Why old Trafford?

I think what we have now works well.

1. Grand Final - convenient for the heartlands (given we only know the finalists 1 or 2 weeks before)
  2. Challenge Cup Final - A major event in the south and has more of the 'day out' element for heartland fans
  3. Magic Weekend - A bit away from the heartlands, but not too far. Allows the opportunity for a more experimental venue.

I do think Wembley is a bit large for the Cup Final, but it does have an element of prestige about it, so understand why it is kept there.

The only question I would ask regarding venues of our big events would be internationals, which often ignore London, where we draw our largest international crowds.

I agree that Old Trafford isn't perfect, but it is more atmospheric than Wembley for one. This is an event that should stay in the heartlands and there is no other venue that is large enough to compete in the north yet.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

None, which is why we need to use a football ground. I think the game should be in the North of England where 98% of fans are and Old Trafford is the only one big enough to hold it in.  

I concur , the idea of taking it ' on the road ' is ' nuts ' 

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I go for the beer and the game, not someone singing a song at half time, and from what I saw on Saturday 80% of others do too. 

That’s great mate, but the sport in the U.K. could do with making it a much bigger money spinning event than just an all day drinking session for the regular fan in Manchester.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That’s great mate, but the sport in the U.K. could do with making it a much bigger money spinning event than just an all day drinking session for the regular fan in Manchester.

Like what though? How would you make it a bigger event? I’m not saying it’s not possible I just don’t know what you’d do?

A lot of people enjoy exactly what you describe (the pubs in town were rammed with fans of all clubs) and the atmosphere at the game is better as a result. I didn’t see any trouble either, not a sniff of it.

54 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No, the entertainment required to up the value of the event so we can flog tickets at higher prices and get more people watching on TV.

The Entertainment happens on the pitch , everything else is incidental , what we do need is more kids playing the sport and more fans watching at every level , that is the problem we face , not a few thousand shirt of capacity at OT 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Like what though? How would you make it a bigger event? I’m not saying it’s not possible I just don’t know what you’d do?

A lot of people enjoy exactly what you describe (the pubs in town were rammed with fans of all clubs) and the atmosphere at the game is better as a result. I didn’t see any trouble either, not a sniff of it.

There’s plenty of examples in other sports who have gradually built big events out of their showpiece finals.

Its more difficult for us because we have less seed money so the key is to be more imaginative in our approach.

What we don’t want to do is bury our heads in the sand and say sod it it let’s make it an all day drinking session with rugby.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s plenty of examples in other sports who have gradually built big events out of their showpiece finals.

Its more difficult for us because we have less seed money so the key is to be more imaginative in our approach.

What we don’t want to do is bury our heads in the sand and say sod it it let’s make it an all day drinking session with rugby.

What sports and events do you mean though? I’m not trying to challenge or say you’re wrong, I just can’t think of any, in this country anyway?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The Entertainment happens on the pitch , everything else is incidental , what we do need is more kids playing the sport and more fans watching at every level , that is the problem we face , not a few thousand shirt of capacity at OT 

I think you need to look at the whole package if you want more families participating and fans watching at every level.

Its not enough in 2019 to just put on a game of rugby league, you’ve got to to put on an event and make it feel like a happening.

It’s a tough market is entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I do agree , the RL comes first , then the drinking , unlike Toronto it would seem , what's your opinion of their marketing approach ?

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you need to look at the whole package if you want more families participating and fans watching at every level.

Its not enough in 2019 to just put on a game of rugby league, you’ve got to to put on an event and make it feel like a happening.

It’s a tough market is entertainment.

If you want to watch BGT ? , Then fine , watch it , I'll have a beer and watch the rugby 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What sports and events do you mean though? I’m not trying to challenge or say you’re wrong, I just can’t think of any, in this country anyway?

20/20 cricket, Ashes Test Matches, NFL matches in London, NBA matches in London, MLB in London, even RU Six Nations matches.

Thats the competition you are up against.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Have you ever been to a RU International ?

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

20/20 cricket, Ashes Test Matches, NFL matches in London, NBA matches in London, MLB in London, even RU Six Nations matches.

I assume they don't drink beer and watch the game at these ' events ' ?

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Nope, I’ve watched many though and spoke to many more people in Manchester who want to attend them than our Grand Final.

You've got to ask why that is?

What do they do at them ?

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

20/20 cricket is a massive ###### up, so are test matches and six nations games, no idea about the basketball or baseball but they’re American sports exhibition games and not really comparable. We can’t compete with NFL as a sport and shouldn’t try to. 

So nothing to learn at all?

From NFL? They are awash with money and I’m told (by someone on this forum recently) that the London fixtures are loss making events, so whatever they do is just not comparable with the GF. I’ve been to a Wembley NFL game and it was excellent, but I don’t think that razzmatazz would suit the GF anyway, and neither is RL suited to it as there aren’t breaks in between plays. 

They feel like they’re part of something clearly that is more than boozing.

So do people at the GF, and I assure you there is just as much drinking going on before, during and after an England international at Twickenham as there is at the GF. 

Archived