Eric Idle tweet

32 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Didn’t know he was a fan (does he post on here?), but anyway just an Eddie Waring ditty.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1184506101888241664

Interesting Tweets on Eric’s page also.

It reads like a Stanley Holloway piece.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Do you mean Stanley Unwin?

It's a pastiche of the Marriott Edgar piece "Albert and the Lion", which Stanley Holloway made famous. Stanley Unwin did the nonsense "Unwinese" language.

17 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Didn't Monty Python have a couple of Rugby League based sketches?

The Goodies (and the sort-of predecessor I'm sorry, I'll read that again) had a few Eddie-based skits. He also made a personal cameo role in The Goodies and the Beanstalk, where the golden goose egg falls from the giant’s lair. Eddie catches it, hands off a tackler and scores a try.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I definitely remember seeing Idle dressed as Julius Caesar doing an Eddie Waring impression. Hunslet and Hull KR got a mention!

Mike Yarwood did a regular impersonation of Uncle Eddie. According to my memory it always included, "Hull-a-Kingastone-a-Rrroverrssa and-a Wake-a-feeld-a Trrrin-aa-tee!!"

Phil Caplin seems to be involved in the start of this.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Goodies (and the sort-of predecessor I'm sorry, I'll read that again) had a few Eddie-based skits. He also made a personal cameo role in The Goodies and the Beanstalk, where the golden goose egg falls from the giant’s lair. Eddie catches it, hands off a tackler and scores a try.

I’m sure that was a Goodies Christmas special.

Loved the scene based on Its a Knockout where one team fell in the piranha infested paddling pool and the lead team member pulled out the skeletons of his team mates. ?????

Those were the days.

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I’m sure that was a Goodies Christmas special.

Loved the scene based on Its a Knockout where one team fell in the piranha infested paddling pool and the lead team member pulled out the skeletons of his team mates. ?????

Those were the days.

First shown on Christmas Eve, 1973, but as part of series 4, rather than a standalone Christmas special.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

First shown on Christmas Eve, 1973, but as part of series 4, rather than a standalone Christmas special.

I'm impressed....

But AT is right, 'those were the days' .... now all we get are self serving comedians and wannabee celebrities  traipsing round the Sudan.

(and yes it's true, I am all bitter and twisted and full of cynicism )

48 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Also as well he invited several Americans sports team owners or people with connections to American sports over here to look Rugby League and to try and get them interested in it.

Oh, that would never have worked.

Eddie was well involved and certainly made some money from the game.  I think Stevos book covers a fair bit on him.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:45, Futtocks said:

I think it was Graeme Garden who, on I'm sorry I'll read that again, did the impressions, including Eddie Waring.

On 17/10/2019 at 12:47, The Future is League said:

Also as well he invited several Americans sports team owners or people with connections to American sports over here to look Rugby League and to try and get them interested in it.

Not to forget he was in charge during our most successful period in history during WW2 (challenge cup winners no less) with his ahem! ability to entice players the calibre of Jim Sullivan and Gus Risman to turn out in the red amber and black....

1 hour ago, Reverend Ram said:

Not to forget he was in charge during our most successful period in history during WW2 (challenge cup winners no less) with his ahem! ability to entice players the calibre of Jim Sullivan and Gus Risman to turn out in the red amber and black....

My father played for Dewsbury while he was there. 

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:47, POR said:

remember  nothing like a dame on morcambe and wise

And Eric Morecambe calling Eddie "the talking trilby"

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

21 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Yes but how many of those wartime Dewsbury teams were peppered with Wigan, Saints, etc players who happened to be stationed locally?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived