Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Eric Idle tweet

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Didn’t know he was a fan (does he post on here?), but anyway just an Eddie Waring ditty.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1184506101888241664

Interesting Tweets on Eric’s page also.

It reads like a Stanley Holloway piece.

  • Haha 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Do you mean Stanley Unwin?

It's a pastiche of the Marriott Edgar piece "Albert and the Lion", which Stanley Holloway made famous. Stanley Unwin did the nonsense "Unwinese" language.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Didn't Monty Python have a couple of Rugby League based sketches?

The Goodies (and the sort-of predecessor I'm sorry, I'll read that again) had a few Eddie-based skits. He also made a personal cameo role in The Goodies and the Beanstalk, where the golden goose egg falls from the giant’s lair. Eddie catches it, hands off a tackler and scores a try.

  • Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Didn't Monty Python have a couple of Rugby League based sketches?

I definitely remember seeing Idle dressed as Julius Caesar doing an Eddie Waring impression. Hunslet and Hull KR got a mention!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I definitely remember seeing Idle dressed as Julius Caesar doing an Eddie Waring impression. Hunslet and Hull KR got a mention!

Mike Yarwood did a regular impersonation of Uncle Eddie. According to my memory it always included, "Hull-a-Kingastone-a-Rrroverrssa and-a Wake-a-feeld-a Trrrin-aa-tee!!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil Caplin seems to be involved in the start of this.


Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Goodies (and the sort-of predecessor I'm sorry, I'll read that again) had a few Eddie-based skits. He also made a personal cameo role in The Goodies and the Beanstalk, where the golden goose egg falls from the giant’s lair. Eddie catches it, hands off a tackler and scores a try.

I’m sure that was a Goodies Christmas special.

Loved the scene based on Its a Knockout where one team fell in the piranha infested paddling pool and the lead team member pulled out the skeletons of his team mates. 😄😄😄😄😄

Those were the days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I’m sure that was a Goodies Christmas special.

Loved the scene based on Its a Knockout where one team fell in the piranha infested paddling pool and the lead team member pulled out the skeletons of his team mates. 😄😄😄😄😄

Those were the days.

First shown on Christmas Eve, 1973, but as part of series 4, rather than a standalone Christmas special.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Mike Yarwood did a regular impersonation of Uncle Eddie. According to my memory it always included, "Hull-a-Kingastone-a-Rrroverrssa and-a Wake-a-feeld-a Trrrin-aa-tee!!"

Can always remember Mike Yarwood on his xmas TV special singing 'I'm dreaming of a 'White..haven' xmas'

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

First shown on Christmas Eve, 1973, but as part of series 4, rather than a standalone Christmas special.

I'm impressed....

But AT is right, 'those were the days' .... now all we get are self serving comedians and wannabee celebrities  traipsing round the Sudan.

(and yes it's true, I am all bitter and twisted and full of cynicism )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many criticised Eddie Waring but he was known all over the country for his connection with Rugby League - but how many other people, even today, would be known throughout the land for their connection with the sport ?

If, during the 1960s and 1970s you asked people anywhere in the country not connected with the game and away from the traditional RL areas to name a personality connected with the sport they would more likely say Eddie Waring. I wonder what the answer - if any - would be given these days ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Many criticised Eddie Waring but he was known all over the country for his connection with Rugby League - but how many other people, even today, would be known throughout the land for their connection with the sport ?

If, during the 1960s and 1970s you asked people anywhere in the country not connected with the game and away from the traditional RL areas to name a personality connected with the sport they would more likely say Eddie Waring. I wonder what the answer - if any - would be given these days ?

Also as well he invited several Americans sports team owners or people with connections to American sports over here to look Rugby League and to try and get them interested in it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Also as well he invited several Americans sports team owners or people with connections to American sports over here to look Rugby League and to try and get them interested in it.

He could have used your name to promote it !!! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Also as well he invited several Americans sports team owners or people with connections to American sports over here to look Rugby League and to try and get them interested in it.

Oh, that would never have worked.

Eddie was well involved and certainly made some money from the game.  I think Stevos book covers a fair bit on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Oh, that would never have worked.

Eddie was well involved and certainly made some money from the game.  I think Stevos book covers a fair bit on him.

... and writing a book with controversial comments was a good way to make money for Stevo !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

... and writing a book with controversial comments was a good way to make money for Stevo !

No, it wasn’t great.  Stevo did a lot with the history of the game in this country and Australia.  Between him and EW, they didn’t do bad.

Said it before but what I’d give for a UK Ray Warren in the commentary box.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:45, Futtocks said:

The Goodies (and the sort-of predecessor I'm sorry, I'll read that again) had a few Eddie-based skits. He also made a personal cameo role in The Goodies and the Beanstalk, where the golden goose egg falls from the giant’s lair. Eddie catches it, hands off a tackler and scores a try.

I think it was Graeme Garden who, on I'm sorry I'll read that again, did the impressions, including Eddie Waring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...