Grace wants to join Holbrook

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

How many Saints players would Holbrook consider to be good enough for the NRL? Roby, Walmsley and Thompson immediately spring to mind but Roby has had more than one chance to go, Walmsley will be starting enter the final few years of his career when his current contract expires and I all I have read about Thompson is him saying that he is happy at Saints.

Media reports that Canterbury executive is/has been in Merseyside and the view is it’s for Walmsley and Thompson.  

Iirc Walmsley signed a deal recently so some serious cash would be needed for that one but Thompson becomes a free agent at the end of next season so a pay off would not be outside the realms of Canterbury.

Typical lazy journalism again. Grace may well end up in the NRL in a few years time and Thompson has already said he will see out the remainder of his Saints contract and then consider his options (plus Saints have also said they will not sell Thompson). Walmsley has had several big offers from NRL clubs but turned them all down because he has a young family and his missus doesn't want to leave their family support while their kids are so young.

I reckon Thompson will go to the NRL in 2021 and maybe Grace in 2023, but other than those 2 I can't see anyone else leaving.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Too right marra

Hang on... Won't the cold kill you up there eventually though? 

In the 1990's I was a member of a party that had a guided tour of Sellafield.

Most of (all?) the siteworkers had their trousers tucked inside knee-length red socks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

He’s a Saints employee and all his dealings should respect that. If I went on record as talking about who else I’d like to work for I’d be ostracised at the very least. Thankfully he’s not bigging up a rival sport but he is bigging up a rival competition which could be damaging to his current employer. We should have stuff in contracts about this sort of thing. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Or make other teams do more to increase crowds, sell merchandise etc. Warrington do it well, others could follow suit. 

Why don't Warrington tell them how to do it?

There is merit in assisting each other to prosper.

They are rivals on the field, but (with the games future in mind) sharing best practice as businesses, is in everyone's best interest.

Seeing the sport as a dog eat dog, zero sum game, is the cause of the ''top few'' elite club stranglehold the likes of Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leeds have over the rest.

It might swell the leading club chairman's ego's but it does nothing to nurture the game as a whole.

Look at what's happened to Bradford, a once great club.

I could say, that helping the less well informed clubs (the less professional) to model best practice would ensure the top clubs have still got someone else to play against in future.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

There is merit in assisting each other to prosper.

They are rivals on the field, but (with the games future in mind) sharing best practice as businesses, is in everyone's best interest.

Seeing the sport as a dog eat dog, zero sum game, is the cause of the ''top few'' elite club stranglehold the likes of Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leeds have over the rest.

It might swell the leading club chairman's ego's but it does nothing to nurture the game as a whole.

Look at what's happened to Bradford, a once great club.

I could say, that helping the less well informed clubs (the less professional) to model best practice would ensure the top clubs have still got someone else to play against in future.

I agree as a fan of the sport but it’s their job to keep their own club at the top. 

20 hours ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/grace-eyeing-up-nrl-move-23405/

I imagine there’ll be a few Saints following him over the next year or 2.

A shame Australia can’t produce their own players so that we have to keep supporting them ?

Good luck in selling him to the Titans.

He looks fragile and was anonymous in today's Nines where he should have shone, in fairness his side did not see much ball.

17 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd prefer Dorset (top) versus the Aussie hell hole here (bottom) 

image.jpg

2061 (1).jpg

Fair old commute from Dorset to St Helens I would think.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As others have said he would need to improve his defence especially under the high ball.

Maybe development wise he might be better off in Australia.

It’d be a gamble, but possibly one worth taking as what would he have to lose - if he doesn’t cut it he would probably still come back a better player with many suitors.

51 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Makinson, Percival, Grace potentially, Lomax, Fages potentially, Walmsley, Thompson, Roby potentially, Knowles and Lees. That doesn't mean many of them will go.

Bit of a wasted trip given they're currently in Sydney! 

No idea.  Just repeating what’s in the press.

No matter what, agents will be looking at the money - of course, in the best interests of the players.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I agree as a fan of the sport but it’s their job to keep their own club at the top. 

Yes you're right, its why the game needs someone in control who can see beyond their own short term, ego driven, craven small-time behaviours.

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes you're right, its why the game needs someone in control who can see beyond their own short term, ego driven, craven small-time behaviours.

So would you have clubs under central ownership? If we keep the salary cap this low the game can never grow and we’ll keep losing players to NRL and Union, or jobs outside of sport. If some teams can’t then compete so what, they’ll have to pull their socks up (easier said than done I accept) or others will take their place. 

Archived