Sean O'Loughlin to miss Lions Tour

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Salford's forwards sorted Smiithies out the other week, to young and inexperienced,   now that he has got a name for himself he is on the radar for the opposition forwards.

He is far too young, and may never be big enough, but he has immense talent. I am sure you have shared the rest of the game’s excitement at his emergence this year. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morgan Smithies is plenty big enough.  He is taller than Cameron Murray and Victor Radley and looks stronger and bigger than they did at a similar age.

He will be good enough to play for England and it may even be as soon as the end of next year but this tour is probably just a little too soon.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Even in this day n age you don’t always need to be plenty big enough ... you just need to be plenty tough and plenty good enough . And thank goodness for that , we don’t want a complete game of behemoths . There’s always room for smaller skilled hard guys who’s heart fills their jerseys 

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

On a serious note, I’d have Knowles at 13 with Thompson prop. 

Of more concern is if Makinson is injured. We’re surprisingly light on fit wingers now with Johnstone and Manfredi out. Is Hall fit? 

Hall and McGilvary have already been confirmed in the squad as all the England 9's squad will be in the GB squad.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Just my opinion but I don’t like Widdop at fullback, I don’t think he has the pace or running game.

Especially as we now have options there,a couple of shoulder reconstructions and the fact he's our most complete halfback.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Dav, I wasn't advocating playing Bateman at centre read it back, I said in the last WC Bennett played him in each and every game at centre Bateman couldn't pass the ball then, he can now, so will Bennett repeat his selection process?

At 6, agree with you re Widdop but if we are going to field both him and Lomax in my opinion that is the best way to play them I don't think Lomax offers anything at FB.

Hodgson can do the creative work from 7 it is nust another shirt number on his back.

I don't want Coote, Hastings or Austin anywhere near the team, they are Aussies not British.

Why do you need to accomondate both Widop & Lomax,you pick your best 6 which is Widdop,then pick a genuine fullback.

Putting Hodgson at 7 is just plain daft,he's an out and out hooker.

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Who do you think is the next cab after those two ? 

Difficult to say with so many injuries to our wingers.  Ash Handley and Reece Lyne are flying to Australia for the 9's and so will be in with a shout I guess.

How about this, now bare with me as I know its a little extreme but I think it just might work.

For Full back....we pick the best full back available.

For wingers.....we pick the best wingers available.

For centres......we pick the best centres available.

For stand off....we pick the best stand off available.

For scrum half....we pick the best scrum half available.

For Prop....we pick the best Prop available.

For second rowers....we pick the best second rowers available.

For Loose forward....we pick the best Loose forward available.

Or we carry in just fitting in the best 13 players as best we can and continue to lose games we could be winning,

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Difficult to say with so many injuries to our wingers.  Ash Handley and Reece Lyne are flying to Australia for the 9's and so will be in with a shout I guess.

Mmm , maybe so . Personally I don’t rate either as potential internationals but I’m not arguing , I was mulling the question myself . I like Marshall he’s a bit of a try scoring freak , but it’s a shame Johnstone and Manfredi are out . A fit n firing Manfredi to me is an international wing easy

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought all players in the 9s are going to be in the GB squad. 

16 minutes ago, dkw said:

How about this, now bare with me as I know its a little extreme but I think it just might work.

For Full back....we pick the best full back available.

For wingers.....we pick the best wingers available.

For centres......we pick the best centres available.

For stand off....we pick the best stand off available.

For scrum half....we pick the best scrum half available.

For Prop....we pick the best Prop available.

For second rowers....we pick the best second rowers available.

For Loose forward....we pick the best Loose forward available.

Or we carry in just fitting in the best 13 players as best we can and continue to lose games we could be winning,

Nah,can't see such an outrageous idea catching on.

30 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Nah,can't see such an outrageous idea catching on.

As a side thought, don't OZ and NSW QLD have a policy of wity the 3/4s picking the best athletes / players and moving them around so to fit them in? 

I agree with the general idea of playing people out of position isn't the greatest idea, however, a wing at centre or vice versa can work well imo. I would think Hall for example would go well at Centre as well as Wing. 

10 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

As a side thought, don't OZ and NSW QLD have a policy of wity the 3/4s picking the best athletes / players and moving them around so to fit them in? 

I agree with the general idea of playing people out of position isn't the greatest idea, however, a wing at centre or vice versa can work well imo. I would think Hall for example would go well at Centre as well as Wing. 

They have immense strength in depth though when they’re doing this with guys who are just individually brilliant so can carry most things off 

24 man squad on BBC site.

Millions of centres - not! Gildart and Connor

Full GB Lions squad: James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons) Blake Austin (Warrington Wolves) John Bateman (Canberra Raiders) Tom Burgess (South Sydney) Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves) Jake Connor (Hull FC) Lachlan Coote (St Helens) Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors) Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors) Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils) Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters) Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves) Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders) Jack Hughes (Warrington Wolves) Josh Jones (Salford Red Devils) Jonny Lomax (St Helens) Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants) Joe Philbin (Warrington Wolves) Luke Thompson (St Helens) Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers) Alex Walmsley (St Helens) Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders) Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons) George Williams (Wigan Warriors).

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Still relevant though Rupert, you made it so with your selection of Coote at FB.

Are you dim or what.  The other thread(s) on the topic are about whether we should pick Aussies or not. I'm dubious about it.  That is a fair topic. 

This one is or should be about who ... out of those available (!!!) ... should be picked in the squad.

Don't pester me on the subject any more.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hardaker! Well he could play centre so that really makes him utility.

The big question about Hardaker is can he avoid self-destruction when away from his support. And its about a year since his last episode.

21 minutes ago, TBone said:

The big question about Hardaker is can he avoid self-destruction when away from his support. And its about a year since his last episode.

The interesting thing about Hardaker is (ignoring the pejorative comments) that he could, as a utility, play full back, centre, wing and as a second row "edge" forward.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Morgan Smithies is plenty big enough.  He is taller than Cameron Murray and Victor Radley and looks stronger and bigger than they did at a similar age.

He will be good enough to play for England and it may even be as soon as the end of next year but this tour is probably just a little too soon.

Plus he was good enough to "sort out" Hull and Castleford at the end of the season and Salford in the first play off.

Thereafter the Wigan pack were somewhat rubbish. Mr Stottle is being prejudiced.

1 hour ago, TBone said:

24 man squad on BBC site.

Millions of centres - not! Gildart and Connor

Mmm interesting , he really doesn’t rate Percival ( still ) .  Not sold on Philbin personally , just my view , and there’s five props there already . And still think Trueman has some way to go , and there’s three halfbacks there so tough to see him playing much part . 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mmm , maybe so . Personally I don’t rate either as potential internationals but I’m not arguing , I was mulling the question myself . I like Marshall he’s a bit of a try scoring freak , but it’s a shame Johnstone and Manfredi are out . A fit n firing Manfredi to me is an international wing easy

Marshall spends more time with his arms in the air complaining and moaning. He's a along way down the pecking order when the others are all fit. For me Makinson and Johnstone/ Manfredi if he ever stays fit are the stand outs.

Archived