Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Mumby Magic

Musical Artists I don't "get"

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Let's keep it away from "I like this kind of music and everything else is rubbish", or "everything since I were a lad is unlistenable", because that would be a very boring thread.

So, here's two big ones...

Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen. There are similar artists to both that I really like, so it isn't a question of their musical style, but Ivan'n'Bruce leave me cold pretty much consistently, and it puzzles me why.

I'm very much with you on Van Morrison in that he seems "yeah okay" but not really worthy of the adulation and devotion. I do listen to a lot of Bruce Springsteen but then there's a lot to listen to. In that back catalogue there's a period that runs from Human Touch/Lucky Town to … surprisingly recently, where he just disappeared up his own hole. He seems to be enjoying himself a lot more now and we're all the better for it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Strange thing about music someone not liking it doesn't mean there's more for the rest of us! That can't be right.

Gracie Fields

Free

Sam Costa

Hawkwind

Bee jees disco

Rap

Edited by Oxford

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Let's keep it away from "I like this kind of music and everything else is rubbish", or "everything since I were a lad is unlistenable", because that would be a very boring thread.

So, here's two big ones...

Van Morrison and Bruce Springsteen. There are similar artists to both that I really like, so it isn't a question of their musical style, but Ivan'n'Bruce leave me cold pretty much consistently, and it puzzles me why.

I went to see Van Morrison with my wife in Leeds a few years back, a one-off event given our musical divergence (we only agree on about 3 artists).

He played with 11 musicians and only played music that you could genuinely dance to. We did so and it was an unforgettable night.

Other people have said that they have been to watch him and almost walked out. I get that as I have walked out of gigs (Inspiral Carpets, Wonderstuff) but I'm sticking with my memory.

It's in my top 5 gigs, even though I've not written that list yet.....Is that potentially a good thread?

Radiohead, their stuff just leaves me puzzled as to what their appeal is. More to do with their politics than their music I reckon. It’s always struck me as music to self-harm by. 

• Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Have loads of Springsteen stuff, live shows and demos and have seen him both here and abroad many times but........ the last really great album he did was Nebraska and  last time I saw him live was with the old band at MEN Arena in 1999, it just seemed like a going through the motions greatest hits show which is everything his earlier shows weren't. I decided that was it for me, I've listened to his later stuff but nothing really impresses me. I saw a trailer that he was on the Graham Norton show!!!!! I know people mellow with age but honestly that's pathetic I will stick with my earlier stuff like Darkness on the Edge of Town which blew me away when I first heard it, I wore a cassette out in  the car within months, thanks.

As to the thread title I suppose Ed Sheeran and a lot of rap/grime leaves me cold, but I have always loved Outkast for their adaptability and humour, and Amy Winehouse just wasn't on my radar now or then.

GRIME ! , Or anything which involves talking very quickly about police,knives,guns,drugs,social injustice , usually accompanied by mindless ' noise ' 

One band that used to suck the life out of me was Queen. They used to make my ears bleed with their emptiness, but thankfully we don't hear it much now.

Mind you, that goes for absolutely chuffing EVERY SOUND that is played on Capital FM that my boys subject me to in the car. It riles me with its utter banality.

HOWEVER...
If I could put one tune into Room 101, it would be Hi Ho Silver lining, a disgrace of a record that means nothing and has ruined the atmosphere at so many rugby league semi finals and finals that I've attended. STOP IT! :kolobok_angry2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Strange thing about music someone not liking it doesn't mean there's more for the rest of us! That can't be right.

Gracie Fields

Free

Sam Costa

Hawkwind

Bee jees disco

Rap

How could I have possibly forgotten rap on my list, it's just shouting.

I'm not having Free though, how can you not like "Wishing Well" ????

You're bang on with Gracie, though.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Radiohead, their stuff just leaves me puzzled as to what their appeal is. More to do with their politics than their music I reckon. It’s always struck me as music to self-harm by. 

Like a number of bands, they went rapidly downhill after someone told them they were serious musicians 

Pablo Honey is quite fun.  The Bends is superb.   OK Computer is interesting but teetering on the cusp.   Nothing after that is worth the effort. 

Just my opinion, of course. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Over indulgent guitar or drum solos

I once fell asleep while stood up during a very loud 25 minute drum solo at a Led Zeppelin tribute band gig in Vancouver. 

In my defence, I was very jet lagged, heroically drunk, and it was an extremely dull gig. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

25 minutes ago, BryanC said:

I'm not having Free though, how can you not like "Wishing Well" ????

It just means there's more for you, that's all.

Although I put Free I will say one thing along with Demis Roussos they hold a place in the top ten gigs I've ever seen. But he could be on my list too.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

24 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Like a number of bands, they went rapidly downhill after someone told them they were serious musicians 

Pablo Honey is quite fun.  The Bends is superb.   OK Computer is interesting but teetering on the cusp.   Nothing after that is worth the effort. 

