Why old Trafford?

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Saturday should be the biggest event in our calendar and could and should be done so much better than hiring out a tired band from the 90’s with a Persian rug. 

We seriously should link up with a TV show like Britain’s Got Talent and get one of their best performers on doing covers of tunes that more of the crowd know and enjoy.

Then do some co-promotion with the chance to perform in front of a big crowd at Old Trafford being part of the talent show competition.

Cheap entertainment, top tunes and probably the right demographic for both.  It might even encourage more interest in the game particularly from women.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We seriously should link up with a TV show like Britain’s Got Talent and get one of their best performers on doing covers of tunes that more of the crowd know and enjoy.

Then do some co-promotion with the chance to perform in front of a big crowd at Old Trafford being part of the talent show competition.

Cheap entertainment, top tunes and probably the right demographic for both.  It might even encourage more interest in the game particularly from women.

My point above proven in a matter of seconds 

We’re Rugby League fans, so you don’t necessarily attract us but there needs to be more of an event feel about the whole day rather than it being purely about the 80 minutes Rugby. 

I’ve said the same for the so-called “Festival of Rugby League”, Magic Weekend. DJ’s, bands that are relevant and current, attractions, different acts and different food and drink stalls will do a hell of a lot for the image of the game. 

Bear in mind that teams only have 1 or 2 weeks notice of the fixture.  Do we really think that Salford would have sold 13k tickets if the match had been played in Cardiff.

Old Trafford is now synonymous with the Grand Final and tradition is something to be respected.

However, RL desperately needs events and the Grand Final at Old Trafford is just that, in my opinion the next big task is too really hype the World Club Challenge, in a perfect world St Helens would be looking to host the fixture at Anfield or Goodison and look to attract the neutrals.  

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Do we need stadia bidding for the Grand Final? Magic, probably but I’d argue not for the Grand Final. 

We don't need it. If OT fits the role for now, then fine.

However, there is always room for improvement.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

38 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

So what? I'd only attend a game that was at the bottom of my garden.

And even then, only if the RFL laid on free transport. ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

OT is an awful ground in the cheap seats, IMO that's in part why they aren't taken up despite being giveaway prices.

based on what evidence? Fans have travelled in numbers to Edinburgh for the CC final, spent money going to Newcastle which isn't exactly round the corner, have you ever thought that a far nicer ground, a far nicer environment around the ground is massively more appealing and also makes it easier for fans in the South to attend?

Given it's supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport are you saying that you want it on your doorstep or you aren't going? Pretty much that's what Stains fans are like, just look what happened when your bin shed was being built, an extra 8 miles and your attendances dropped off a cliff, almost halved didn't they despite a very good 2010 season, surprised you took so many to OT to be honest given the distance?

You’re very fond of putting words in people’s mouths and trying to belittle them.

I travelled 250 miles each way to get to the game, but regardless of that it’s just common sense that your more casual fan from Leigh, Oldham, Widnes, Halifax etc are more likely to get on a train and go to the game in Manchester then go home afterwards than go down to Cardiff and get a hotel. If you think there are even 5% of the number of fans in the South as the North you’re clueless, that’s like saying we should move the FA Cup final to the Scilly Isles to make it easier for people there to get to it.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

I would say minimum 55k capacity is a sensible requirement. The NFL only demands that to host Super Bowl, a stadium should be capable of accommodating 70,000.

Why would SL want to hold the game in a 55k capacity stadium when the attendance is generally around 65k? The Super Bowl is completely different. 

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Old Trafford rocks, plus its only a tram ride from my house?. But yes the ingoal area is a little tight. 

After the game, I had to walk to Firswood to get the tram to MIA. It was only supposed to take 21 minutes, but it seemed a lot more. The OT stop was closer but was rammed with people heading in to Manchester.

My only minor complaint about OT was the height of the steps. A typical domestic riser is about 20cm. the steps at OT seemed about double that and I did see a number of people struggle.

6 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Of course.

Btw, in a previous life I sometimes stood on the Stretford End.

I really feel your pain, Ting. The view from the Kippax stand was better, as was the quality of the football. ?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Why would SL want to hold the game in a 55k capacity stadium when the attendance is generally around 65k? The Super Bowl is completely different. 

Exactly , the NFL has literally dozens of it members able to host their ' finale ' , how many does SL have ?

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Exactly , the NFL has literally dozens of it members able to host their ' finale ' , how many does SL have ?

None, which is why we need to use a football ground. I think the game should be in the North of England where 98% of fans are and Old Trafford is the only one big enough to hold it in.  

13 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I really feel your pain, Ting. The view from the Kippax stand was better, as was the quality of the football. ?

Thanks Tony!

However, I'm a Burnley fan, I used to attend some matches with friends who follow United.

1 minute ago, Mister Ting said:

I'm a Burnley fan, I used to attend some matches with friends who follow United.

I should have guessed from your avatar. My mistake. I once went to watch Burnley play United at Old Trafford. I vaguely remember being passed over the wall to sit on a bench with a number of other 'nippers'. Wouldn't happen now.

No, the entertainment required to up the value of the event so we can flog tickets at higher prices and get more people watching on TV.

I go for the beer and the game, not someone singing a song at half time, and from what I saw on Saturday 80% of others do too. 

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

I should have guessed from your avatar. My mistake. I once went to watch Burnley play United at Old Trafford. I vaguely remember being passed over the wall to sit on a bench with a number of other 'nippers'. Wouldn't happen now.

Crikey! you must be older than me. I vaguely recall some nippers sitting on the wall and unlike at OT (which had a picket fence), Turf Moor had a wall, Maine Road also had a wall.

1 minute ago, Mister Ting said:

Crikey! you must be older than me. I vaguely recall some nippers sitting on the wall and unlike at OT (which had a picket fence), Turf Moor had a wall, Maine Road also had a wall.

Way off-topic now. A pleasant exchange, nonetheless. Just call me Methusalah.?

Archived