Musical Artists I don't "get"

Let's keep it away from "I like this kind of music and everything else is rubbish", or "everything since I were a lad is unlistenable", because that would be a very boring thread.

So, here's two big ones...

Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen. There are similar artists to both that I really like, so it isn't a question of their musical style, but Ivan'n'Bruce leave me cold pretty much consistently, and it puzzles me why.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Justin bieber

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

The Smiths, I just don't get what people see in them, Elbow are fast becoming The Smiths of today, which is a shame as in the past they have done some really good stuff.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

20 minutes ago, Padge said:

The Smiths, I just don't get what people see in them, Elbow are fast becoming The Smiths of today, which is a shame as in the past they have done some really good stuff.

It’s about the clever lyrics and Johnny Marr’s incredible guitar riffs.

I think what puts off a lot of people is Morrissey himself and his voice.

His lyrics though have proven to be timeless, real coming-of-age stuff and beyond.

22 minutes ago, Padge said:

I've never been particularly thrilled by Elbow's music, but I sort of like Guy Garvey, who comes across as a rather likeable bloke. And, unlike Morrissey, he's not yet become an embarrassing racist with delusions of literary merit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s about the clever lyrics and Johnny Marr’s incredible guitar riffs.

I think what puts off a lot of people is Morrissey himself and his voice.

His lyrics though have proven to be timeless, real coming-of-age stuff and beyond.

I never thought the lyrics to be particularly clever or evocative, but he pushed a few of the right buttons with his words, and the NME pretty much rammed the Smiths/Morrissey down the nation's throat for a very long time. And his vocal limitations didn't make listening to the music any easier (or, I'd imagine, Johnny Marr's melody-writing job).

If we can narrow down from an artist/band to a single record, I have a beef with a certain Joni Mitchell album. I absolutely LOVE some of her other peak-period LPs like Court and Spark, or The Hissing of Summer Lawns, or Hejira, but everyone goes on and on about Blue, which I find lightweight and emotionally sterile.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I never thought the lyrics to be particularly clever or evocative, but he pushed a few of the right buttons with his words, and the NME pretty much rammed the Smiths/Morrissey down the nation's throat for a very long time. And his vocal limitations didn't make listening to the music any easier (or, I'd imagine, Johnny Marr's melody-writing job).

If we can narrow down from an artist/band to a single record, I have a beef with a certain Joni Mitchell album. I absolutely LOVE some of her other peak-period LPs like Court and Spark, or The Hissing of Summer Lawns, or Hejira, but everyone goes on and on about Blue, which I find lightweight and emotionally sterile.

I guess it’s all very subjective is musical taste and I was too young to have been influenced by the NME to be fair.

I think my own thing with the music and the lyrics is whether you can relate to anything in them and for me there’s real emotion and humanity there.

Don’t bother with Morrissey’s book though as it’s one long whine fest and don’t even get me started on his politics.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The Beautiful South

I'm a big fan, it's the clever lyrics.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Never understood the adulation of the Smiths. Protest music: my daughter loved them mainly because I thought they were rubbish.

Equally, never understood the popularity of Celine Dion.  Just don't "get" her and all her works at all.

Not keen on "rap" as a genre, either. Stat talking quickly to your kids and they start to dance.

Tend to turn Mozart off when he comes on the radio. Yes he wrote thousands of tunes but they are all more or less the same except for a few notes. Heard one of his symphonies and you've heard them all. Same with his opera.

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Big American accents though.... Always comes across as fake and not genuine to me. They are from Ull!! 

Scousers sounding like half baked home counties boys is the result of trying to sing without a slight american accent.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Bruce Springsteen

Prince

Guns 'n Roses (and most US attempts at hard / heavy / rock / metal)

Oasis, Stone Roses, etc (I think the only Manc band I liked was The Smiths)

What Americans call "R and B" nowadays, too many whiny, grating voices

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Let's keep it away from "I like this kind of music and everything else is rubbish", or "everything since I were a lad is unlistenable", because that would be a very boring thread.

So, here's two big ones...

Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen. There are similar artists to both that I really like, so it isn't a question of their musical style, but Ivan'n'Bruce leave me cold pretty much consistently, and it puzzles me why.

I was the same with Ivan until I saw a street concert televised where there was great musicianship and a good atmosphere. I’ve found a few tracks by him that I really like.

I find the chord sequences and feel of this track is moving

BBC 6 Music seems to have signed some kind of contract whereby they are contractually obliged to play Kate Tempest once every hour. 

To be fair, her words are quite clever.    But her voice....dear God, it makes me want to tear holes my eardrums with my mum’s old knitting needles.  

I switch the radio off now and wait five minutes before switching it back on.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Tend to turn Mozart off when he comes on the radio. Yes he wrote thousands of tunes but they are all more or less the same except for a few notes. Heard one of his symphonies and you've heard them all. Same with his opera.

Too many notes.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Not so much an artist but … organ music. Music for the organ. For some reason, classical music includes in its repertoire the sound of a piano farting slowly fused with a bagpipist having a heart attack. I don't get it. I do not see why others get it. I have no concept of why people see musical value in this.

And Mozart.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived