Newcastle Magpies RLFC

Yes, the Newcastle Thunder MD Mick Hogan was talking about them during the streamed C1 deciders over the last couple of weekends.

There's another new club that has recently started up in Oxfordshire too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Wouldn't the name attract potential copyright issues with the round ball lot?

I can honestly say I've never heard Newcastle united be called the magpies,I had to google it to see if it's true...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

21 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

I can honestly say I've never heard Newcastle united be called the magpies,I had to google it to see if it's true...

Coming from a long line of Sunderland fans, I can confirm that Magpies is indeed one of the mainstream politer ways of referring to that lot. TBH it's surprising you haven't (big club, famous nickname, I'd say one of the ones the average person in the street would get right if handed a list of teams and asked "what's their nickname"), unless you don't know any football club nicknames in general? It's presumably why they've done it.

I wouldn't have thought it was a problem though as long as they remained a low level community club (The RL lot, not NUFC although I can dream...). Might cause issues if they marched up the system.

14 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

New club starting up, the first amateur team called Newcastle in almost 30 years: 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/new-rugby-league-club-to-launch-in-newcastle/

I thought this worth mentioning given the recent announcement that Magic is returning to the city.

Good news.

it’s not 30 years since there were clubs bearing the name Newcastle. I think Wallsend Eagles were the Newcastle Eagles until about 1996 when the pro basketball called themselves the same name. Gateshead Panthers merged with Benfield Lions and were called Newcastle Knights in or around 2000.

25 minutes ago, T Paul said:

Good news.

it’s not 30 years since there were clubs bearing the name Newcastle. I think Wallsend Eagles were the Newcastle Eagles until about 1996 when the pro basketball called themselves the same name. Gateshead Panthers merged with Benfield Lions and were called Newcastle Knights in or around 2000.

Thinking back I played for the club back in 2006 and it was still called Newcastle eagles then. I know Newcastle Knights merged with Gateshead storm and became Newcastle storm and I'm pretty sure that was 2010/11 before finally going back to Gateshead storm a year late. Someone's obviously not done the research to claim it has been that long ago 

13 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Newcastle Thunder really are doing a smashing job. RL needs more clubs like this. 

You won't be surprised to hear me say this, but this is an example of ''best practice'' which should be modeled and replicated, (by the RFL) in every development area. Someone, please record the systems,  and the mechanisms for establishing the conditions which allow such growth to sprout and blossom in the North East. So much of what we do, as a game is disjointed with hardly any sharing of best practice. The pro' clubs seem so envious of each other they jealously guard any successful initiative from the other clubs rather than exchanging information about what works.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Wouldn't the name attract potential copyright issues with the round ball lot?

No copyright issues. If NUFC have trademarked they would need permission to use it, but I seriously doubt they have since they are marketed as Newcastle United. 

That Steven Beaty should be a headhunted guy by anyone wanting to start rugby league from nothing.

It was he who got Cramlington Rockets up and running from nothing to hundreds of youngsters.

I am convinced it was he who went to Castleford Tigers but then returned to the north east.

He is now in another area doing his stuff.

Peterlee - another one of those Our Friends Up North new towns - pumas seem to have dropped right off the mark - but other areas are starting;like Alnwick.

Some good people doing some good work.Well impressed.Keep on keepin' on...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Just back home from the launch day which was a massive success! They were expecting around 20 kids by all accounts and around 50 turned up which caught them off guard a bit but it was all organised and structured really well and all the kids seemed to really enjoy themselves.

All bodes well for the future and they've got themselves a great starting point there to build for the future. 

Archived