Dual Registration - 2020

Happy with this as a Cas fan.  Decent coach at York and some good players.

Not sure how it will be deployed alongside the reserves though.  I'd imagine players who aren't in the immediate equation will probably dual reg to give them a chance to impress and win a 1st team spot.

Why does everybody look at the negatives, surely it is up to both Clubs to work it out to suit both parties. There will probably be a couple of players who are close to getting into Cas's first team and will benefit playing for York rather than the Reserve side, which standard wise wouldn't be as good as the Championship.

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not sure what players York are thinking might come to them. Cas have let go quite a few fringe players, who have been on DR previously - Maher, Gill, Egodo, Aston etc

I'd imagine the likes of Olpherts, Hepi, O Neill, Turner, Foster (when he recovers from injury) and Jamie Ellis (if he's still at the club) could be available - unless we have another injury hit year they shoulf only be fringe players.

1 hour ago, mightyship said:

Good move by York. It’s obviously worked well for Fev this year (especially)

York fans - just get ready to be called Cas Reserves / York City Tigers by the wags on here for evermore ?

Nothing new , they dubbed us York KR when we DR'd with them in 2018.

Lost count of how many times I have seen people on this forum who have assumed the return of reserves will mean the end of DR. Remember, the academy set-up has changed from U19s to U18s next year. It's fairly straightforward to work out that there is going to be a large chunk left over of what would normally be the seniors in the U19s and those guys are likely to form the nucleus of the reserves teams. What it means is that SL teams will be able to hold on to some of those 19 and 20-year-old guys who were just too old for the academy but not ready for a 1st team squad number yet.

You've only to look at the progress the likes of McLelland and Alex Sutcliffe made playing high-level Championship rugby this season to realise that SL teams are going to prefer their fringe players to be playing in competitive, meaningful games against hardened pro/semi-pro teams in front of 2-3k crowds rather than in reserves games in front of 200 people.

Archived