Record SL tv audience for 2019 Grand Final.

cookey

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

This is value of having a big city team in the final rather than a small town like Wigan ?

I agree to a large extent. The big challenge for the game is to do all it can to make sure that Salford get the fixtures and support they need to best build on this next year. If they ask to play local derbies for the first run of home fixtures then they should be granted that. Having seen at first hand how London failed to turn Wembley into anything I am hoping we learn the lessons from there. 

Everybody’s second favourite team? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I agree to a large extent. The big challenge for the game is to do all it can to make sure that Salford get the fixtures and support they need to best build on this next year. If they ask to play local derbies for the first run of home fixtures then they should be granted that. Having seen at first hand how London failed to turn Wembley into anything I am hoping we learn the lessons from there. 

Everybody’s second favourite team? 

I thought that was Toronto ?

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

It is terrific news. I think the SL relegation battle, followed by the Championship GF (whilst the SL play-offs were taking place) built the excitement week on week to a fantastic climax at Old Trafford. Its a huge contrast to the Super 8 - Middle 8 shambles last year, where everyone's gaze was directed downwards rather than up. Congratulations (and thanks) to Salford, for adding some spice by surprising everyone with their dogged climb to the top. Congratulations too, to Robert Elstone (and the SL chairmen) for having the foresight to make the changes. The stars really do seem to be aligned in our favour. Let's hope we do well in the 9's and GB whitewash the opposition in the next few weeks. This is an occasion to be proud lads and look forward with some optimism.

Let's hope greed doesn't take over and they keep P+R, as I think the Relegation battle created a lot of interest compared to the dead rubbers that Franchising creates. Also well done to Salford for giving us another great story and a new face in the final. Lastly, some cracking games in the Championship Play Offs, all of which has contributed to a season end which got people talking about RL.

9 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

It shows that the rise of Salford is probably the most important and pivotal moment in British RL this century.

A successful Salford gives us Manchester which is huge for the profile of the game nationally as the city is probably the UKs 2nd city in terms of influence.

No it doesn’t. Salford is Salford. Not Manchester. I travelled from Gran Canaria to watch the Grand Final because it was my team, Salford, playing. Not Manchester. Tony travelled from Greece. We had fans travelling from New Zealand and Canada and Denmark because it was Salford. If it was Manchester in the final, I doubt that I would have even watched it on TV, especially if it was a rebirth of my Salford club.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto must be in a strong position to sell their games to sky or another broadcaster.

Well, the Toronto interim CEO told League Express this week that getting a paying TV contract could take years. Canadian broadcasters are interested but Hunter suggests they won’t make it pay. 

Reading the interview, I’d be worried that Argyle may decide he’d be better off burning hemp sacks of used C$100 bills than fund a transatlantic team in Super League on both sides of the ocean AND cover their opponents’ costs if they can’t get a paying TV deal. 

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Well, the Toronto interim CEO told League Express this week that getting a paying TV contract could take years. Canadian broadcasters are interested but Hunter suggests they won’t make it pay. 

Reading the interview, I’d be worried that Argyle may decide he’d be better off burning hemp sacks of used C$100 bills than fund a transatlantic team in Super League on both sides of the ocean AND cover their opponents’ costs if they can’t get a paying TV deal. 

It’s a new sport in Canada so it will need to be given away for a few years to build up the Canadian viewing figures before a broadcaster is willing to stump up cash.

However Toronto should be able to sell their games in the UK, as they receive nothing from the current sky deal, I don’t see how they can be stopped selling their games elsewhere. They have a proven record of attracting good viewing figures for their games in the uk.

Argle can’t pay all Super Leagues clubs costs indefinitely, if they continue to demand such ridiculous expenses from Argyle I’ve no doubt it will come to an end,  I think most are hopeful they see that and common sense prevails.

This year’s final was a good underdog story about a team based in heartland of the media outside London.

That was always going to help build awareness of the fact the game was taking place.

Couple that with the lack of other major sporting events last weekend and we were always going to be higher on the agenda in bulletins than normal.

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Have you finally changed your mind about Wolfpack MoK?

It was a great story, and one that got some coverage where the GF might not normally do. I doubt the casual fans who turned up at Old Trafford knew or cared about loop fixtures (or the season as a whole, in many cases), but they knew there was a very real chance that the minnows could pull off a memorable coup when it came to the big event at the legendary stadium.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

However Toronto should be able to sell their games in the UK, as they receive nothing from the current sky deal, I don’t see how they can be stopped selling their games elsewhere. They have a proven record of attracting good viewing figures for their games in the uk.

What do you mean sell their games in the UK?

It was serendipitous that no other sport was on. A very low-key set of football internationals and the union lot on the other side of the world gave us a free run at it.

Very good news and very good figures.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Why don’t you take this somewhere else?

Salford deserves the full attention of this thread. 

How well placed do people feel Salford are to build on this? 

I’m not expecting too much as they lost, are losing their best players to rivals, the stadium has a local reputation as a pain to get away from and they face competition from Salford City FC.

I hope there will be some kind of ripple effect for them and being there was the best marketing/promotional aid imaginable in terms of grabbing headlines in a crowded local sporting marketplace.

Just hope they don’t rest on their laurels too much at Salford now and can use it as a springboard for getting new people interested.

12 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Sadly Salford have lost their best players in Jackson Hastings and Josh Jones. I can see Salford getting relegated in 2020. I certainly think they will be in the mix with Hull kr and Wakefield. 

25 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Jackson Hastings is an enormous loss as I can’t see how Salford would have made the GF without him.

That said, it would be foolish to write them off as relegation fodder with Ian Watson in charge.

They’ve today announced the signings of Luke Yates, Rhys Williams and Elliot Kear from London. Yates in particular had a stormer of a season and is a strong signing for Salford. Dan Sarginson is an underrated player in my book. Kevin Brown played in a World Cup final. They’ll be fine.

How the Salford appearance at Old Trafford translates into larger home crowds is largely down to them. Presumably they know who bought tickets and have their email addresses...

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That means 278k was the peak for the 2018 Grand Final between Warrington and Wigan. Amazingly Toronto Wolfpack almost got that figure for their Championship Grand Final this year. Toronto must be in a strong position to sell their games to sky or another broadcaster.

The 28 day average for last years final was 300k. The peak will obviously have been much higher.

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Just imagine how big the viewership would have been if it had been on BBC in a prime Saturday slot FTA!

Don't really need to imagine - just check the challenge cup ratings.But then again, not so sure if too many people would tune in to watch amateur teams running around at Leigh - which is what the GF would be without Sky money.

10 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Don't really need to imagine - just check the challenge cup ratings.But then again, not so sure if too many people would tune in to watch amateur teams running around at Leigh - which is what the GF would be without Sky money.

So no other deal with a FTA channel would have worked out? IMO I reckon the sport would be in a far better position all round if we had been FTA for the last 23 years. No last minute match postponements/bringing forward, no inane EH, Stevo and the other clowns, likely to have kept the CC late May/early June, more spread of the international game due to more club coverage. But yeah, SKY saved the sport and nothing else would have kept the game going.

Inept leadership is why we ended up in the situation we did and have continued to be.

Archived