Sean O'Loughlin to miss Lions Tour

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sad end to a great player’s service but, to be quite honest, his goose is cooked and I wouldn’t have picked him anyway.

Completely agree.

However, I’d like to go on record and say O’Loughlin for England has been immense; an excellent player and deserves a lot of praise and recognition.

I am a great fan of him, and feel a little shame in thinking that this is sort of a blessing in disguise. Given his injury record, it is better that he's out of the squad now, than picking up a tour-ending injury Down Under and leaving GB a man short with matches to play.

And there some very tasty potential replacements waiting for their chance to rip in at international level.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The cynic in me says he has been told he should make an announcement about being injured and ruled out as a face saving measure for not being selected. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

13 is an interesting spot and key to how you play . SOL out , big Sam out . So who’s spot is it now I wonder 

I expect him to play a big middle there with a good engine.  So Luke Thompson for me.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On merit he hasn't been good enough to get into the GB squad. He's not even Wigan's best loose forward this year. To me it just shows how well respected he is that rather than being simply omitted from the squad they've provided a press release.

From a Wigan perspective it's the news I was hoping for. If he's going to play for Wigan again next year he needs a full off season to be anywhere near his best again.

The 2019 Dream Team had Knowles at 13, and he's likely to be on his way Down Under anyway as part of the Welsh Nines squad. His nationality would also add to the GB-ness of the line-up.

But I'm sure Bennett has already made his own contingency plans for that position, as So'L was never 100% guaranteed to be fit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DavidM said:

Back row of bateman, whitehead, thompson? Certainly wouldn’t find much better

Yes, I like that. And we have a pretty strong front row rotation with Walmsley back to his best now.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Back row of bateman, whitehead, thompson? Certainly wouldn’t find much better

Certainly wouldn't like to play against that trio.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The 2019 Dream Team had Knowles at 13, and he's likely to be on his way Down Under anyway as part of the Welsh Nines squad. His nationality would also add to the GB-ness of the line-up.

But I'm sure Bennett has already made his own contingency plans for that position, as So'L was never 100% guaranteed to be fit.

Was he born in Barrow in Flintshire in fairness?

I think we should be told.

Back to the topic of this thread, will we see a resurfacing of this month's "RL World cover" thread?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

13 is an interesting spot and key to how you play . SOL out , big Sam out . So who’s spot is it now I wonder 

The role of 13 seems to have died out. SOL began as a ball player 13/auxiliary nr6.  But has evolved into a hybrid 13/ middle as he got bigger/older.  So given the way the game has gone, and in the absence of Harry Pinner type, then nr 13 will be effectively an extra prop (ie as suggested, Thompson).  

I guess the argument is whether the replacements will be 3 "props" plus 2nd hooker. Or 2.

I suggest Graham as captain. Interestingly enough Graham is on the verge of entering SOLs age & fitness time frame.  I hope he keeps it going for a bit longer.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Sean O'Loughlin is out of the Lions tour due to Injury

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50034410

This will probably be the end of his international career I'd have thought. With Burgess out I guess we'll be looking at James Graham as captain

Sad for him, good for us GB/England fans he won't be playing 

Take him as an assistant coach? 

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Makinson also out and Roby doubtful.

Yeh shame that . Good to see tommy go down there and show some of those ignorant doubters from last year what he can do , and what we know he can do . I wonder who the next can of the rank will be there ....I guess it would be Clark with Hodgson as to the hookers

Archived