage. 

I don't think they would finish bottom but would be confident in no higher than bottom four. As someone mentioned above, the Dragons who came second last in 2019 probably have a man for man better squad than Saints.

Saints are based of a physical power game played up the middle which gives the backs space to attack. In the NRL they would not be able to steam roll teams like they do in super league which would negate their backline which in comparison to most NRL sides is poor.

North Queensland Cowboys came 14th in 2019, one spot above the Dragons with the below starting forward pack. Would you take the below or Saints?

8. Jordan McLean (former Aus player)

9. Jake Granville (decent hooker)

10. Josh McGuire (former Aus player current Qld player)

11. Coen Hess (2018 Qld player)

12. Gavin Cooper (2018 Qld player)

13. Jason Taumalolo (Consensus best forward in the world)

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

I don't think they would finish bottom but would be confident in no higher than bottom four. As someone mentioned above, the Dragons who came second last in 2019 probably have a man for man better squad than Saints.

Saints are based of a physical power game played up the middle which gives the backs space to attack. In the NRL they would not be able to steam roll teams like they do in super league which would negate their backline which in comparison to most NRL sides is poor.

North Queensland Cowboys came 14th in 2019, one spot above the Dragons with the below starting forward pack. Would you take the below or Saints?

Their pack is too reliant on Taumalolo. If he doesn't play well the others go missing. Cooper is 34 and past it, Hess and McClean had a couple of good seasons but were average this year. 

Saints are just as reliant on their backs for go forward than their forwards. Their backs are much better than NQC and Saints are far more structured, it was quite clear JT was holding the side together. Morgan is a ball runner not an organiser IMO and you can't operate in the NRL without an organiser. 

14 hours ago, RSN said:

Absolute nonsense. 

West Tigers nearly made the 8 and they've got a much worse squad than Saints. Corey Thompson and an aging Benji Marshall were 2 of their best performers this year. 

There is a massive gap between the bottom half of the NRL and bottom half of SL but to say that Saints wouldnt tread water is garbage. 

What about Josh Reynolds and Robbie Farah........Wests Nearly made the 8 which for me makes them better than Saints but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Jackson Hastings struggled to get in the Manly first team but he's the best player in Super league........If he jumped back on a plane down under would be be one of the best in the NRL now? 

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

28 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

What about Josh Reynolds and Robbie Farah........Wests Nearly made the 8 which for me makes them better than Saints but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Jackson Hastings struggled to get in the Manly first team but he's the best player in Super league........If he jumped back on a plane down under would be be one of the best in the NRL now? 

Josh Reynolds played less than 10 games and was told in July he wasn't part of the clubs long term plans. 

Robbie Farah was 35 in January and wouldn't make the top 10 hookers in the league. 

Hastings improved massively in SL and would go back a new player. He lost his confidence in the NRL which is a very tough league to get it back in, his form in SL has been noted by a few respected Aus pundits. He wouldn't go back the best player, but the debate isn't that the best in SL would be the best in NRL you're stating the best in SL would be at the bottom of the NRL which just isn't true. 

The NRL is massively stronger. The Titans who were shocking would put 50 into SL sides outside the top 5. But Saints would 100% compete with the side they have. Some of the performances from their players at international level prove they can compete with NRL best.  

1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

This current Saints team would be third, behind Roosters and Storm.

You look down a match up with Canberra, for example, and Saints win most of the key battles (except second row!).

You could be right.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

2. Nick Cotric

3. Jarrod Croker

4. Joseph Leilua

5. Jordan Rapana

6. Jack Wighton

7. Aidan Sezer

8. Josh Papalii

9. Josh Hodgson

10. Iosia Soliola

11. John Bateman

12. Elliot Whitehead

13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson

15. Emre Guler 

16. Corey Horsburgh

17. Dunamis Lui

Those Canberra Backs and Front Row look pretty weak compared to Saints team. 

45 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

This current Saints team would be third, behind Roosters and Storm.

You look down a match up with Canberra, for example, and Saints win most of the key battles (except second row!).

Absolutely no chance 

18 hours ago, AB90 said:

Wouldn't swap the Cowboys front row for the current Saints front row. Walmsley, Roby & Thompson are better players than McLean, Granville & McGuire. However you would probably say the opposite for their back row. Even though Taumalolo has had a pretty poor year (by his standards) he's still one of the best forwards in rugby league.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Hypothetically talking about who has better players is never a true indicator of how a team may perform against another. Rugby League is a team game and I think we've seen Salford and Castleford in recent times show you don't need world class players to become a very good team. Saints over the last couple of seasons have been an exceptional team; flowing rugby at times backed up by excellent defence - all through good coordination, teamwork and communication; and can play for 80mins. The current Holbrook team would surprise a few in the NRL... 

Thompson would be a standout in  the NRL

Walmsley,Makinson and even an aging Roby would do well.

Coote & Naiqama would hold their own

Knowles,Lees have the potential to step up,but the rest would struggle to make an impression.

20 hours ago, AB90 said:

I would take the Saints pack as a unit. Taumalolo is the best forward in the world and I would have him in my world 13 but after that i think that pack are flat track bullies who failed to stand up in 2019.

The Saints front row in particular are miles ahead.  Granville is the single most overrated player in the NRL, the retirement of Thurston has shown how good he made Granville look, his distribution is genuinely the worst of any professional hooker in any league in the world.  He is a shockingly bad dummy half.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I would pay good money to watch Saints play the Raiders in a competitive game. Both great teams to watch and I think it would be a fantastic contest.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would pay good money to watch Saints pay the Raiders in a competitive game. Both great teams to watch and I think it would be a fantastic contest.

They say in some  Boxing circles that "Styles make fights"

Some of that could be true in our game, we see where some teams have a "bogey" opponent where they lose more than they win even though they should carve them up on form.

I am no fan of the Raiders but I would put my money on them tearing Saint Helens a new bum 9 out of 10 times.

It is stacked with Test and SOO players and the ones that are not capped will be soon, bookies would have them 5-1 favourites.

Just my opinion.

I agree I would like to watch the game.

Looking forward to the Roosters and Saints in the WCC

Archived