Sean O'Loughlin to miss Lions Tour

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Gareth Ellis was still capable of playing at a good level late into his career. The same goes for Greg Bird.

While O'Loughlin really seemed to be struggling having returned from the pectoral injury I think people forget that at the start of the year he was in some good form and playing the full 80 when most expected him to be spelled. He's had numerous games where he's made more carries than an average forward and made plenty of tackles.

If you look at his work rate in the following games, it's superior to the vast majority of our middles:

Saints (Jan) - 37 tackles, 13 carries

Leeds (Feb) - 29 tackles, 23 carries

Hull (Feb) - 37 tackles, 18 carries

Wire (Mar) - 37 tackles, 13 carries

HKR (Jun) - 48 tackles, 15 carries

Leeds (Jun) - 37 tackles, 14 carries

Huddersfield (Jun) - 25 tackles, 19 carries

Salford (Sep) - 38 tackles, 10 carries

Bearing in mind that O'Loughlin has rarely had a full off-season due to playing international games or being injured, I don't see why he can't still play at a high level next year. It's not like his stamina has gone, as the examples above show. Perhaps he was overworked early on and not managed correctly, but O'Loughlin anywhere near his best for 40 minutes is a damn useful player to have.

You see many sports stars having a late-career surge, simply because withdrawing from internationals gives them the first proper off-season in maybe a decade or more. I think it's time for So'L to take this step, just to see what it does for his body.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Widdop at 1, Lomax at 6, Hodgson 7, Roby/Clarke at 9.

And considering how blessed we are with Second rows don't count Bateman out for a centre spot, this 2019 version of Bateman is very much more suited to playing centre than the 2017 model, the new one has actually got a passing game the old hadn't and Bennett played him in all 8 games including the opening friendly against the CAS team at centre.

What happened to your not playing players out of position? You’ve got our most creative 6 at fullback to accommodate a non kicking one trick pony,one of the best 9s in the NRL at scrum half and the best backrower in the NRL stuck in the centres.

17 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

If you say so.

However, the lack of structure in his game makes him wholly unsuitable to play as a pivot in international rugby against the likes of NZ.

Plus. his defence isn't up to it.

He was very good in last year’s series win against New Zealand, so I can’t agree. 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

On a serious note, I’d have Knowles at 13 with Thompson prop. 

Of more concern is if Makinson is injured. We’re surprisingly light on fit wingers now with Johnstone and Manfredi out. Is Hall fit? 

Just wondering if Ratu Naulago qualifies, he's been in the British army for 8 years and resident here, the ockers have a 4 year residency rule for their overseas born players IIRC or is that just onion?

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

We are not going to beat NZ with a chicken with no head running around at Stand-Off.

My guess is that Widdop will play 7.

Coote will get a nod at 1.

We have 2 centres in place all ready. 

Wingers? Some have already forgotten McGillvary.

This leaves 6. A number of options are available.

If Widdop were to play 6, then this begs a question as to who would be 7. 

Alternatively ignoring the  number on the jersey, then which half plays left side and who the right?  

I can still see Widdop 7 and Williams 6. 

All good grist to the mill.  Perhaps we can create a board game based on it?

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

My guess is that Widdop will play 7.

Coote will get a nod at 1.

We have 2 centres in place all ready. 

Wingers? Some have already forgotten McGillvary.

This leaves 6. A number of options are available.

If Widdop were to play 6, then this begs a question as to who would be 7. 

Alternatively ignoring the  number on the jersey, then which half plays left side and who the right?  

I can still see Widdop 7 and Williams 6. 

All good grist to the mill.  Perhaps we can create a board game based on it?

I understand the arguments for and against playing Australians in the GB/England teams, and I have no wish to get involved in a discussion about it, but I have been watching RL for 50 years, and it was always my wish to see a team of Brits/English players beat the other teams.

I am not enthused about a GB team containing the likes of Coote and Hastings.

