Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Red Devils sign London Trio

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Depletes London a little more but not sure it improves Salford.  Going to be interesting seeing how both clubs perform after this year.

 

I think the London policy will continue to be picking up young players from the Championship and league 1 who are not quite ready for Super League yet and hope they improve with plenty of game time and promoting their own academy players

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yates is an excellent signing and is an improvement on the chap he is replacing IMO which is no mean feat (Griffin). Agree the other two are solid signings but not first choice I don't think. Williams is a decent player and a massive improvement on Olpherts. Watson has been after Kear for a while and he will provide decent cover but we have a lot of competition in the centres now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yates I am most upset about (but not surprised). He's a tackling machine....worth an extra man on the field at times this year

I have a feeling Rhys might end up dropping back to us or other Champ side. Strong carrier of the ball and makes metres when he catches it but makes too many errors (drops usually) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see how Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams and Regan Grace go against English Superleague players this morning.


Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yates I am most upset about (but not surprised). He's a tackling machine....worth an extra man on the field at times this year

I have a feeling Rhys might end up dropping back to us or other Champ side. Strong carrier of the ball and makes metres when he catches it but makes too many errors (drops usually) 

I think when we signed him Watson wanted a replacement for Olpherts who did the same. He can't possible drop it as much (or in as many crucial positions) as him or score as few tries. Since then Inu switched to the wing and we won 10 out of 12 with about 95% less clangers dropped, so we'll see but you might be right.

What is your view on Kear? I've only seen him a couple of times - looks solid but unspectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LR23 said:

I think when we signed him Watson wanted a replacement for Olpherts who did the same. He can't possible drop it as much (or in as many crucial positions) as him or score as few tries. Since then Inu switched to the wing and we won 10 out of 12 with about 95% less clangers dropped, so we'll see but you might be right.

What is your view on Kear? I've only seen him a couple of times - looks solid but unspectacular.

Solid and unspectacular fair. Rarely misses tackles but wouldn't call him a strong ball carrier and sometimes looks slow to me

Yates will not let you down. Only surprised one of the money bag clubs didn't bag him.... Amazingly small in real life too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

yates is an improvement on Griffin, Kear will be better than big Ben. Williams will be a squad player.

I wouldn't count Kear as a replacement for Ben who was a prop/2nd row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yates I am most upset about (but not surprised). He's a tackling machine....worth an extra man on the field at times this year

I have a feeling Rhys might end up dropping back to us or other Champ side. Strong carrier of the ball and makes metres when he catches it but makes too many errors (drops usually) 

Wouldn't a winger at a club that started on the back foot personnel wise be under far more pressure than many others at clubs that wouldn't be on the back foot from game one, both in defence and attack?

That said he made just 6 more errors over the season than Makinson, made the third most metres in SL - Makinson top but Williams only 200m behind,  7th for clean breaks so is clearly a grafter  also made just one fewer tackle bust than Makinson but beat Makinson in terms of giving away penalties, not a single one all season, his missed tackle ratio is also better than Makinson.

Whilst stats don't tell you everything I personally think you are massively underrating him.

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Wouldn't a winger at a club that started on the back foot personnel wise be under far more pressure than many others at clubs that wouldn't be on the back foot from game one, both in defence and attack?

That said he made just 6 more errors over the season than Makinson, made the third most metres in SL - Makinson top but Williams only 200m behind,  7th for clean breaks so is clearly a grafter  also made just one fewer tackle bust than Makinson but beat Makinson in terms of giving away penalties, not a single one all season, his missed tackle ratio is also better than Makinson.

Whilst stats don't tell you everything I personally think you are massively underrating him.

Wow Denton... Some stats there! 

I can only play it as I see it. He's a big old lump and carries like a trooper through heavy tackles. Rarely seen him dominated in the ruck either way. I watched live most home games and 4 away games and felt he was always likely to make a mistake in between tje good stuff

Again--really like him and hope he succeeds but I still think he'll be back ( and welcomed).  

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wow Denton... Some stats there! 

I can only play it as I see it. He's a big old lump and carries like a trooper through heavy tackles. Rarely seen him dominated in the ruck either way. I watched live most home games and 4 away games and felt he was always likely to make a mistake in between tje good stuff

Again--really like him and hope he succeeds but I still think he'll be back ( and welcomed).  

if you added one more error for every 5 games to Tommy Makinson you would have the error rate of Williams, that's nothing, I respect the fact you've watched him a hell of a lot more than I have but 6 more errors over a whole season than arguably the top winger in SL doesn't make him an error strewn player, in fact if you were to put Williams into the Saints side you would barely notice the difference given the bare stats.

Williams has had fewer opportunities than Makinson, we know this as Saints have been class all over the pitch all season, London whilst at times defying the odds just haven't. That means fewer chances to gain metres, fewer chances to break tackles, more pressure to bring the ball out, more pressure when in attack because as we've established fewer attacking opportunities comparative to other clubs, in fact all clubs really. More pressure when defending, more time defending.

So, to flip what I said above, put Makinson into the London side, how well do you think he would do given both players stats and their respective circumstances?

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

if you added one more error for every 5 games to Tommy Makinson you would have the error rate of Williams, that's nothing, I respect the fact you've watched him a hell of a lot more than I have but 6 more errors over a whole season than arguably the top winger in SL doesn't make him an error strewn player, in fact if you were to put Williams into the Saints side you would barely notice the difference given the bare stats.

Williams has had fewer opportunities than Makinson, we know this as Saints have been class all over the pitch all season, London whilst at times defying the odds just haven't. That means fewer chances to gain metres, fewer chances to break tackles, more pressure to bring the ball out, more pressure when in attack because as we've established fewer attacking opportunities comparative to other clubs, in fact all clubs really. More pressure when defending, more time defending.

So, to flip what I said above, put Makinson into the London side, how well do you think he would do given both players stats and their respective circumstances?

Other sides wouldn't have targeted Rhys like they did Makinson. From the start of the season he was the best player in the world according to the Golden Boot voters. Every team would have a specific plan to snuff him out- his lines and plays would have been video - analysed to death. 

Rhys probably didn't even register on any opponents minds. Dixon, Pitts, Yates, Cunningham and Walker maybe but not Williams. 

Honestly I think Tommy is light years ahead regardless of the stats mate 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...