Why old Trafford?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

So you think 10,000+ people that want to go should be excluded from the final, just because some people want the match to raise more money from corporates?

I didn't mention corporates, so ask the people who said that. I also said that we shouldn't do it until the capacity is 65k.

But it is not a bad position to be in having demand outstrip available seats.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I didn't mention corporates, so ask the people who said that. I also said that we shouldn't do it until the capacity is 65k.

But it is not a bad position to be in having demand outstrip available seats.

So I assume the top tier of the Fergie stand wasn't available for the GF.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 19:58, Mister Ting said:

In an ideal world, we'd have half a dozen or more stadiums bidding to stage this great event.

The Millennium Stadium didn't bid for next season's Pro14 final  so why would they bid for the Superleague final? The final is now at the Cardiff City stadium(32000 capacity rather than 70000)!!

On 17/10/2019 at 17:06, Mister Ting said:

As you suggest, Leeds are miles from having a 50,000 capacity stadium. If I were a Leeds fan, I'd e hoping for at least 55k.

For staging a RL major final, anything under 60k would have to be special enough to generate any offset of a smaller capacity.

I don’t think they are miles away...I just don’t know. It depends on when they get promoted, how long that will take is the question mark. When they do finally make it I see the ball rolling very quickly as the riches on offer in the Premier League are vast. Income from foreign broadcasters almost exceeds income from domestic broadcasters (pretty much unheard of in any other sports league) and that’s only going to increase. Leeds are one of those clubs (top 7 or 8 in England) that are attractive to quality players (and coaches) so once back I see them staying, and with that will come the stadium upgrade. Elland Road being in RL heartland I can see it being an appealing venue for some RL finals (for example world club challenge, CC semi-finals).

7 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

The Millennium Stadium didn't bid for next season's Pro14 final  so why would they bid for the Superleague final? The final is now at the Cardiff City stadium(32000 capacity rather than 70000)!!

The SL Final is a bigger event than the Pro14 Final. That could be one reason.

On 17/10/2019 at 12:43, Sports Prophet said:

Why should the GF be in the North of England?

Why does the Challenge Cup have to be held at Wembley?

There are merits for hosting them where they are now, but, I also think there is merit to swapping them.

I like the idea of the rugby league’s biggest showpiece being hosted in the nation’s capital city at the nations largest, most iconic stadium. I would also suggest there is more chance of selling out Wembley with a SL GF over a CCF.

You need to deal with the world as it is not the world as you would dream it to be.

Here are a couple of things everyone who knows anything about Rugby League in the UK knows:

1. the sport's heartlands, and 100%, so far, of the Grand Final teams, are from the north of England.

2. The finalists are known about 8 days before the final

3. Arranging transport from the north to Wembley at that 8 days notice would be a logistical nightmare which would put people off. 

There is no way, at the sort of timeframe we're dealing with, that the final at Wembley would attract more than the final at OT.

If any of the underying factors above change we can revisit it. But they've not changed in the last 100 years.

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

I don’t think they are miles away...I just don’t know. It depends on when they get promoted, how long that will take is the question mark. When they do finally make it I see the ball rolling very quickly as the riches on offer in the Premier League are vast. 

I would think the real reason we hear talk of Elland Road expansion has to do with the rumoured Qatari (same people that own PSG) takeover of LU. If that happens, then there's really no ceiling to what ER could become. 

Archived