Sign in to follow this  
Cumbrian Fanatic

Sean O'Loughlin to miss Lions Tour

38 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The role of 13 seems to have died out. SOL began as a ball player 13/auxiliary nr6.  But has evolved into a hybrid 13/ middle as he got bigger/older.  So given the way the game has gone, and in the absence of Harry Pinner type, then nr 13 will be effectively an extra prop (ie as suggested, Thompson).  

I guess the argument is whether the replacements will be 3 "props" plus 2nd hooker. Or 2.

I suggest Graham as captain. Interestingly enough Graham is on the verge of entering SOLs age & fitness time frame.  I hope he keeps it going for a bit longer.

Yes I think it’s a really interesting development , and 13 is one of those spots where can do various things in regard how you want to play . Ideally you’d want a guy who can do the grunt and yards of a middle but with a bit of ball playing . Although the 1, 6,7 ,9 axis is key a lot now it does give you a bit extra if you’ve got a bit of football in that spot to . As you say , I think back to the days of Bradley Clyde , Fittler , Jason Smith etc ...it’s evolved now as it’s become more of a game of making yards and having bigger guys ( and maybe more structured and less adventurous ? ) , and I’ve no hassle with thompson as we’ve got lots of props to rotate and he’s got big minutes in him . Heck watching last nights first try walmsley could do 13 ! Also , if you’ve Hodgson he could go there for a spell if you want to get a Clark or whoever on . It’s a spot you can use various options depending on what you’re looking for 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

13 is an interesting spot and key to how you play . SOL out , big Sam out . So who’s spot is it now I wonder 

Whitehead for me he’s looked good when he’s played there for Canberra. 

If we play Hodgson at 9, and widdop and lomax somewhere in the spine, we will have enough play makers, and so can use another prop there. Thompson is a good shout. I think it is good of the GB set up to announce his stepping down in this way. He deserves it, but it is a classy way to break the news that he won’t be required. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Wherever he is on his performances for us he’s arguably the first name on the sheet 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wherever he is on his performances for us he’s arguably the first name on the sheet 

Insert feeble joke about alphabetical order here.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Talking of the spine, who the dickens is going to play at 1,6, 7 and 9 for GB?

Coote, Widdop, Williams, Austin, Hastings, Roby, Hodgson, Lomax, Clark, Tomkins and Trueman are all realistic possibilities.

Shame about the dearth of centres!

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Talking of the spine, who the dickens is going to play at 1,6, 7 and 9 for GB?

Coote, Widdop, Williams, Austin, Hastings, Roby, Hodgson, Lomax, Clark, Tomkins and Trueman are all realistic possibilities.

Shame about the dearth of centres!

Interesting one . Widdop can play 1 but is best at 6 . He’s a shoo in either way . 

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

On merit he hasn't been good enough to get into the GB squad. He's not even Wigan's best loose forward this year. To me it just shows how well respected he is that rather than being simply omitted from the squad they've provided a press release.

From a Wigan perspective it's the news I was hoping for. If he's going to play for Wigan again next year he needs a full off season to be anywhere near his best again.

He will never ever be anywhere near his best again, running hard, fearless in defence, terrific engine, and leading by example. That is the role of 20 something S O'L, he will be 37 on the 24th November.

It was sad seeing him perform in the latter games this season, a mere shadow of the Champion player he was, take a seat upstairs Shaun and leave us with the memories we have, for me there is nothing worse than seeing a once great player trying to hang onto something that has passed him by. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Interesting one . Widdop can play 1 but is best at 6 . He’s a shoo in either way . 

I would go Widdop at 1, Lomax at 6, Hastings at 7 and Hodgson at 9. 

Might find a place for Austin in the centres given the lack of quality there. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don't like to play people out of position especially in Internationals and I proberbly wouldn't for this series, but going forward Jake Conner has the size, pace, most definatley the close in ball skills, and no doubt coukd mix it up in defence, but has he got the temperament if he keeos getting niggled a lot more frequent than he already does.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We did that in the WC and he went really well , basically still came into the line to help create in attack 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't like to play people out of position especially in Internationals and I proberbly wouldn't for this series, but going forward Jake Conner has the size, pace, most definatley the close in ball skills, and no doubt coukd mix it up in defence, but has he got the temperament if he keeos getting niggled a lot more frequent than he already does.

