Mouthguard Q

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Sausage fingers said:

Rugby Novice here. I brought my son a ‘Sondico Gel-Core Mouthguard’ - he starts school rugby tomorrow.
Trouble is I’ve lost any instructions. Does anyone know if this is the type you boil to mould into place. Do all gel guards need heating? Don’t want to poison the lad!
Many Thanks 

My sons have had that one, definitly needs to be molded by sticking in boiling water then in there gobs after a quick rinse in cool water. I believe you need to put it in the boiling water for a minute but couldn't swear to that 100%. You then need them to bite down gently on it and suck to mold before running it under cold water to set. Process can be repeated if required.

If you can afford ( expensive I know)  any player how ever old should get a mouth guard manufactured by a dentist.

They fit correctly and extend past the teeth onto the supporting gums and underlying bone. Trust me I'm a doctor ?

In my old job ( now retired ) I have seen some shocking injuries caused by poor ill fitting gum shields. Getting teeth knocked out , fractured and loosened is no fun and can  be very expensive to fix in the short and long term.

And remember kids , duck if you see it coming. I didn't ...no shield in those days ...2 two broken front teeth later...

Archived