22 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I understand the arguments for and against playing Australians in the GB/England teams, and I have no wish to get involved in a discussion about it, but I have been watching RL for 50 years, and it was always my wish to see a team of Brits/English players beat the other teams.

I am not enthused about a GB team containing the likes of Coote and Hastings.

That's a different issue.

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Is it? How is it a different issue if you are proposing Coote for FB?

Thete us at least one other thread about whether Aussies etc should at for GB/ England.  I've contributed to it.

This thread started by looking at replacements for SOL, I admit it's wondered a bit.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Thete us at least one other thread about whether Aussies etc should at for GB/ England.  I've contributed to it.

This thread started by looking at replacements for SOL, I admit it's wondered a bit.

Yes, it has, but I still think it's relevant to state a preference for home grown players in any discussion about who should be in the team for this test series.

I realise that I am probably in the minority with regards to my preference, but it's mine, and I am going to hold onto it.

Coote and Hastings are both great players, and I have enjoyed watching them both this year, but I think they should be sat at home when the test series starts.

27 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Yes, it has, but I still think it's relevant to state a preference for home grown players in any discussion about who should be in the team for this test series.

I realise that I am probably in the minority with regards to my preference, but it's mine, and I am going to hold onto it.

Coote and Hastings are both great players, and I have enjoyed watching them both this year, but I think they should be sat at home when the test series starts.

It's not really a mere preference, it's just that to me it's a bit pointless trying to consider a likely team if you ignore people who are qualified.   Anyway like I said there is an other thread. 

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

That’s playing him out of position though Harry , regardless of him doing it before you’re lessening the effect of one of your best players and limiting you’re offensive threat out wide . I’m not shifting him or Whitehead , they’ve got those spots nailed down and it’s a really strong area for us , I’m not for breaking it up . We need centres then find a centre 

I'm not suggesting playing Bateman in the centre I am relating to what the Aussie Fossil - Bennett - did in the '17 WC, is he beyond repeating the same and as I said  Bateman is now better equipped to play centre, and if you are relating to Austin in your find a centre suggestion, you know my feelings about putting a GB shirt on the backs of Australian's, besides he would also be playing out of position.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'm not suggesting playing Bateman in the centre I am relating to what the Aussie Fossil - Bennett - did in the '17 WC, is he beyond repeating the same and as I said  Bateman is now better equipped to play centre, and if you are relating to Austin in your find a centre suggestion, you know my feelings about putting a GB shirt on the backs of Australian's, besides he would also be playing out of position.

No not relating to Austin Harry  , guys like Connor Percival Gildart ... that’s their gig most weeks so have faith in them 

14 hours ago, Davo5 said:

What happened to your not playing players out of position? You’ve got our most creative 6 at fullback to accommodate a non kicking one trick pony,one of the best 9s in the NRL at scrum half and the best backrower in the NRL stuck in the centres.

Hi Dav, I wasn't advocating playing Bateman at centre read it back, I said in the last WC Bennett played him in each and every game at centre Bateman couldn't pass the ball then, he can now, so will Bennett repeat his selection process?

At 6, agree with you re Widdop but if we are going to field both him and Lomax in my opinion that is the best way to play them I don't think Lomax offers anything at FB.

Hodgson can do the creative work from 7 it is nust another shirt number on his back.

I don't want Coote, Hastings or Austin anywhere near the team, they are Aussies not British.

11 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's not really a mere preference, it's just that to me it's a bit pointless trying to consider a likely team if you ignore people who are qualified.   Anyway like I said there is an other thread. 

Still relevant though Rupert, you made it so with your selection of Coote at FB.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

No not relating to Austin Harry  , guys like Connor Percival Gildart ... that’s their gig most weeks so have faith in them 

I do David, it was Bennett who played a second row in the centre, i would have had Percival in at centre in '17 before Bateman everytime, Bennett seens to have no faith in Percival so I expect Connor and Gildart to get the nod, IF Bennett does not repeat his Bateman antics.

Archived