Why old Trafford?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

From NFL? They are awash with money and I’m told (by someone on this forum recently) that the London fixtures are loss making events, so whatever they do is just not comparable with the GF. I’ve been to a Wembley NFL game and it was excellent, but I don’t think that razzmatazz would suit the GF anyway, and neither is RL suited to it as there aren’t breaks in between plays. 

So what’s your plan then, Eddie?  

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

After the game, I had to walk to Firswood to get the tram to MIA. It was only supposed to take 21 minutes, but it seemed a lot more. The OT stop was closer but was rammed with people heading in to Manchester.

My only minor complaint about OT was the height of the steps. A typical domestic riser is about 20cm. the steps at OT seemed about double that and I did see a number of people struggle.

I got the tram without any problems from Trafford Bar.

I'm so looking forward to coming over for a GF. Old Trafford looked terrific on the telly and Laura Wright singing Jerusalem moved me almost to tears. When a game of RL can do that to you not much to complain about.

Great reasons on why it should be in Old Trafford. I can see why alot of people prefer it overall. Over here in Canada we have the Grey Cup weekend that is bid on by cities more than one year in advance. The bid city puts on festivals for each team in the league during that weekto celebrate their team. The final usually sells out. The CFL ain't no NFL. I still loved the final and hope to make it next year. 

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They feel like they’re part of something clearly that is more than boozing.

From what I've seen at such ' events ' , they watch the game , drink beer and sing songs , exactly what I and most others do at RL ' events ' 

53 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Nope, I’ve watched many though and spoke to many more people in Manchester who want to attend them than our Grand Final.

You've got to ask why that is?

Because there is no shortage of stupid people in this world , and RU and American sports attract plenty , football get the rest 

The Magic Weekend, Grand Final, Cup final and semi final double header are big enough events and add enough to a local economy to have a bid process in place for all 4 maybe even tied in with regular internationals.

That would be the best commercially for the game in my opinion.

For those worried about the crowd if we moved from Old Trafford, I’d hope there should be plans in place to sell more than half the tickets for any final BEFORE the two teams even get there.

We should be selling these as huge events to the general public who want to attend something big. Just like darts and boxing do. 

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Because there is no shortage of stupid people in this world , and RU and American sports attract plenty , football get the rest 

If that makes you feel feel better.

The sport you claim to love was probably handed to you. You probably had little choice.

Instead of dismissing the issue with the typical snub, why don't you take the time to ask yourself a few questions.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

36 minutes ago, Cdd said:

The Magic Weekend, Grand Final, Cup final and semi final double header are big enough events and add enough to a local economy to have a bid process in place for all 4 maybe even tied in with regular internationals.

That would be the best commercially for the game in my opinion.

For those worried about the crowd if we moved from Old Trafford, I’d hope there should be plans in place to sell more than half the tickets for any final BEFORE the two teams even get there.

We should be selling these as huge events to the general public who want to attend something big. Just like darts and boxing do. 

Seriously , darts and boxing ? , 

7 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

If that makes you feel feel better.

The sport you claim to love was probably handed to you. You probably had little choice.

Instead of dismissing the issue with the typical snub, why don't you take the time to ask yourself a few questions.

You ask them , it'll be quicker and more fun 

3 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Horrible stadium old trafford..

When city do the other end taking the capacity upto 63,000  we should move the grand final there..

63,000....and in another 15 years it will look just as dated as OT is now.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

The legroom won't get smaller will it!

The sightlines won't change will it!

The ingoals won't dangerously shrink will they!

The metrolink station won't move will it!

It's not about it being dated...it's the overall experience..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

8 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

I got the tram without any problems from Trafford Bar.

Your research was obviously better than mine. Well done. I shall bear that in mind should I get to OT again.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

I guessed right. You're more into having fun and quickies whilst talking borelox.

I find RU boring , well the Northern Hemisphere version anyway , I can just about bare the odd NFL highlights or play off game final quarter when it's all on the line , not going to start watching rounders and while I loved playing basketball in my youth it is the most boring spectator sport ever invented 

Is that ok?

6 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Horrible stadium old trafford..

When city do the other end taking the capacity upto 63,000  we should move the grand final there..

Why are they increasing the capacity, despite the unprecedented (and bought) success of the last few years they still have to advertise tickets on Talk Sport. 

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Our little secret?

It’s hardly a little secret, there were 64,000 people there with probably treble that watching on tv. People need to remember that RL is very much a regional sport and punches well above its weight attendance-wise. You never know, if people started celebrating that instead of being so negative all the time enthusiasm might spread. 

One thing I would like for the Grand Final is for it to be also broadcasted on FTA. With the new TV deal coming up and the persistent line that it is going to be worth less than the current settlement then I think sky should lose exclusivity. As cricket gave realised, FTA is a big part of building the profile of the game.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why are they increasing the capacity, despite the unprecedented (and bought) success of the last few years they still have to advertise tickets on Talk Sport. 

Indeed , it isn't nicknamed the ' Emptyhad ' for nothing , I work with my brother in law , ' big ' City fan apparently , and yet as a Man Utd fan I've watched city more times than him ( and I stopped watching live soccer 25 years ago ) 

So given their huge success and supposed Manchester based support , they struggle to fill their stadium 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It’s hardly a little secret, there were 64,000 people there with probably treble that watching on tv. People need to remember that RL is very much a regional sport and punches well above its weight attendance-wise. You never know, if people started celebrating that instead of being so negative all the time enthusiasm might spread. 

It’s a regional sport with aspirations.

It’s obvious that trying to promote the GF as a cheap boozy do isn’t the way to grow it in the long term.

We need to appeal outside the regulars by turning it into an event that people want to attend who aren’t the hardcore.

Basically, rugby league in the U.K. isn’t brimming with cash and one way to change that situation is to maximise the potential of the Grand Final.

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s a regional sport with aspirations.

It’s obvious that trying to promote the GF as a cheap boozy do isn’t the way to grow it in the long term.

We need to appeal outside the regulars by turning it into an event that people want to attend who aren’t the hardcore.

Basically, rugby league in the U.K. isn’t brimming with cash and one way to change that situation is to maximise the potential of the Grand Final.

What would you do then?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Because in the league the stadium is more or less sold out most of the time. I guess you just read 'Emptihad' and stuck with the narrative. 

Since when did advertising to sell tickets became a taboo in sport?

Archived