20 Oct: England Knights v Jamaica KO 3pm

Jamaica in! As Daphne du Maurier might have put it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some good handling in that last try.  

Gone, as a contest  but very committed these England lads.  Richardson with nice distribution and Sam Powell had a sound 30 mins.

Wouldn't be so sure its gone totally yet Jamaica been much better this half and England now down to 12 as King is sin binned for stupidity 

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Wouldn't be so sure its gone totally yet Jamaica been much better this half and England now down to 12 as King is sin binned for stupidity 

Nearly right Tom.  Better contest 2nd half and played in good spirit.

Poor discipline with head high shots  though from England.

Powell can play when he wants and cuts to rubbish out.  

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

What was the score?

38:6 at FT.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Very glad I went today had a good time at the match and was nice to see a team I'm supporting win at Headingley for once this year.

But for the love of god can we play some internationals in Summer I'm frozen to the bone

The commentators mentioned that their teeth were chattering too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, JonM said:

Post of the year. Top work Futtocks.

I had that one waiting and, after the first half, was really, really hoping the Reggae Warriors would score a try. :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

7,113 announced as the attendance.

And people still try and make out that a full strength England can't have the likes of Tonga et al touring because it wouldn't pay. Barely anyone I knew even knew about this knights match and it had little to no publicity. 7,113 is a very respectable crowd.

Excellent day out, bit parky but good entertainment at a very fair price.

I have to say I was really impressed by the crowd turnout today, lots of folks seemed to be sampling league for the first time which has to be a great thing. As I walked in I overheard a few comments such as "so what sort of rugby is this?" and " so is this a b team cos of the world cup?"

And any RL match that has women in saris taking selfies by the pitch is a winner in my book.

Lots of positives to take from today.

Didn't get to see this one. Who did well for England?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Must be mad but I’m on my way back from this. 

First half was all England and Jamaica barely had a PTB in the Knights’ 20. 

Second half was largely in England territory due to ill-discipline/a helping hand by Thaler depending on how you view it. 

If Jamaica can find a halfback from somewhere they could be dangerous at the World Cup. They will certainly give some of the lower tier nations a game.

Danny Richardson was very good for England. Ran the show from the right side of the field where many of the tries were scored.

Good turnout in the South Stand bolstered by c.2000 tickets given to the Jamaican community in Leeds.

The steel band playing during the game was ace.

The Jamaican anthem was hilariously overly long and hammy. Twice the crowd applauded before the singer launched into another verse!

If today was a taste of 2021, I can assure you Jamaica will add some real flavour to the World Cup. 

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Must be mad but I’m on my way back from this. 

First half was all England and Jamaica barely had a PTB in the Knights’ 20. 

Second half was largely in England territory due to ill-discipline/a helping hand by Thaler depending on how you view it. 

If Jamaica can find a halfback from somewhere they could be dangerous at the World Cup. They will certainly give some of the lower tier nations a game.

Danny Richardson was very good for England. Ran the show from the right side of the field where many of the tries were scored.

Good turnout in the South Stand bolstered by c.2000 tickets given to the Jamaican community in Leeds.

The steel band playing during the game was ace.

The Jamaican anthem was hilariously overly long and hammy. Twice the crowd applauded before the singer launched into another verse!

If today was a taste of 2021, I can assure you Jamaica will add some real flavour to the World Cup. 

Sounds like it was an entertaining game and good occasion, why do you say you must me mad for going to it?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Steve13 said:

Really pleasantly surprised at the number of Jamaica fans. Must have been at least 10% of the crowd. An enjoyable end to the season and struck once again by just how good Headingley is. 

Judging by the crowd noise I'd say a lot more than 10%, certainly around us was very well populated with Jamaican fans of all ages, sizes, sexes and creeds!

Although the game was a bit one sided , especially the first 30 minutes, I thought the Jamaicans showed great effort to keep themselves out of a proper trouncing, which I suspected not many wanted.

I thought, Minikin took his chances well, the halves looked good at times, as did Smithies, English and Ashworth were a handful when they came on and Kruise looked busy.

For Jamaica, Peltier, Farrell and Thomas at 9 impressed, but they need better halves, Coleman and Woodbourn-Hall created very little.

A decent afternoon despite the weather, the steel band made it a far more enjoyable visit than It usually is at Headingley.

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sounds like it was an entertaining game and good occasion, why do you say you must me mad for going to it?

Only in the sense that it’s an almost 500-mile round-trip for an England A game. Glad I went, however.

Jamaica games will be fun at the World Cup. Can’t wait for it, to be honest. Only two years to go!

Archived