I’d agree , Bateman and Whitehead ain’t broke don’t fix it .

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Kangaroos do it all the time, when it means getting the maximum firepower on the field.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Kangaroos do it all the time, when it means getting the maximum firepower on the field.

Fair point . Big Mal looks at his back options and openly says they’re that good they can fit in , and he gets the best options on the paddock . Like Tommy Turbo on the wing or centre . They sure have the ammo and options most of the time !

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They have the backs to do that and generally play the better players in key positions. To accommodate them all they have to play if different positions for their country. We do not have that abundance of riches or players that are even that adaptable.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Widdop at 1, Lomax at 6, Hodgson 7, Roby/Clarke at 9.

And considering how blessed we are with Second rows don't count Bateman out for a centre spot, this 2019 version of Bateman is very much more suited to playing centre than the 2017 model, the new one has actually got a passing game the old hadn't and Bennett played him in all 8 games including the opening friendly against the CAS team at centre.

• Confused 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Widdop at 1, Lomax at 6, Hodgson 7, Roby/Clarke at 9.

And considering how blessed we are with Second rows don't count Bateman out for a centre spot, this 2019 version of Bateman is very much more suited to playing centre than the 2017 model, the new one has actually got a passing game the old hadn't and Bennett played him in all 8 games including the opening friendly against the CAS team at centre.

That’s playing him out of position though Harry , regardless of him doing it before you’re lessening the effect of one of your best players and limiting you’re offensive threat out wide . I’m not shifting him or Whitehead , they’ve got those spots nailed down and it’s a really strong area for us , I’m not for breaking it up . We need centres then find a centre 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He will never ever be anywhere near his best again, running hard, fearless in defence, terrific engine, and leading by example. That is the role of 20 something S O'L, he will be 37 on the 24th November.

It was sad seeing him perform in the latter games this season, a mere shadow of the Champion player he was, take a seat upstairs Shaun and leave us with the memories we have, for me there is nothing worse than seeing a once great player trying to hang onto something that has passed him by. 

Gareth Ellis was still capable of playing at a good level late into his career. The same goes for Greg Bird.

While O'Loughlin really seemed to be struggling having returned from the pectoral injury I think people forget that at the start of the year he was in some good form and playing the full 80 when most expected him to be spelled. He's had numerous games where he's made more carries than an average forward and made plenty of tackles.

If you look at his work rate in the following games, it's superior to the vast majority of our middles:

Saints (Jan) - 37 tackles, 13 carries

Leeds (Feb) - 29 tackles, 23 carries

Hull (Feb) - 37 tackles, 18 carries

Wire (Mar) - 37 tackles, 13 carries

HKR (Jun) - 48 tackles, 15 carries

Leeds (Jun) - 37 tackles, 14 carries

Huddersfield (Jun) - 25 tackles, 19 carries

Salford (Sep) - 38 tackles, 10 carries

Bearing in mind that O'Loughlin has rarely had a full off-season due to playing international games or being injured, I don't see why he can't still play at a high level next year. It's not like his stamina has gone, as the examples above show. Perhaps he was overworked early on and not managed correctly, but O'Loughlin anywhere near his best for 40 minutes is a damn useful player to have.

• Thanks 1

Is it too late to change the front page of the 'comic to stick another player on, Garry Schofield or Andy Gregory, some other pensioners??🤣

this looks better

rlw_462_sidebar.png.4f1be16715c72978b7bfeebe98d0d418.png

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC
  • Like 1

On a serious note, I’d have Knowles at 13 with Thompson prop. 

Of more concern is if Makinson is injured. We’re surprisingly light on fit wingers now with Johnstone and Manfredi out. Is Hall fit?