Their guitarist Jonny Greenwood has carved out a very good (and deserved) reputation for movie/TV soundtracks, though: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0339351/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Edited by Futtocks

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I never thought the lyrics to be particularly clever or evocative, but he pushed a few of the right buttons with his words, and the NME pretty much rammed the Smiths/Morrissey down the nation's throat for a very long time. And his vocal limitations didn't make listening to the music any easier (or, I'd imagine, Johnny Marr's melody-writing job).

If we can narrow down from an artist/band to a single record, I have a beef with a certain Joni Mitchell album. I absolutely LOVE some of her other peak-period LPs like Court and Spark, or The Hissing of Summer Lawns, or Hejira, but everyone goes on and on about Blue, which I find lightweight and emotionally sterile.

I get that.

But...

The influence of the NME on the public at large is very easy to overstate.

Ten years ago, I met a Spanish twenty year old girl, who considered the Smiths to be cool. I was in LA a few years ago and Hispanic youth were listening to The Smiths.

The only measure we have of quality in art is, I would suggest, what can transcent time and culture. To a surprising extent, The Smith have managed that. I am not a huge fan, but I am middle-aged and should not appreciate self-pitying self-obsessed music, it is not for me.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

34 minutes ago, Steve May said:

I lived just by South Park in Oxford and their home coming gig was a huge event. It seemed everyone was after tickets back in 2003. I was not. The gig was so close that to hear it, I merely had to keep my window open. I often did not.

The next day, people came in the lab. The general consensus was the gig was depressing. I did ask what they had been expecting.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I guess it’s all very subjective is musical taste and I was too young to have been influenced by the NME to be fair.

I think my own thing with the music and the lyrics is whether you can relate to anything in them and for me there’s real emotion and humanity there.

Don’t bother with Morrissey’s book though as it’s one long whine fest and don’t even get me started on his politics.

I think Viva Hate is a terrific CD.  There was possibly a hint of future controversy in the song Bengali in platforms. 

The remaster sounds great. 

I agree with you about the emotion and humanity. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I get that.

But...

The influence of the NME on the public at large is very easy to overstate.

Ten years ago, I met a Spanish twenty year old girl, who considered the Smiths to be cool. I was in LA a few years ago and Hispanic youth were listening to The Smiths.

The only measure we have of quality in art is, I would suggest, what can transcent time and culture. To a surprising extent, The Smith have managed that. I am not a huge fan, but I am middle-aged and should not appreciate self-pitying self-obsessed music, it is not for me.

Maybe I was soured on the whole experience by dim-witted Smiths/Morrissey fans telling naysayers that they weren't clever enough to "get" the godlike genius. It has been fun, over the intervening decades, to see nearly all of them recant as they grew out of it, even before the lead singer started to reveal his overweening hubris, unpalatable opinions and undeniably risible literary talents.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

53 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It just means there's more for you, that's all.

Although I put Free I will say one thing along with Demis Roussos they hold a place in the top ten gigs I've ever seen. But he could be on my list too.

I think Demis Roussos's best performance is on "The Four Horsemen". 

Free I really like, the ballads and slow songs show their versatility.  Fire and Water is their best album I think.

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think Demis Roussos's best performance is on "The Four Horsemen". 

That whole 666 album is an extraordinary piece of work from the era of the seriously nuts concept LP.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The Beautiful South

When REM played at the McAlpine (as was) in Huddersfield in 1995 they were due to be supported by Oasis, but by the time the date came round Oasis weren’t going to support anyone!

We got The Beautiful South instead.   They were great.   Did a brilliant cover of Some Might Say.  

REM didn’t have a clue where they were and did a professional but somewhat unenthusiastic job.  

I finally saw Oasis years later at Heaton Park.   The sound system failed, so they played a shortened set and Noel Gallagher announced we would all get our money back.  

A few weeks later an incredibly ornate, specially printed cheque arrived, complete with Noel’s signature.   Had it been 1996 I’d have framed it, put it on my wall and left the money in his pocket.  

But it wasn’t 1996, so I cashed it and got my money back.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I only know of his work from watching Abigail's party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/666_(Aphrodite's_Child_album) 

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

One band that used to suck the life out of me was Queen. They used to make my ears bleed with their emptiness, but thankfully we don't hear it much now.

My favourite band.

You're banned!! 😁 🎸

Mariah Carey.

She sells gazillions of records so somebody likes what she does, and that's fine, so long as I don't have to endure it. It's the (to me) unnecessary way she shoehorns a dozen different notes into one word of a song. It drives me crackers. Nails down a blackboard.

Apart from that Christmas one, obviously. Everyone likes the Christmas one, don't they?

• Like 1