Record SL tv audience for 2019 Grand Final.

cookey

I see that this years Grand Final attracted a record tv audience since it's inception in 1996. Apparently 43% up on last years game between Wigan and Warrington.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say that if you allow for x,y and z and take into account a,b and c whilst giving account to m,n and o,then actually the audience was the lowest ever for a game of rugby in the UK.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cookey said:

I see that this years Grand Final attracted a record tv audience since it's inception in 1996. Apparently 43% up on last years game between Wigan and Warrington.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say that if you allow for x,y and z and take into account a,b and c whilst giving account to m,n and o,then actually the audience was the lowest ever for a game of rugby in the UK.

Great news

It shows that the rise of Salford is probably the most important and pivotal moment in British RL this century.

A successful Salford gives us Manchester which is huge for the profile of the game nationally as the city is probably the UKs 2nd city in terms of influence.

Great news, which seems to be a nice continuation of an upward trend in TV ratings for super league this year. Combined with the increased value of Betfred's title sponsorship, and crowds going up a little bit, this year has seen some good signs. With big names joining a number of top clubs, and Toronto coming in, there's no reason the trend can't continue next year too. Add a home ashes series and then a world cup into the mix, and it could be a good few years for English rugby league.

i'm not big on how the TV deal is negotiated etc but this has got to be good news for that surely.. in the end the more people watching = the more people that the advertisers will be hitting so the more you can get for the advert segments. 

Shows why they need to have new blood in the finals too.. same old same old is just that, now can we work on getting rid of the loop fixtures so its not the 20th time the teams have played each other in a season... all of which would help IMHO

30 minutes ago, cookey said:

obviously if you do the calculations right its just the people not at the stadium when the stadium was sold out that were just sitting at home instead as they werent that interested.. .nothing to see here. :kolobok_ph34r:

I’m sorry but all this stuff about it being good news is just rubbish. Rugby League is dying, everybody knows that, we won’t get a TV deal and community clubs are closing at a rate of five a day, as for Toronto they’re going to kill the game off completely they don’t even produce any players and all their fans are cardboard cut outs. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I’m sorry but all this stuff about it being good news is just rubbish. Rugby League is dying, everybody knows that, we won’t get a TV deal and community clubs are closing at a rate of five a day, as for Toronto they’re going to kill the game off completely they don’t even produce any players and all their fans are cardboard cut outs. 

you forgot.. "and cant play their home games at home at the start of the season"..  and "small backwaters are rubbish" HTH

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And set against the fact that 19.3 million watched the final episode of game of thrones on hbo alone these numbers are quite feeble , showing we still have a lot of work to do 

This is absolutely fantastic news.  What an increase on last year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It is terrific news. I think the SL relegation battle, followed by the Championship GF (whilst the SL play-offs were taking place) built the excitement week on week to a fantastic climax at Old Trafford. Its a huge contrast to the Super 8 - Middle 8 shambles last year, where everyone's gaze was directed downwards rather than up. Congratulations (and thanks) to Salford, for adding some spice by surprising everyone with their dogged climb to the top. Congratulations too, to Robert Elstone (and the SL chairmen) for having the foresight to make the changes. The stars really do seem to be aligned in our favour. Let's hope we do well in the 9's and GB whitewash the opposition in the next few weeks. This is an occasion to be proud lads and look forward with some optimism.

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It is terrific news. I think the SL relegation battle, followed by the Championship GF (whilst the SL play-offs were taking place) built the excitement week on week to a fantastic climax at Old Trafford. Its a huge contrast to the Super 8 - Middle 8 shambles last year, where everyone's gaze was directed downwards rather than up. Congratulations (and thanks) to Salford, for adding some spice by surprising everyone with their dogged climb to the top. Congratulations too, to Robert Elstone (and the SL chairmen) for having the foresight to make the changes. The stars really do seem to be aligned in our favour. Let's hope we do well in the 9's and GB whitewash the opposition in the next few weeks. This is an occasion to be proud lads and look forward with some optimism.

I was one of those in favour of keeping the Middle 8's because I enjoyed the Championship vs. Super League element.

But I have to say I was wrong.  The top 5 play off's in both leagues allowed us to showcase the quality end of the table (while still having a thrilling relegation battle that went to the last day of the season).

The viewing figures and the excitement of the play off's/Grand Final is evidence of a good decision being made.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think it simply shows that people were intrigued by Salford's 'journey' and the whole fairy-tale aspect of that, set against yet another repeat of Wigan vs Warrington, or Saints vs Wigan or Leeds vs Saints etc etc ad infinitum.

Top two viewed games of the season involved Salford, maybe this will finally answer the question what do Salford bring to SL.

All joking aside it shows what happens when  the public engage in the process and games. lets hope next year the GF is Salford V Huddersfield!!

I don't think there can be much doubt that Salford's presence in the final was a big contributory factor.

There were so many stories surrounding Salford it made it an easier sell to a floating fan.

Good scheduling too, having the final on a football international weekend as we have done for a few years now. 

Hopefully we can have more new teams there in years to come.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

This is value of having a big city team in the final rather than a small town like Wigan ?

I'm not sure if you're joking but it's probably true. The population of Salford is 250k and im sure lots of people in surrounding areas associate with the city too.  It probably did have an impact on viewing figures when compared to a town team like Wigan.

Edit: this may be rubbish as Wigan's metropolitan population is bigger than Salford's!

Archived