Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Mumby Magic

Musical Artists I don't "get"

13 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Sam Smith.

Nothing to do with his politics, just can't stand his voice. 

Sam Smith would be more ###### off with the use pronoun!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Both with vocal melisma and guitar shredding, there are good and bad examples. Mariah Carey has done both in her career, and the worst examples are pretty awful examples of empty flash. But some will dismiss all of her songs out of hand.

The difficulty is if you've heard the bad examples first, you're not going to want to listen to any more of it.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

In my late teens and early 20s, I was a singer who was part of a culture where melisma (or runs/turns/vibs) were seen as something to aspire to. This was mainly because they are very hard, and if you can do them well you need to be an exceptional singer. There are plenty of examples of singers doing it who can't do it. Florence (of the machine variety) and Annie Lennox are two such examples.

Even now, I enjoy music that includes this and often because of how they do it. Some use it for the sake of using it which is where the problems come in.

Is that what's it's called? I refer to it as the Whitney warble. I can't stand it.

• Like 1

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Do you like guitar solos?

That's like comparing League to Union. You may say they're the same thing, but they aren't really!

Free Bird isn't I-e-I-e-I Will Always Love You-o-u-a-o-u-a-o-u-a-o-u-a.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

That's like comparing League to Union. You may say they're the same thing, but they aren't really!

Free Bird isn't I-e-I-e-I Will Always Love You-o-u-a-o-u-a-o-u-a-o-u-a.

League to Union is a decent comparison, they are after all very similar games.

I play piano and both would appear on the sheet music as exactly the same thing: a complicated and quick melody that is played largely on one hand using many of the same rhythms. 

A good comparison would be somebody who is good at keepy-ups. Somebody who is good at them has to be technically very good at football and have an awful lot of skill. However, that doesn't mean you're good at football or need to be good at them to be good at football. That said, sometimes they can be useful and many of the best players utilise the same skills.

Anyway, it's each to their own. I enjoyed songs for years by singers doing amazing runs and genuinely didn't realise anybody didn't like them until I was about 20. 

On 18/10/2019 at 01:19, Steve May said:

BBC 6 Music seems to have signed some kind of contract whereby they are contractually obliged to play Kate Tempest once every hour. 

To be fair, her words are quite clever.    But her voice....dear God, it makes me want to tear holes my eardrums with my mum’s old knitting needles.  

I switch the radio off now and wait five minutes before switching it back on.

Back home recently. 6 music is utter utter joy. Ive missed it so much. Mega drives are lovely listening to Keaveney et al

23 hours ago, Derwent said:

Radiohead, their stuff just leaves me puzzled as to what their appeal is. More to do with their politics than their music I reckon. It’s always struck me as music to self-harm by. 

No. A thousand times. Number 1 band . 

22 hours ago, Steve May said:

Like a number of bands, they went rapidly downhill after someone told them they were serious musicians 

Pablo Honey is quite fun.  The Bends is superb.   OK Computer is interesting but teetering on the cusp.   Nothing after that is worth the effort. 

Just my opinion, of course. 

Sigh

22 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I lived just by South Park in Oxford and their home coming gig was a huge event. It seemed everyone was after tickets back in 2003. I was not. The gig was so close that to hear it, I merely had to keep my window open. I often did not.

The next day, people came in the lab. The general consensus was the gig was depressing. I did ask what they had been expecting.

Science is pish

• Haha 1

Any Rapper.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

Any Rapper.

Grandad alert! Grandad alert! :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

21 minutes ago, Padge said:

Any Rapper.

Depends on what is ' rapping ' , Will Smith on Miami,Summertime et al is decent , other stuff less so , which brings me back to ' grime ' 

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

"I can't make out the words!"

"Call that singing? In my day..."

"Mind you, Pan's People..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

49 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

"I can't make out the words!"

"Call that singing? In my day..."

"Mind you, Pan's People..."

Or 

I have to like any kr@p to keep up my hipster credentials.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Or 

I have to like any kr@p to keep up my hipster credentials.

Oh no, the hipsters are all into the old stuff; that's their angle. Even if they call albums, EPs and singles "vinyls", which would carry the death penalty in a more civilised country.

You are not a hipster; you have entered a new and hugely rewarding age of man.

Wilfrid%20Brambell%20%20Steptoe%20&%20So

• Haha 2

On 17 October 2019 at 18:19, Steve May said:

BBC 6 Music seems to have signed some kind of contract whereby they are contractually obliged to play Kate Tempest once every hour. 

To be fair, her words are quite clever.    But her voice....dear God, it makes me want to tear holes my eardrums with my mum’s old knitting needles.  

I switch the radio off now and wait five minutes before switching it back on.

This. Have taken to reading her lyrics. 

10 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Your car, your music. Thems the rules.

3 kids, all with terrible taste. They outnumber me.

The worst thing about Capital FM is 10 minutes of adverts per 15 minutes of broadcasting. I'm sure the kids think that the ads are actual music tracks.

8 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I had to drive the 230 miles to Wales and back for Christmas in the company of Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer etc. Couldn't understand why teenagers didn't want to listen to Phil Spector's Christmas Album.

• Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

22 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

The worst thing about Capital FM is 10 minutes of adverts per 15 minutes of broadcasting. I'm sure the kids think that the ads are actual music tracks.

Wet Wet Wet, Mike and the Mechanics and the Joseph and his Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack never did me any harm as a kid.

Edited by hindle xiii
  • Like 1

Thread drift alert.

It is not I like this I don't like that.

It is "I don't get..."

46 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Wet Wet Wet, Mike and the Mechanics and the Joseph and his Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack never did me any harm as a kid.

That's another thread right there. Things you were forced to listen to as a child.

Darts and Showaddywaddy all the way to Pwllheli and back. Every weekend. Before the A55 was a dual carriageway.

www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/346337-music-you-had-to-listen-to-as-a-kid/

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

image.png.cfc97d52ba7bdff1d16a7df6ca1941ef.png Using a picture and descriptions of me to denegrate another poster is highly offensive to them.

Edited by Oxford

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”