Toronto set a new Sky tv record

Toronto Wolfpack have set a new record for viewing figures of a Championship game with 245,000 watching their grand final victory. This is higher than lots of Super League games.

Despite their clear draw and the value they clearly add to our tv deal with sky, Toronto won’t receive any of the Sky tv funding for an unknown reason. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/grand-final-sets-record-high-for-championship-on-sky-sports-in-2019/?utm_content=buffer6e26b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The numbers are interesting as the average was 60k down on last years MPG, so I'm not sure LRLs claim is that accurate, which wouldn't be a first.

Unless the 143k is for the M.E channel only. The 205k last year was the figure across both channels. But I'd expect the peak to be substantially higher.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The numbers are interesting as the average was 60k down on last years MPG, so I'm not sure LRLs claim is that accurate, which wouldn't be a first.

Unless the 143k is for the M.E channel only. The 205k last year was the figure across both channels. But I'd expect the peak to be substantially higher.

The article claims that it is a record for 2019.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

From a country where you can buy Sky Sports subscriptions too ?

Interest is growing the winds are favourable and the horizon is uncluttered...hoist the sails and open 'er up!

Long Live the Pack!

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The article claims that it is a record for 2019.

Good spot, not sure if that is an addition, as I didnt notice it when I read the article first time and the OP didnt quote that.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Interest is growing the winds are favourable and the horizon is uncluttered...hoist the sails and open 'er up!

Long Live the Pack!

Don’t tell Kman or we'll never hear the end of it...oh too late.

Yet Sky have never been interested in broadcasting Championship games. I wonder about their business nous.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Perhaps the difference in audience size between this year and last highlights the value to RL in TV contract negotiations of having big city clubs as opposed to small town teams.

Or perhaps it highlights the benefits of a David and Goliath battle, or perhaps it was due to the number of perceived Leeds players, or perhaps Jupiter was retrograde in Halley’s Comet... perhaps, perhaps , perhaps. 

7 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Featherstone took part as well.

Yes.

2016 - 214k

2017 - 50k

2018 - 205k

2019 - 145k

Not sure what happened in 2017, for Catalans versus Leigh, have to assume they were on a naff channel with some stuff on the main channels, but this game generally attracts good figures, and why wouldn't it?

Strictly speaking, isn't this the first time the MPG has been a Championship match? Hitherto, it has been a SL Qualifier (albeit usually contested by 1 or 2 Champ clubs).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Strictly speaking, isn't this the first time the MPG has been a Championship match? Hitherto, it has been a SL Qualifier (albeit usually contested by 1 or 2 Champ clubs).

Aye, good point, although as you say, the make-up of this game was the same as last year. The record one in 2016 was Salford v Hull KR. I can;t find figs for Wakey and Bradford for some reason.

15 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto Wolfpack have set a new record for viewing figures of a Championship game with 245,000 watching their grand final victory. This is higher than lots of Super League games.

Despite their clear draw and the value they clearly add to our tv deal with sky, Toronto won’t receive any of the Sky tv funding for an unknown reason. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/grand-final-sets-record-high-for-championship-on-sky-sports-in-2019/?utm_content=buffer6e26b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Wheres Parky? ?

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

No. 

For all intents and purposes, it served exactly the same purpose involving clubs from exactly the same league aiming to achieve promotion.

It even had the same branding on the end.

It may not technically have been a Championship match, but it most certainly is comparable to the Championship GF/MPG the other week.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

For all intents and purposes, it served exactly the same purpose involving clubs from exactly the same league aiming to achieve promotion.

It even had the same branding on the end.

It may not technically have been a Championship match, but it most certainly is comparable to the Championship GF/MPG the other week.

Not sure anyone has said it wasn't comparable. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived