20 Oct: England Knights v Jamaica KO 3pm

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Only in the sense that it’s an almost 500-mile round-trip for an England A game. Glad I went, however.

Jamaica games will be fun at the World Cup. Can’t wait for it, to be honest. Only two years to go!

Good man.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nearenough said:

Excellent day out, bit parky but good entertainment at a very fair price.

I have to say I was really impressed by the crowd turnout today, lots of folks seemed to be sampling league for the first time which has to be a great thing. As I walked in I overheard a few comments such as "so what sort of rugby is this?" and " so is this a b team cos of the world cup?"

And any RL match that has women in saris taking selfies by the pitch is a winner in my book.

Lots of positives to take from today.

'Bit Parky' do you mean that the crowd spent the entire match moaning that they weren't proper Jamaican's and Perez had promised they would be and a portion of the crowd was there on freebies!?

A mixed bag today on the field but overall a very enjoyable day out.

Slightly negative things out of the way first:
1. Useless online ticketing system that wouldn't let you buy junior tickets OR buy 'print at home' tickets. Thank you Leeds for your shiny new three-quarters of a stadium but ###### technology.

2. Leading on from number 1 - massive queue to collect online tickets and huge confusion over where you could buy tickets with cash. 

3. Rather pedestrian rugby by England (I'm open to criticism on this one but I thought it was a bit 'meh' from England rather than exhibition rugby against a 'minnow' team).

4. Massive queues for half time refreshment despite a smallish attendance.

Anyway, hugely positive things:
1. Jamaica fans. Loads of them having a great day out with their colourful presence and flags everywhere

2. Steel band instead of the usual dirge from the south stand

3. Jamaica never giving in and showing plenty of talent

4. Jamaica's no 1 and no 12 (Golding and Powell?) were outstanding

5. The Jamaican national anthem. So, so funny. It went on for days and everyone was laughing. Reminded me of an old Harry Enfield sketch which I'll try and find online.

6. The view from the new north stand. (Shame about the west terrace but never mind, it's only away fans)

7. Watching international rugby for £15 and £5 for kids.

8. Minikin, Richardson, Powell and Evalds all did well. Richardson looks a good signing for Cas.

edit: found it - The Paquador national anthem. Anyone who was there today will empathise

10 hours ago, Clogiron said:

'Bit Parky' do you mean that the crowd spent the entire match moaning that they weren't proper Jamaican's and Perez had promised they would be and a portion of the crowd was there on freebies!?

No ah meant it wernt reet waarm

I tried to watch it on Our League, (i loved it) but while the first half was pretty good (transmission) at half time it started buffering and then stalled completely, so i couldn't get the second half at all. It was very disappointing and of course (if others had the same experience) embarrassing, for the game. Given the other grumbles about the difficulty of purchasing the viewing rights, I hope they are going to spends some money to sort out the glitches or people will be turned away in droves. WTF are they doing? 

15 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

A mixed bag today on the field but overall a very enjoyable day out.

Slightly negative things out of the way first:
1. Useless online ticketing system that wouldn't let you buy junior tickets OR buy 'print at home' tickets. Thank you Leeds for your shiny new three-quarters of a stadium but ###### technology.

2. Leading on from number 1 - massive queue to collect online tickets and huge confusion over where you could buy tickets with cash. 

3. Rather pedestrian rugby by England (I'm open to criticism on this one but I thought it was a bit 'meh' from England rather than exhibition rugby against a 'minnow' team).

4. Massive queues for half time refreshment despite a smallish attendance.

Anyway, hugely positive things:
1. Jamaica fans. Loads of them having a great day out with their colourful presence and flags everywhere

2. Steel band instead of the usual dirge from the south stand

3. Jamaica never giving in and showing plenty of talent

4. Jamaica's no 1 and no 12 (Golding and Powell?) were outstanding

5. The Jamaican national anthem. So, so funny. It went on for days and everyone was laughing. Reminded me of an old Harry Enfield sketch which I'll try and find online.

6. The view from the new north stand. (Shame about the west terrace but never mind, it's only away fans)

7. Watching international rugby for £15 and £5 for kids.

8. Minikin, Richardson, Powell and Evalds all did well. Richardson looks a good signing for Cas.

edit: found it - The Paquador national anthem. Anyone who was there today will empathise

There must have been 4 encores and 5 rounds of applause before the poor girl had emptied her lungs ?

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I tried to watch it on Our League, (i loved it) but while the first half was pretty good (transmission) at half time it started buffering and then stalled completely, so i couldn't get the second half at all. It was very disappointing and of course (if others had the same experience) embarrassing, for the game. Given the other grumbles about the difficulty of purchasing the viewing rights, I hope they are going to spends some money to sort out the glitches or people will be turned away in droves. WTF are they doing? 

That could be down to your internet connection though, rather than an our league issue

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That could be down to your internet connection though, rather than an our league issue

Yes, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Part of the motivation for my post was to discover whether anyone else had had the same experience.

It's sod's law that Virgin would start messing with my (normally fast) connection just as the half time whistle went.

I haven't pursued it with them or RFL but if it is the RFL then its bound to put people off in future and put downward pressure on revenues.

It's also true that Virgin's service doesn't win any prizes for reliability either. 

I'm just fed up of always having to do things twice (or three times) before you can get what you want. 

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Part of the motivation for my post was to discover whether anyone else had had the same experience.

It's sod's law that Virgin would start messing with my (normally fast) connection just as the half time whistle went.

I haven't pursued it with them or RFL but if it is the RFL then its bound to put people off in future and put downward pressure on revenues.

It's also true that Virgin's service doesn't win any prizes for reliability either. 

I'm just fed up of always having to do things twice (or three times) before you can get what you want. 

I had issues paying but the coverage was ok 1st half then pixelated a bit through the 2nd.

It is what it is. Low budget with minimal equipment but even Premier had problems.

Imo RL is crying out for something to replace premier and the Champs and upper end of Div 1 could generate some decent viewing figures due to the competitive nature.

With TWP out of the way I reckon next year will be very competitive.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I had issues paying but the coverage was ok 1st half then pixelated a bit through the 2nd.

It is what it is. Low budget with minimal equipment but even Premier had problems.

Imo RL is crying out for something to replace premier and the Champs and upper end of Div 1 could generate some decent viewing figures due to the competitive nature.

With TWP out of the way I reckon next year will be very competitive.

I wonder whether with significant numbers of people tuning in at half time, their capacity to transmit was choked. (you can tell I know nowt about how t'internet works). Anyway, its worth spending some cash to get this right because as you say, decent viewing figures, could yield some proper money. 

21 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I wonder whether with significant numbers of people tuning in at half time, their capacity to transmit was choked. (you can tell I know nowt about how t'internet works). Anyway, its worth spending some cash to get this right because as you say, decent viewing figures, could yield some proper money. 

In my case, its me PC, little buffering memory and as the action increases the worst it gets... action as in movement - that is if the film/TV programme has little movement like sheep in a field then its fine....

Archived